Strange Status Change...

ViridianMambo

This might be something, but it might be nothing at all. Hence the crazytalk. You know on ApplyYourself when you check your application status, it says something like "SUBMITTED" and that's it (for now), right? Well, this peanut showed up today:

Submission Status: SUBMITTED

Submitted Date: 12/3/2010 11:00:00AM EST

Graduate School Final Review

OMG WHAT DOES GRADUATE SCHOOL FINAL REVIEW MEAN!?!?!?!

I have heard nothing from the department yet. Does this mean that the department sent my application on to the Graduate School for final review BEFORE ACCEPTING ME (GOD I HOPE SO)??!?!? Also, no messages in the message center.

Anyone else see this before? This is UMN Twin Cities' MA/PhD Program in Theatre Historiography, just FYI...

Eurrrghhhhh!

x

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's likely to mean that a decision has been made and your application is going to committee to be confirmed (as either an acceptance or rejection). Usually these committees just make sure the balance between various subfields, genders, regions, backgrounds, et cetera is what they want it to be or they allocate funding.

It still could be a while before you get the decision, as committees only meet every so often (if I had to guess, once a week during this time of year).

Or you could get it today. Who knows. I'm just guessing based on what I've heard.

Thanks, MoJingly! It's my life motto of sorts, because I do tend to freak out far too often. The blue image is more my style! Hilarious!

Yeah, it seems like they're maybe reviewing my qualifications at the Grad School level, but I hope it means that the committee is sending me on for approval, then admission! But who the heck knows - - - I just want to hear something soon, because I gotta start planning a cross-country move! Yikes!

If anyone else has heard anything weird, post it! I love hearing what other schools do to their poor applicants :D

I really have not idea! I wish grad schools would stop talking in code.

This has nothing to do with your post, but I love your avatar. Very appropriate.

Womp womp! Denied! Oh well - - - at least I knew that something was up. One down, seven more to go....

That sucks! :( Rejections are no fun! Keep your courage up though... plenty more to go! It is a really strange process they went through, what with that bizarre status update in the middle of it all... I'm afraid to check my application status now!

Speaking of weird, UF's app status page had info about my stuff being received, outstanding, etc. Over the weekend it all disappeared, with the message stating that their process is "decentralized" and to contact the dept. directly, not even anything like "under review", "rejected", "accepted", or the like. Just POOF, gone. I'm expecting the reject email/letter any day now, because last year someone on the results page had the same thing happen and admissions told them if the info disappeared it's a rejection. It's not a total shock, but is so embarrasingly early for a result that I'm not sure I want to bother calling for a little while. The dept. wasn't supposed to start notifying until March, but if they had some sort of (undisclosed) internal cutoff criteria that I didn't make, I probably got round-filed without any type of review by the adcom itself. Probably the first one cut, knowing my luck. It sucks, because I had been in contact with my POI and he knew of the weaker parts of my application but reassured me that I'd be looked at anyway based on my CV, SOP, and WS. After I get confirmation, I think I'm going to let admissions know that their status page sucks and they should have something there instead of nothing at all, because that'd save everybody some time/phone calls/emails. Boo.