MSW applications for Fall '24 (USA)

BeccaFL

I figured I'd start this thread and see if anyone has completed or in the process of applying for an MSW for the coming fall. I ended up applying to 7 schools, all online programs. The waiting is killing me and I am sure I won't hear anything until end of January - sometime in February or March. 

I've applied to:

UConn

University at Buffalo

UCF (central fl)

Ohio State University

Tulane

U of Kentucky

U of Montana (safety)

On 1/2/2024 at 1:26 PM, MSW24Hopeful said:

Thanks for making this! I’ve only applied to BU in-person/full-time.🤞Will update if I hear anything, but they’ve suggested mid-Feb for decisions. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to you, it's so hard waiting. I was accepted to Tulane yesterday, but I have 3 more schools I'd like to hear back from before I decide. It was pretty exciting. It was towards the bottom of my list due to the cost, but they awarded me a large academic scholarship, making it one of the most cost-effective choices. 

4 hours ago, BeccaFL said:

Good luck to you, it's so hard waiting. I was accepted to Tulane yesterday, but I have 3 more schools I'd like to hear back from before I decide. It was pretty exciting. It was towards the bottom of my list due to the cost, but they awarded me a large academic scholarship, making it one of the most cost-effective choices. 

Congrats on getting in and getting a strong scholarship :) That's amazing!

I wonk in higher ed currently and am looking to pivot to clinical social work, and the one thing about private schools is while they have a high sticker price, if you have a good applications they can be cheaper with aid. I talked to someone who is currently at BU Social Work and she said she applied to BU, BC and two MA state schools, Salem and Bridgewater. BU ended up being most affordable after aid. Good luck as you continue heading back!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 12:55 PM, MSW24Hopeful said:

Congrats on getting in and getting a strong scholarship :) That's amazing!

I wonk in higher ed currently and am looking to pivot to clinical social work, and the one thing about private schools is while they have a high sticker price, if you have a good applications they can be cheaper with aid. I talked to someone who is currently at BU Social Work and she said she applied to BU, BC and two MA state schools, Salem and Bridgewater. BU ended up being most affordable after aid. Good luck as you continue heading back!

Thank you. Did you hear back from BU yet?

I was also accepted to Ohio State, which had been my top choice originally. I cannot decide between the two schools. Tulane will be less money, but Ohio Is a bigger school and could offer more opportunities. I am so torn and feel like I will regret my decision either way. How do I know which is best for me without knowing how it will really be at either school?

14 minutes ago, BeccaFL said:

Thank you. Did you hear back from BU yet?

I was also accepted to Ohio State, which had been my top choice originally. I cannot decide between the two schools. Tulane will be less money, but Ohio Is a bigger school and could offer more opportunities. I am so torn and feel like I will regret my decision either way. How do I know which is best for me without knowing how it will really be at either school?

Ohh thats tough!  I don’t know if this is helpful, but i can share some things I talk to my Ugrads about when choosing grad programs if thats helpful:

1. If one school is bigger, it will have more opportunities, but also there are more students to compete with for them.

2. Are you interested in research or practice more? Take a look at what each offers to see what aligns with opportunities in what you want to do with your msw more.

3. Consider where you might want to be post-grad, and see which school has more alumna in that area or in those types of jobs. Also useful to see which location had a better local social work infrastructure e.i. More options for internships/networking 

4. Snoop on some LinkedIn profiles of some current students and maybe message them with questions! Sometimes the school admissions office can also connect you with current students. 

5. Think about campus climate and your own values. Will you be comfortable participating in the community/does the school align with your values on diff issues 

BU Nothing from BU yet, but they said mid Feb, so not worried, but also dying to hear back! 

On 1/19/2024 at 11:05 AM, MSW24Hopeful said:

Ohh thats tough!  I don’t know if this is helpful, but i can share some things I talk to my Ugrads about when choosing grad programs if thats helpful:

1. If one school is bigger, it will have more opportunities, but also there are more students to compete with for them.

2. Are you interested in research or practice more? Take a look at what each offers to see what aligns with opportunities in what you want to do with your msw more.

3. Consider where you might want to be post-grad, and see which school has more alumna in that area or in those types of jobs. Also useful to see which location had a better local social work infrastructure e.i. More options for internships/networking 

4. Snoop on some LinkedIn profiles of some current students and maybe message them with questions! Sometimes the school admissions office can also connect you with current students. 

5. Think about campus climate and your own values. Will you be comfortable participating in the community/does the school align with your values on diff issues 

BU Nothing from BU yet, but they said mid Feb, so not worried, but also dying to hear back! 

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. 

• 3 weeks later...

nope nothing from BU, but a friend of mine applied last year and got her acceptance on Feb 15th so I think it might still be a bit early for them. IDK about Simmons, but I know BU and BC usually release initial decisions around the same time! almost there!

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from BU yesterday and was accepted which was very exciting. I got a half tuition scholarship but don't really have any idea if that is good as it'll still be $20K a year. Waiting on BC so hopefully will get more aid there.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2024 at 6:53 PM, Pizzapunx said:

Hello! Approximately how long did it take to hear from Ohio State and Buffalo after you applied? Thanks!

Hey there. I honestly can't remember. Ohio State was quicker than UBuffalo, which took months. I think OSU was about 8 weeks or so. Good luck!

Hello friends! I was accepted into University at Buffalo with a partial scholarship! Still waiting to hear from Ohio State and WLU in Canada. Does anyone know if there is any harm or consequences of accepting the Buffalo offer of admission while waiting to hear back from the other schools' decisions? For example, if I end up choosing another future offer?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 1:41 PM, Pizzapunx said:

Hello friends! I was accepted into University at Buffalo with a partial scholarship! Still waiting to hear from Ohio State and WLU in Canada. Does anyone know if there is any harm or consequences of accepting the Buffalo offer of admission while waiting to hear back from the other schools' decisions? For example, if I end up choosing another future offer?

Congratulations on Buffalo! I think it's okay to accept, although you have probably already decided by now. I read it was frowned upon to do that, but then I heard many others say as long as you decide before the start date is close, it will just open a spot up for someone who was waitlisted. I kind of wish I had done that now myself.