2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

9 minutes ago, itsbeensnowing said:

I just got a telemarketer spam call from an Irvine phone number. I know UCI is done calling, but it still gave me a heart attack when I saw the missed call.

that's ironic. a lot of my spam/scam numbers come from Nevada.  Irvine called me from a Reno number.  I almost ignored it but something told me not to. 

And if you missed it, FAU called me from an Iowa City number. 

Does anyone have info on Virginia Tech for poetry? Draft shows one poetry acceptance and one waitlist - both recorded over one month ago. My app portal still says "awaiting decision" and I'm wondering what's going on... Insights appreciated!

Just now, seeleimraum said:

Does anyone have info on Virginia Tech for poetry? Draft shows one poetry acceptance and one waitlist - both recorded over one month ago. My app portal still says "awaiting decision" and I'm wondering what's going on... Insights appreciated!

Last year, they didn't send out rejections until 3/20. So, they take their sweet time.

30 minutes ago, Writerishlife said:

Do we think iowas non fiction program is done accepting people? I only saw one acceptance. Melissa Febos is so amazing 😭 

I’m wondering too. I hadn’t seen any acceptances for it yet- where did you see this? Maybe we could ask that person for more info. 

I know they’re done for fiction. Assuming they are starting NF and it’ll be a slow trickle as well 

28 minutes ago, g kons said:

does brown typically call for acceptances?

Based on the results page, it seems like people usually just get an email telling them to check their status in the portal, even for acceptances. Someone mentioned being asked to schedule a phone call. So it sounds like, unlike many other programs, they don't call before the official acceptance has gone through online.

4 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

I’m wondering too. I hadn’t seen any acceptances for it yet- where did you see this? Maybe we could ask that person for more info. 

I know they’re done for fiction. Assuming they are starting NF and it’ll be a slow trickle as well 

you know? like, you know know, or you just know?

do we have confirmation? a hard done? a computer generated, rubber stamped, embossed and wax sealed "fuck off and leave us alone"?

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

do we have confirmation? a hard done? a computer generated, rubber stamped, embossed and wax sealed "fuck off and leave us alone"?

It’s not 100% I guess. But A current fiction student at IWW said on Facebook they are done notifying acceptances for fiction 

8 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

It’s not 100% I guess. But A current fiction student at IWW said on Facebook they are done notifying acceptances for fiction 

that's pretty close. 

20 hours ago, decayingballads21 said:

anyone get a rejection from Wyoming or know if they’re still notifying acceptances/waitlists?

I've also been waiting for a response. Looks like there's a few waitlists on Draft. So.... game over? I have a bad feeling my app is a soft rejection, but I keep checking my phone every thirty seconds...

51 minutes ago, Scribe said:

😂

9 minutes ago, applesintheoutback said:

I've also been waiting for a response. Looks like there's a few waitlists on Draft. So.... game over? I have a bad feeling my app is a soft rejection, but I keep checking my phone every thirty seconds...

I feel you. The waiting is rough. when Virginia sent out the unofficial rejection I was so appreciative. It takes so little to be considerate of our time to say nothing of our health. If we all get snail mail rejections form the iww over the next week, that's fine, i bet it. but these institutions that wait weeks after the decisions are made are simply disrespectful. 

Then there are those that say they're going to make an offer but don't...

3 minutes ago, maonvlang said:

long time lurker here. it's so nerve grinding at this moment. 

do you guys believe that someone can possibly flunk an interview? which I think I might have... most likely I did...

ooooohh. tell us everything. 

It's a good question for the Draft vets. The only way to know is if one has done it - been rejected after an interview. even then it would be hard to be certain. 

8 minutes ago, dietcokeenjoyer said:

hey all! if we haven’t had an interview for Brooklyn (fiction) should we assume that’s a no? seeing acceptances in the spreadsheet 😕 congrats to those who are in! 

There's always a waitlist :) If I'm not mistaken, didn't they say the class size was 30 for all concentrations? 

Also, I don't know if this counts for anything but I had a heart attack the other day when I checked the portal and it said my application was incomplete. I emailed them and they said not to worry and my application is with the department so we shall see!

6 minutes ago, CLCH said:

At what point is it okay to email schools like Brown and Iowa? Feels so arrogant and shitty to reach out but the wait is so brutal. 

Iowa rejections will probably be out within a week. If you haven't heard anything after that, then it'd make sense to contact. Afaik, Brown hasn't sent any notifications yet (accepted or otherwise), so I don't think emailing them would gain much beyond them potentially giving you a mid-to-late March timeframe.

54 minutes ago, Scribe said:

ooooohh. tell us everything. 

It's a good question for the Draft vets. The only way to know is if one has done it - been rejected after an interview. even then it would be hard to be certain. 

nah, I'm too depressed to tell... 

I feel happy for everyone who's been accepted to their programs... 

and @jadedoptimist every time you talk, I can literally hear your voice somehow, like that fluty voice of an anime girl... 

3 minutes ago, maonvlang said:

and @jadedoptimist every time you talk, I can literally hear your voice somehow, like that fluty voice of an anime girl... 

This made my afternoon, I've been laughing maniacally <333 but I have a cold so it's not fluting, it's more... crunchy hahahahah