Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Post which programs/schools you're applying to/applied to! Then come back and let us know if you got an invitation to interview, rejection, acceptance, etc.!

Edited by babygoldenbear
topic title change
  • babygoldenbear changed the title to 2026-2027 Biomedical Science/Biomedical Engineering PhD Applicants and Admissions Results
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Thought I'd kick this one off. Haven't gotten any interview invites yet but optimistic bc none of my programs sent out invites until later in december.

Student Type: Domestic

Undergrad : Flagship state university

Major: Biochemistry

GPA: 3.75

Test scores: Did not take GRE

Research: 3 years of undergraduate research in the same lab (biophysics). 2 REUs, half a year of postgrad research. No papers published but have a handful of posters and presentations under my belt.

Other Experience: Was involved in a couple clubs as an undergrad but nothing too special.

Letters of Recommendation:  Three research advisors. My undergrad advisor (biophysics), a professor who I did a summer research internship with (bioinformatics), and my current PI (bioinformatics/genetics). 

Schools I am applying to: MIT (Computational and Systems Biology), Harvard (Biology and Biomedical Sciences), Columbia (Biomedical Life Sciences), University of Washington (Genome Sciences), University of Southern California (geroscience), University of Michigan (Human Genetics), UCSD (Biology, this was a low effort application because I didn't realize how much work it would take lol), Brown University ( Molecular and Cellular Biology), and UToronto (Molecular Genetics)

My biggest weaknesses are def my GPA and lack of publications, but I'm shooting my shot and seeing what happens. GOod luck to everyone applying!

Posted

Adding mine!

Student Type: Domestic

Undergrad : R1 State Uni

Major: Biology, Math and Stat minor

GPA: 3.4 

Test scores: N/a

Research: 2 years in high school/first-year undergrad for tissue engineering lab (1 third-author publication from this), 2 years in behavioral neuro lab, 1 REU at UPenn summer 2024 in Deep Learning/Bioinformatics (made a hard pivot to computational), continued working with Penn lab remotely, and am now being paid. 5-ish years total 

Other Experience: Club Volleyball President

Letters of Recommendation:  PI from neuro lab, PI from Ivy lab, Director of Grad Admissions/Professor in Bio department who was a close mentor

Schools I am applying to:

  • Princeton QCB (did their preview weekend and met the director of admissions)
  • Tri-I (Weill Cornell, MSK, Rockefeller) Comp Bio
  • UPenn GCB (current PI here + REU connection)
  • NYU Vilcek SOM
  • Cold Spring Harbor Lab 
  • Harvard AIM/DBMI
  • UC Berkeley Comp Bio
  • Yale Comp Bio
  • Boston University 

Trying to leverage my connections to have some success here because the rest of the profile is unfortunately not as competitive as I would like. Good luck to everyone!

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use