So You Want to be a Historian?

EricaMarie

• 2 weeks later...

The English one is funny just because I use English majors to make myself feel better about the constant jabbing from my friends at an engineering/ag school (though I minored in English). I think it's about like how people here in Alabama say "Thank God for Mississippi"...

I like the one for English too. I think it's funnier because the stereotype is so much more widespread about the English student who wants to go to grad school, probably because there are just so damned many more English majors out there. I double majored in English and history, so I've met the "I'm so brilliant" English student many times over. I considered a grad degree in English a couple times as a possible fallback to history, but, I imagine it has to be twice as hard to get as history. The funding problems are the same, but there are probably twice as many applicants from the horde of morons who want graduate degrees.

This professor is waaayyy meaner than the one in "So you want a PhD in Humanities?" Although I must admit that I heard some echos of starving while doing archival research and how archival research in a foreign country can make one go crazy from a recent PhD in Latin American history in my history seminar. Whatever he said was quite enough to make half of the people forget about being history majors.

Admittedly, I really didn't know exactly what reading for history really meant until I went into my MA program and it took me... a while to understand what graduate seminars were all about. Ugh. <_< Nowadays, sometimes I don't even know how to describe what is it that I do and why it's important. :rolleyes:

This professor is waaayyy meaner than the one in "So you want a PhD in Humanities?" Although I must admit that I heard some echos of starving while doing archival research and how archival research in a foreign country can make one go crazy from a recent PhD in Latin American history in my history seminar. Whatever he said was quite enough to make half of the people forget about being history majors.

Admittedly, I really didn't know exactly what reading for history really meant until I went into my MA program and it took me... a while to understand what graduate seminars were all about. Ugh. <_< Nowadays, sometimes I don't even know how to describe what is it that I do and why it's important. :rolleyes:

Something for me to look forward to. :(