I'm going to ______________ and this is why!

Berlin

I thought it would be helpful for those of us (i.e. almost all of us) still wrestling with the pros and cons of our various options to have a thread where once a decision is made, people can explain why. So, when a decision is reached, fill out:

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND:

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED:

WHY I CHOSE MY NEW SCHOOL:

good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Berkeley GSPP, MPP (no funding)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: UT Austin (full funding), GPPI (just a lil' funding), GW (no funding), Columbia (no funding), UCLA (no funding)

1. I am a CA resident.

2. I visited on admit day and was overwhelmingly impressed with the students, teachers, and the curriculum. The school itself is highly regarded even at Berkeley-- there are specific spots reserved for GSPP students in the law and econ classes, etc.

3. The location of the school is in the Bay area -- its a great place to live.

4. Although I have not received any funding, I'm fairly confident I will get tuition remission and pay only 2k/semester. Work opportunities abound at the school. If you are willing to put in the effort to find work, you will find it.

5. The opportunities to network through the program are amazing. I'm sure I'll have a job by the time I graduate with minimal debt.

6. Also, continuing on to a phd would not be difficult.

7. I'm allowed to call the faculty by their first name.

8. I receive a key to the GSPP building which is a cozy little place.

9. Of all the people I met, there were only 1 or 2 that I didn't immediately get along with.

10. Its a collaborative atmosphere.

11. Its berkeley. The name recognition alone is fantastic.

12. Its the smallest MPP program I could find.

If you are on the fence and want me to convince you to come to Berkeley, PM me. I will caveat that I did not get into HKS/WWS so I don't know how to compare them with GSPP, but I'm kind of glad I didn't have to make that decision. It works out great for me. I hope you find your school, too!

okay, I've finally decided!

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Georgetown!

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: Michigan, Berkeley, Brown, Texas

All 5 schools had something interesting to offer. Texas I really liked the student vibe on campus, but I was put off by limited national/international opportunities after visiting. Brown I was super impressed with, but decided the program size (15-20 per year) was a bit too small. Michigan was my 2nd choice, but ultimately the weather and ann arbor got to me. I really respect the university and the program, but quality of life wise, I am going to be happier in DC. Berkeley was too domestic-focused for me, and I found the students to be somewhat full of themselves. Obviously not everyone, but I just got the sense I didn't fit in well there.

Georgetown meanwhile did everything right. They admitted me very quickly. I was really impressed with their admitted students day, I LOVE the international opportunities, and I like their approach to quantitative studies (i.e. you have to do a lot of it, but we don't expect you to know it all coming in).

Good luck to everyone else!

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: University of Texas LBJ school

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: I considered most of the big names but only applied to LBJ, partly for fit and partly because I could only afford in-state tuition.

WHY I CHOSE MY NEW SCHOOL: Many reasons to list. Tops on the list are that the program seems to be extremely student-centered and the faculty/staff seem to genuinely care.

Anyone else going to LBJ, feel free to PM me. It would be cool to get in touch with others about to start.

Ok yay, I've decided finally. Talk about 11th hour.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: University of Chicago, Harris School of Public Policy

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: Georgetown Public Policy Institute; University of California - Berkeley, Goldman School of Public Policy

Berkeley was a no-go because it was too far away and more expensive than the other options (no funding). I was quite torn about Georgetown after visiting, because I liked it a lot, they offered me more money, I thought I might enjoy a new experience in DC, etc. But in the end, these advantages of Chicago won out:

1) Location -- I live in Chicago now, love it here, and want to stay in Chicago after graduation. Although a change of scenery would have been pleasant, too, my boyfriend is at Northwestern and I have many friends in the city. Also, cost of living is low in comparison to the other options.

2) Private sector opportunities -- Chicago seems to have more on-campus recruiting, MBA-style. More firms visit Chicago than Georgetown. Some of them listed the Harris School in their MBA sections. I want to go into the private sector after graduation, doing public sector consulting, so this is important for me.

3) Academic approach and research-oriented professors -- for some people this might be a downside, but I would really like to keep open the option of a PhD in the future. (I was considering applying to PhD programs this time around but realized it was a long shot.)

