2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

8 minutes ago, DanielNiver said:

I think some more of the University of Iowa results are going out. I just got a phone call and I'm in for NF! Now excuse me while I go try and calm my lungs with a mild amount of alcohol 😭

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

Crying in front of two hundred construction workers and I can’t tell them why because they wouldn’t understand. But you people will. 
Irvine!

1 hour ago, ajcam said:

OMGGGGGGG! I am crying right now. Claire Watkins from UCI just called me. I'm in for Fiction!  Still shaking. There are 5 in the fiction cohort this year. 

Well well well! Seems there are SEVERAL rounds of congratulations in order! Daniel, congrats, but we all knew this was coming 😂 Scribe, AJ, all I have to say is -- CALIFORNIA LOOOVE! have a great celebratory weekend, all.

Edited by jadedoptimist
grammEr

5 minutes ago, DanielNiver said:

I think some more of the University of Iowa results are going out. I just got a phone call and I'm in for NF! Now excuse me while I go try and calm my lungs with a mild amount of alcohol 😭

Ahhh!!! This is fantastic! Congratulations!

Do we know if any poetry responses have gone out yet?

8 minutes ago, untemperedoddity said:

Ahhh!!! This is fantastic! Congratulations!

Do we know if any poetry responses have gone out yet?

Not to my knowledge. I am a faithful sentinel. Should a poetry result be reported, on Draft or even Twitter, I will be here quietly yelling about it instantly:)

Congrats to everyone's acceptances!! :D

I just got an acceptance from Manhattanville myself! No funding offers yet-- they said those will come mid-March. The decision DID however have cute graphics with the school's mascot floating down with confetti! Their portal is probably the best-looking and most organized of the schools I applied to.

3 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Maybe I’ll see you there. I couldn’t chat. Did she say how many applications?

You’re a hero. 

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Maybe I’ll see you there. I couldn’t chat. Did she say how many applications?

You’re a hero. 

I soooo want to see you there!! hahaha She was very very sweet. I asked only cohort size (Fiction is 5 this year, 6 last year) but couldn't muster the guts to ask applications...though I did want to.  Ugh, fail. Sorry.  Does anyone have a guess? Or last years UCI application numbers?

1 hour ago, branch said:

Hi everyone! Thought I would drop in and share this for the folks waiting on word from Arizona. I reached out to them recently and asked if they had a rough timeframe for when in March to expect decisions (mentioning that I had some things up in the air and was trying to plan around them accordingly). This was their response:

Thank you for your message. Admission decisions remains in process and typically continues through the end of May, and occasionally through June. All decision notices will be sent to the email address listed on your application file. We understand that this spans the course of several months and we appreciate your patience as we move forward with the admissions process.

I suspect that they will be taking a while this year, and this was also a helpful reminder that not all programs are going to be shooting off all their decisions before March 1—if anything I think I've gotten a little spoiled by these super early notifications, lol. 

EDIT: Another update—I shared this in Draft but not here, but I also called NCSU earlier this week to ask if they could clarify the change in application status from "Awaiting Decision" to "Department Review." They said this just means the application is with the admissions committee. I alluded to the fact that acceptances and waitlists had gone out and said I was assuming I didn't make it to the final round. Direct quote: "Unless you receive a definite 'no,' you still have a chance." 

Deep breaths!

Wait through May or June?? I'm not waiting until then to finalize where I'm going LOL. If they can't give a decision before April 15th for whatever reason (like the university is in financial trouble 🙃), then they're off the table for me.

1 hour ago, DanielNiver said:

LOL what the hell Daniel 😂 But seriously congrats!!! I am so, so curious about your work hahaha. If you've gotten in then I probably also still have a chance, given that all my waitlists are at programs you yourself have been accepted or waitlisted at (not that I need more waitlists at this point 😂)

1 hour ago, DanielNiver said:

Congrats to you!!!! I could have guessed this one. ☺️ 

3 hours ago, Scribe said:

Crying in front of two hundred construction workers and I can’t tell them why because they wouldn’t understand. But you people will. 
Irvine!

YESSSSS SCRIBE!!! So happy for you!!! 💙

2 hours ago, ajcam said:

OMGGGGGGG! I am crying right now. Claire Watkins from UCI just called me. I'm in for Fiction!  Still shaking. There are 5 in the fiction cohort this year. 

Congratulations!!! Amazing!!❤️❤️❤️

56 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

Wait through May or June?? I'm not waiting until then to finalize where I'm going LOL. If they can't give a decision before April 15th for whatever reason (like the university is in financial trouble 🙃), then they're off the table for me.

