Is there anyone familiar with art and tech or design and tech?

I originally majored in sculpture and have been involved in fine arts for a long time, but I've been thinking about moving into more practical areas and considering art combined with technology. I've applied to various art and technology programs and have been accepted to CalArts (Art and Technology) and SAIC (Art and Technology/Sound Practice), and I'm waiting for results from Pratt (Digital Media) and Parsons (Design and Technology). I've also been waitlisted for RISD (Sculpture).

Between CalArts and SAIC, I'm leaning towards SAIC because they offered me more scholarship money. However, if I get into Parsons or Pratt, which should I choose? I'd like to know about the atmosphere, career paths, and their reputations.

Also, is it possible to find out if anyone has been taken off the waitlist for RISD's Sculpture program?

Not sure what you mean by “more practical”, but if you are trying to leave fine art and find opportunities in the industry / get a more stable job, I wouldn't recommend going to saic, calarts, or pratt (I don't think there is a program called digital media at pratt, so I'm assuming you are referring to interactive art under the digital art department). all three programs are very fine art-focused and tbh the technical skills you learn from them will most likely not able to get you a job in the industry. Art and tech still falls under fine art so you will very likely be at a similar position as you are right now after graduation (still practicing in the fine art field but maybe working with different mediums) this is evident if you look at their thesis shows and alum profiles. 

Parsons DT, on the other hand, is very different. It definitely offers more technical training and is more design-focused (design naturally is more career-friendly than fine art…) so if you are looking to shift your career from fine art to perhap design or tech (working for corporations, agencies, doing entrepreneurship, etc) Parsons is a solid choice and offers great resources. You also get to work with people from more diverse backgrounds while you are there. Idk how much saic and calarts are offering, but I think parsons is pretty generous this year so it's worth waiting. 

All four programs have pretty good reputation. Personally I think pratt is a little weaker because it is not considered one of the stronger programs the school offers. Calarts and saic are very similar reputation-wise but their styles are very different. I would recommend looking at their faculty/student/alum works before making your decision. I can definitely see someone who would thrive at calarts being miserable at saic, and vise versa.

Edited by mfaapplicant