4) Strong school over all -- Chicago's poli sci, econ, law and business schools are top notch, and there are opportunities for taking electives there, plus joint degree possibilities (not seriously considering a joint degree, but who knows). Also, UC alums are very loyal to the school = great networking!

5) Internship opps -- I was worried that in Chicago there might not be as many internship opportunities as in DC. This is probably true, but the ratio of internship seekers to internships is probably similar. There are a lot of opportunities for work on affordable housing, immigration, and environment-related work too, as Chicago continues to position itself as a green city, like the Chicago Climate Exchange, the Environmental Law and Policy Center, etc.

There were also some complications with me about Georgetown that made things a little harder. But after pondering all weekend I decided even without the complications I would still pick Chicago.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND:

Harvard (HKS)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED:

Princeton

-Breadth of courses to choose from

-Cross-registration with other professional schools

-Cambridge is an exciting place to be

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: University of Michigan Ford School

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: University of Texas-Austin LBJ School

1) I'm married. Things like quality of life and stretch of the dollar are important factors on where we thought we could make it. Love the bay area (Berkeley), but housing prices are enormous. DC is great for a career, but again, a newly employed GS-12 with student loans will be scraping by for a while. Ann Arbor can keep us comfortable while at the same time allowing us to own a home. We love the southwest, especially Austin, but we're willing to give MI a shot.

2) Bottom line: money, money, money. UMich offered me $25k per year. UT zero. UT was where I wanted to go--bummer. I'm out of state either way, too.

HOWEVER,

3) I was really impressed with the Ford school's admissions process. By the second week of March I had the acceptance, fellowship offer, and financial aid package. They kept in touch with their students often. This communication included things about the school, town, and curriculum. It was welcoming, but more importantly I felt as if I was already in the loop. As soon as I was admitted a current student had contacted me. It wasn't until the first week of April that a student from the LBJ school had called me.

While I was not able to attend the spring preview, the panels were recorded and published on the website for people to listen to. A+ effort there.

4) I really like their focus on quantitative analysis. This is a semi-professional degree, and I want some solid skills coming out of it.

5) Not being interested in working in DC the next 5-10 years means location does not play as big a factor for me. Also, I will more than likely seek out an international internship which makes location even less of a factor.

6) Options for pursuing other academics in departments that are highly regarded. Also, graduate students can take undergraduate language courses for free.

• 2 weeks later...

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Georgetown (GPPI:MPP)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: GWU, MPP; Vanderbilt, MPP

1) I'm settling in the DC area to establish my career.

2) First choice. Always has been for as long as I can remember.

2) Quantitative focus. I have an undergraduate degree in Economics and Mathematics and have been going quantitative policy research for 2 years and counting now. GWU has a good qualititative focus, which is important to me for policymaking, so I still intend to take a few courses there.

3) Law School. I'm going for the dual degree program, and Georgetown Law has a premier law program. Being accepted into the MPP and doing well will really help my case when I reapply for GULC this fall.

4)I was accepted off the wait list! Does anyone know how difficult it is to get accepted off a waitlist? Any waitlist? Especially Georgetown's? When I applied there undergrad, they sent me a letter telling me they didn't even look at their waitlist that year. Such fortune at GT is just hard to come by. Period. But as I said, I wrote an addendum, as per their request for additional info deemed relevant, and I spilled all. I told them I was certain about attending, why I've chosen Georgetown, and my career aspirations. I think my enthusiasm was key. And what's so interesting about that is, I've never been more enthusiastic about anything else in my life but that school. And now I get the chance to live the dream.

• 11 months later...

Well, Decision Day/Tax Day/Tea Party Day (?) is upon us, so I thought I'd revive this thread and let everyone justify their choices.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Georgetown Public Policy Institute (MPP)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: USC, UCLA, NYU

-Quantitative Focus. Of the schools that made it into final consideration, GPPI stressed their quantitative focus the most, and I think the 3 semesters of quant and 2 semesters of econ will give me a solid skill set.

-Thesis Requirement. I was drawn to the individual thesis requirement over the group capstone projects required at the other schools. I think it will give me a leg up, especially if I decide to go on for a PhD or a more research-oriented organization.