I mean I assume they’re thinking that far out because of waitlists, but if you’re concerned you can always email them yourself. They were perfectly cordial and responsive. Good luck!

1 hour ago, ajcam said:

I soooo want to see you there!! hahaha She was very very sweet. I asked only cohort size (Fiction is 5 this year, 6 last year) but couldn't muster the guts to ask applications...though I did want to.  Ugh, fail. Sorry.  Does anyone have a guess? Or last years UCI application numbers?

she told me "oh... hundreds". I didn't have the guts to push for more. but i really want a more specific number. i don't know wtf is wrong with me. 

On 2/27/2024 at 7:19 PM, seeleimraum said:

Cool, thanks! Maybe you can update here after your call? Just want to manage my expectations. Congrats again!

Heya, just had my call with Oregon. I think I saw waitlists went out yesterday, so I'm not sure how much they'll have to draw from it / if they're done with all their decisions. FWIW I am waitlisted at Illinois, which was my top choice, but now I might go to Oregon regardless... 

D'oh I forgot to ask how many applicants they had.

8 hours ago, dasiena said:

Also not to triple text in the g chat (sry) but how normal is it have literary agents going into an MFA? I've looked up current students at IWW as well as recent Iowa admits to see that a few already have literary agents, one being signed with the same agent as Sheila Heti (holy shit). I'm wondering why someone would want to get an MFA if they already have an agent. I guess it would just be a sort of long paid fellowship to work on the book they are already set to publish? Seems cool & wish it could apply to me. Also is a little discouraging. 

I’m agented and I’m getting an MFA because I want to teach. A lot of my fellow agented writer friends are getting MFAS to teach, because they are in between contracts and tbh some just want to sharpen their writing.

I haven’t been accepted anywhere (lol) but if I am I wouldn’t work on any books that are currently in contact to be published during the program because I think that’ll be unfair honestly. I want to start fresh on something new and if that ends up being published one day then yay! My agent also said that it probably wouldn’t be a good idea anyway to work on a book that’s already been set to be published. 

all that to say being agented hasn’t given me a leg up as far being accepted into a program, also more than likely already agented folks are 9/10 working on new things that haven’t been put on submission yet. 

39 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

YESSSSS SCRIBE!!! So happy for you!!! 💙

Congratulations!!! Amazing!!❤️❤️❤️

Thank uuuuu!!!!

3 hours ago, Scribe said:

she told me "oh... hundreds". I didn't have the guts to push for more. but i really want a more specific number. i don't know wtf is wrong with me. 

oh i totally get it. I have the same need. I also have imposters syndrome rn, so...🫠

Congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances lately! I haven't been on as much (currently in Nashville for a conference so a bit distracted). 

After  7 firm rejections though, I got my first waitlist at the University of South Carolina for poetry today! Makes me really happy tbh even if nothing comes of it. 

Edited by GoldenTree

12 minutes ago, GoldenTree said:

After  7 firm rejections though, I got my first waitlist at the University of South Carolina for poetry today! Makes me really happy tbh even if nothing comes of it. 

I was waitlisted at South Carolina last year (and seemingly not this year...) and didn't make it off. Hope it works out for you! I'm a fan of their faculty and it seems like a great, underrated program.

Site is officially completely unusable for me. Too many malware risks. I can't even stay on the page for too long before my anti-virus forcibly redirects me. Talk to you guys later, I guess. Wishing y'all all the best in the meantime.

Is it weird I thought I’d get into Iowa because I saw an Iowa sweatshirt in a thrift store in my hometown (in North Carolina absolutely nowhere near Iowa) back in December? Then again, in January, I saw a guy in Philly wearing a UMass Amherst sweatshirt and thought that was a sign too - haven’t heard a peep from either school. Lol.

5 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Is it weird I thought I’d get into Iowa because I saw an Iowa sweatshirt in a thrift store in my hometown (in North Carolina absolutely nowhere near Iowa) back in December? Then again, in January, I saw a guy in Philly wearing a UMass Amherst sweatshirt and thought that was a sign too - haven’t heard a peep from either school. Lol.

Not weird at all. Signs are all around us...  Last summer, leading up to application season, I found an Iowa stamp fridge magnet with a cornfield and a tractor on it. I've kept it since and I've been trying to imbue it with positive energy to boost my chances of acceptance through manifestation😂