Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi! I'm a current domestic MS student at UTD looking to apply to PhD programs in statistics. I have a pretty scattered and weak profile so I'm very uncertain of my application list and am seeking feedback.

Undergrad Major: BA in Visual Effects
GPA: 2.9 (special circumstance)

Graduate: MS in Data Science & Statistics
GPA: 3.5 (mostly this low due to one course - wondering if it's worth retaking it. I learned the content well, but the course structure was incredibly messy, and I tested very poorly for it)
 

Since I had a low undergrad GPA and I was in an unrelated field, I was really surprised I got in for my MS program. I think what carried me was the fact that I had well driven personal projects that showed both interest and self-sufficient learning skills. However, I don't think those projects aren't technical enough or academically focused enough to really matter for PhD applications. Since I'm new to the field, I've also been struggling to find research. I've started one independent research project but because it was alongside school, I only got as far as finding an objective and gathering previous research to learn about. 

Application Criteria: I want a school in a diverse city somewhere that's not HOT all year. I'm applying to UTD again but just for personal growth, I want to avoid staying here. Given that UTD is pretty solidly ranked and also going through a burst of growth, I'd like to get in somewhere good enough that it's a step up and warranting going elsewhere. I'm also open to going somewhere international, especially if Language won't be barrier.


Current Application List: CMU, UCBerkeley, UToronto, UChicago, UW, and of course, UTD. 

Would appreciate any recommendations for schools to look into, as well as feedback on my current profile, aspirations, or just in general.

 

Posted (edited)

You’re free to apply anywhere you want. However, with a good but not great gpa and no substantial research experience every school on your list but UTD is a pretty big reach. Do you have a broad area of research you’re interested in? The research interests of all those schools are quite different with some (UChicago especially) known for being quite theoretical.

Edited by Bayesway4life

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use