-DC Location. There are so many opportunities to work internships during the year, see great guest speakers and network with policy professionals. Also, I am interested in federal issues and would like to work in DC after graduation, at least for a few years. Georgetown is definitely the best choice to make that happen.

-Career Services. I was underwhelmed by USC's and UCLA's career services, and impressed by GPPI's. The career services person seemed energetic and enthusiastic, and the list of places the 2008 class interned and got jobs was more impressive than at other schools.

-MPP Focus. I like that GPPI is focused on the MPP degree. The MPP don't get drowned out my MPAs or urban planners.

-Facilities. Definitely a horrible way to pick a school, but it didn't hurt that the Car Barn is an amazing building with breathtaking views of the Potomac from the classrooms.

I think those are the main reasons. I'm curious to hear how other people came to their decision.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Syracuse University Maxwell dual MPA/MA Economics

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: DUKE, CHICAGO, U MICHIGAN, GEORGETOWN GPPI

- Outstanding reputation as a first-rate public service program.

- Economics MA: the technical background I was looking for through the Econ program.

- Two 12-month programs, assumed concurrently. Same timeline as the traditional MPP programs I sought...

- Stellar alumni network, affordable cost of living, and SNOW! (totally kidding on the last one.)

- Public finance/budgeting are both strong suits for the MPA and Econ programs. Being able to study both sides of the public finance equations.

- Strong record at PMF placements

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: USC SPPD, MPP program

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: UCLA, Harris, GWU, American

1. UCLA, GW and American were no go's from the start. They didn't offer any money. USC and Chicago were offering full-rides.

2. I attended both USC's and Chicago's admitted students days. I was equally impressed by how both sold their programs. However, Chicago's seemed more focused on quantitative policy analysis and theory. The internship opportunities were far less available than USC. Also, despite the huge focus on quant work, it seemed the incoming students at both schools had the same background in stat and calc. If Chicago was really so superior, I'd expect not to find a roomful of confused faces when a professor mentioned "p-values."

3. USC had a deep focus in practical experience and internships. I think this would be invaluable in developing a network. One student said she did 5 internships during her first year, (summer included), though typically one can expect at least 3.

4. USC also had several research organizations that students take part in. Specifically, I was interested in the Bedrosian Center, the Unruh Center and the Tomas Rivera Policy Institute. All three are lead by really prominent folks and are a big deal in California, which leads me to point 5....

5. I've lived in California for the last 10 years. I've worked in Sacramento for the last four. I already have a bit of a network here in California. I think adding the USC credential could really benefit that. Plus, I don't really care about going to DC. Ideally, I'd like to stay in California, or at least on the West Coast.

6. Finally, (and most superficially), lots of Harris students end up working in Chicago. I'd never been before visiting them a few weeks ago. I still can't understand how a place could be so cold in April. Global warming must be a myth, because it wasn't showing up in Chicago. At USC, an equivalent amount of students end up in LA city government. Between the two places, LA is a no-brainer.

Anyhow, that's my .02.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Harvard Kennedy School of Government (MPP)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: Duke, GPPI, SAIS

A couple reasons, some are pros for HKS, others cons for GPPI and SAIS

1. The students! The accepted students I met at the DC and Cambridge receptions were amazing people. Everyone had done something unique and impressive and I learned so much from just chatting with my peers. These are the people I want to grab lunch with.

2. The institution. The Kennedy School is a big place with lots of opportunities. I went to a small high school and a medium sized undergrad uni. I want a connected, powerful, well-endowed institution for my graduate studies.

3. The reputation. There's a lot of complaining on thegradcafe about HKS and the Harvard brand and yadayadayada. Whether you like it or not, Harvard is a great brand name. I am inclined to believe that it has deserved this distinction. Its students are well educated, smart, and capable. The Harvard name opens doors. Sure you can make it without HKS on the resume, but I'm going for everything I can get!

4. I hated the GPPI admissions and scholarship team. They were awfully unresponsive and didn't convey any respect for their applicants.

