Admission interviews

mole224

Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me when and how PhD interviews are conducted in sociology? This is my first cycle of applications and I have no idea what to expect after submissions. It seems that many PhD applicants need to do interviews in other fields, so I wonder is that also the case in sociology? 

Historically, schools like UChicago, Rutgers, Yale, JHU, CUNY run interviews. Requests are sent out around mid-January or late January. UCI last year had interviews too. You can look up interview information on Result page. There are a bunch of postings about getting interviews. 😊

20 hours ago, ahwithsoc said:

Historically, schools like UChicago, Rutgers, Yale, JHU, CUNY run interviews. Requests are sent out around mid-January or late January. UCI last year had interviews too. You can look up interview information on Result page. There are a bunch of postings about getting interviews. 😊

Thank you so much for this information, ahwithsoc! 🥰

Thanks for the info! Does anyone know if Princeton does interviews? I've looked on their website, through gradcafe posts, and reddit posts and can't find anything about them. I assume they don't but don't know for sure -- seems like it'd be one of the only programs that doesn't do interviews, which makes me think I'm just missing info!

Edited by MonaLisaV
clarification

On 1/15/2024 at 4:03 AM, BeeNot said:

Hiya! Wondering if there are any CUNY Phd applicants who have received emails from both a faculty member and a current phd student for interviews (total of 2). 

I haven't. but I saw an international student shared her invitation letters on social media

I received one email from the graduate center to schedule an "informal meeting". The email also says there would be a current PhD student reaching out to me, but I haven't received anything. I think CUNY is sending out invitations gradually, as the first time I saw their invitation was about a week ago, and I got it yesterday. There should be more to follow.

Hi everybody 

I saw a result post about Indiana Bloomington, if I haven't received any interview email I could assume that I'm rejected?

3 hours ago, Marypmn said:

Hi everybody 

I saw a result post about Indiana Bloomington, if I haven't received any interview email I could assume that I'm rejected?

im wondering the same about uchicago. although its weird they're known to send out rejections AFTER interviews 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 4:22 PM, mole224 said:

Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me when and how PhD interviews are conducted in sociology? This is my first cycle of applications and I have no idea what to expect after submissions. It seems that many PhD applicants need to do interviews in other fields, so I wonder is that also the case in sociology? 

Would love to know this as well/any experiences anyone may have had! I am quite nervous 🫠