Choosing phd program : ISU vs U Florida vs MSU

Hello,

I am a student who applied for admission this cycle. Fortunately, I have received admission offers from several schools, and I am writing to seek advice as I am having trouble deciding.

Initially, I was inclined towards MSU, considering my strong interest in the field of probability and applied probability. However, recently, I have hesitated in my decision as I feel that pure probability-related research is regarded as rather archaic in modern statistics. Additionally, although I tried not to focus on it too much, I have considered that pursuing my ultimate goal of staying in academia might be more advantageous by attending one of the two higher-ranked schools.

Concerning this,

1. I would appreciate your opinion on whether MSU is indeed strong in the field of probability, and pursuing pure probability research there would be beneficial for future academic career.

2. I would also appreciate your thoughts on whether attending one of the higher-ranked schools would make a difference if my ultimate goal is academic positions.

Once again, thank you for considering my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MSU is indeed strong in the field of probability, and I also get hesitated between it and ISU. Also, how do you think about Purdue statistics department? I rank it higher for me because their stronger support for students to industry.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Agatha STAT said:

MSU is indeed strong in the field of probability, and I also get hesitated between it and ISU. Also, how do you think about Purdue statistics department? I rank it higher for me because their stronger support for students to industry.

Honestly, I didn't know much about Purdue. However, I have seen many alumni in my undergrad institution going to Purdue. Also, I think they are underestimated in terms of their ranking. So, If I were you, I would select Purdue.
Also, may I ask then why you are hesitating between MSU and ISU? I think, overall, ISU is better than MSU. Are you also interested in probability stuff?

Edited by StatJunior

Think about it this way: if you want to study probability because it's only really a research area at MSU, then who will hire you afterwards besides MSU?  Most departments have no interest in hiring people who are not doing statistics research.

Overall, I think Florida is the best department by a pretty wide margin.  I don't think there's a huge difference between ISU and MSU, but they both have a few good professors who have students that get faculty jobs.