Anyone heard from UMass, Amherst CS?

pandy

Has anyone heard any news from UMass, Amherst for CS PhD? I applied in December, and the department has not sent me a single update yet. All I got was "Thank you for submitting the application, you will receive a mail with link to check the application status" email when I paid the fee. I tried emailing, but got no response. Anyone else in the same boat?

hey, same thing happened to me too. I sent 2-3 emails to gradadm@grad.umass.edu before I got a reply from them. They should have sent you an email containing your admission id and admission access code to check your application online at https://webapp.spire.umass.edu/admissions/htdocs/applicant/gradapp_logon.html. I got a reply from Patrick Sullivan in the end, he sent me an email from gdadmack@grad.umass.edu so you can either directly email to that address or you can send another email to gradadm. Eventually they will send a reply :) dont worry.

I got the same email satirtat got, about 4 days after I had applied in December - so I imagine that you should have received it as well. The status check site that the email pointed to shows whether they've received and processed your documents and they processed them fairly quickly for me. I'm guessing your email might have gone to junk - perhaps you can call the department at 413.545.2744 or the grad school at (413) 545-0722. I had to call both places when I was wondering if they had received on of my LoRs - both places were friendly and helpful.

Has anyone heard any news from UMass, Amherst for CS PhD? I applied in December, and the department has not sent me a single update yet. All I got was "Thank you for submitting the application, you will receive a mail with link to check the application status" email when I paid the fee. I tried emailing, but got no response. Anyone else in the same boat?

same here. should we mail?

• 2 weeks later...

my friend just got accepted! and somebody in the results thread. I am incredibly nervous now .. this news has stopped me from taking my nap! :/

Nice. I was expecting to see UMass results today since they started sending them out on this day last year. There were also acceptances reported each day for the rest of this week last year, and a couple later on in February, so we might be anxious for a while yet. I'm in machine learning and I applied to 3 of the same schools as you - UMass, GaTech and Rutgers.

Edited by newms

Nice. I was expecting to see UMass results today since they started sending them out on this day last year. There were also acceptances reported each day for the rest of this week last year, and a couple later on in February, so we might be anxious for a while yet. I'm in machine learning and I applied to 3 of the same schools as you - UMass, GaTech and Rutgers.

got my acceptance e-mail today with invitation for graduate weekend. I am in computer architecture and programming language. This is the first school I have heard from. Relieved a little bit. I know what it is like to be waiting. Best of Luck to everyone. Hope all of us will hear from some univ we want to go.

got my acceptance e-mail today with invitation for graduate weekend. I am in computer architecture and programming language. This is the first school I have heard from. Relieved a little bit. I know what it is like to be waiting. Best of Luck to everyone. Hope all of us will hear from some univ we want to go.

Congratulations! Did you get an interview before or was it just an email out of the blue?

Ah, true! For some reason when I looked up UMass in the results thread before, I didn't see any acceptances this early for last year!

And cool! I haven't seen too many people who also applied to Rutgers :). I'm interested in machine learning too (though I just have AI listed in my signature)..Good luck!

Ah, true! For some reason when I looked up UMass in the results thread before, I didn't see any acceptances this early for last year! And cool! I haven't seen too many people who also applied to Rutgers :). I'm interested in machine learning too (though I just have AI listed in my signature)..Good luck!

Thanks and good luck to you too! I'm not expecting to hear anything from Rutgers until March - they have their admissions meeting on Feb 28.

Edited by newms

• 2 weeks later...

Re: UMass CS....

Things were incredibly tough this year, we got 20% more apps than last year and the quality of students applying was up quite a lot. All of our initial admits are done at this point. We will wait list a few students, but the response for our visiting Friday was really great so I can't say how likely the wait list is going to be. We are getting the rest of the notifications sent out as quickly as we can.

As for reading into admit dates from previous years, that is like reading tea-leaves :) The chair changes every year and does things a bit differently every time.

I appreciate all the stress that goes into applying to various programs, I went through all of the same stressful moments myself not long ago.

Let me know if you think there are things we did well or poorly---we are always looking to improve. Some things are unfortunately in the hands of the graduate school and out of the control of the department.

Also, it may not help you now, but this is how I look at applications:

http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/mcorner/cs-admissions

I hope that you all find great homes in CS grad school!

-Mark Corner

Re: UMass CS....

Things were incredibly tough this year, we got 20% more apps than last year and the quality of students applying was up quite a lot. All of our initial admits are done at this point. We will wait list a few students, but the response for our visiting Friday was really great so I can't say how likely the wait list is going to be. We are getting the rest of the notifications sent out as quickly as we can.

As for reading into admit dates from previous years, that is like reading tea-leaves :) The chair changes every year and does things a bit differently every time.

I appreciate all the stress that goes into applying to various programs, I went through all of the same stressful moments myself not long ago.

Let me know if you think there are things we did well or poorly---we are always looking to improve. Some things are unfortunately in the hands of the graduate school and out of the control of the department.

Also, it may not help you now, but this is how I look at applications:

http://prisms.cs.uma...r/cs-admissions

I hope that you all find great homes in CS grad school!

-Mark Corner

Thanks a lot for letting us know and for the useful information on your page - it has been linked to on this forum by applicants beforesmile.gif. One possible improvement I would suggest is to let the applicants know faster when they have not been successful, or possibly if they are on a waitlist - but I guess that may be in the hands of the graduate school as you say. Thanks again.

@mcorner<br /><br />

Thanks for your time professor. It helps the people who have been rejected by UMass to make up their minds to go to a lesser ranked university or in my case a university with not as strong a profile as UMass in AI.

Edited by nobody2008

What do you mean? Do you mean you got the rejection or you mean anyone who didn't receive anything like me will get a rejection?

I am on the same boat as you are, got nothing, neither rejection nor admit. yes, mass reject letter will be coming soon. So, better to be get ready.