5. I didn't want the "opportunity" to intern during the year while at GPPI. To me, this is an indicator that the program is not rigorous enough. The MPP is a two-year degree with a nice summer internship block inbetween. I want to be working hard while in school. Heck, I'm paying for an education, right?

6. Taking a breather from DC can be a good thing. Initially, I was convinced that DC would be the best place to study public policy. After thinking about it for a little while, I changed my mind. I've worked in DC for the last two years and plan to work there for a decade after my MPP. I think I will be more effective at navigating the DC policy mind field after taking a couple years off and getting some perspective.

7. I want to do the presidential management fellows program. Harvard sends all of its applicants directly to the test taking stage, not prelim evaluation at the school. This is one step down.

8. SAIS is great. I like the program a lot EXCEPT for the Econ and language req. I don't really feel like repeating (if I can't pass out) my undergraduate econ education. I don't question the importance of a language requirement but for me this would be one additional course every semester that I could have devoted to electives.

9. I think SAIS is a terrific IR program but I'm not sure I want an IR program. Instead, I want an MPP program that has bits of IR. The MPP at HKS combined with the international and global affairs (IGA) concentration is just this. Further, HKS is invested in having successful IGA graduates because it wants to promote the program. To me, this means that they will work hard to make sure I am successful. Not a bad little agreement, eh?

10. The money thing: Look, I got $$ from all the schools I declined and not HKS. This doesn't matter to me. It would be nice to have some extra $$ and not go 120,000 in debt but I am unwilling to sacrifice a top education because of money issues. That is not how I will begin my life and it is not how I will end it. Money is money, but my education's value is priceless. The people I meet at HKS, the experiences I have, and the education I receive at invaluable to me.

Where I'm going: HKS

Other schools I considered: NYU, GSPP

Why I'm going: It's a big gamble, but it felt right when I was there. The students were just so interesting, the faculty drool-worthy, the program in what I want to do, unmatched. By no means an easy decision due to the funding, but a risk I think is worth to take.

Syracuse Maxwell MPA

1) Organizations and agencies I would like to work for actively recruit grads - often on campus. That's really the only reason why the reputation and rankings matter at all - not to impress anonymous people on the internet (don't worry - I still love you guys). At the end of the day I can see a clear path from Maxwell to my professional goals. That's huge.

2) The alumni network is ludicrous. Some of the "Maxwell Mafia" stuff is tongue-in-cheek, but they really are seemingly everywhere and all very loyal to the school.

3) Of course my interests fit in nicely (like everywhere I applied), but I was also struck by the great practical/theoretical balance and the range of quality at Maxwell. They're really nothing they do poorly and most programs of study are world-class. I don't feel worried that I might be left stranded if my area of interests drift unexpectedly one way or the other. The faculty I have met have been nothing short of impressive.

4) It's a one-year program, so the costs of attendance are lower (not to mention opportunity costs for the second year had I selected a two year program).

Where I'm going:

GWU-MA,Security Policy Studies

Where I considered:

SAIS-MA, International Relations

Australian National University- MA, Strategic Affairs

Why I'm going:

1-Wanted to head to DC to start my career. I had also applied to SIPA and MIT and while I was dinged by both I think I would have picked DC over them any way. The real choice was between Elliott and SAIS.

2-GWU offered me a good bit of money. SAIS is more expensive to begin with and I would be paying full sticker.

3-I've never felt my language skills we're particularly strong(I'm living in Shanghai and spend my days butchering Mandarin) and I had heard some intimidating things about the language requirement at SAIS. SPS students at GW can get away with quant coursework(which I had planned on doing anyway) and avoid having to pass a language test. This wasn't a huge factor in my decision making but it was a comfort once I had made a choice.

4-I had applied directly from undergrad and while I've taken a year off to work I worry about how competitive I'll be when I finish my grad degree. GW schedules the bulk of its classes after working hours and I'm hoping to be able to find a full time job so I can pay my rent and bolster my resume.

Ultimately, while I think the SAIS degree might be a bit more impressive I wasn't comfortable being in heavy debt and without significant work experience when I graduated.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: University of Michigan - Ford School

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: In order of most to least consideration - Duke, Chicago, UCLA, UCSD, GWU, Pitt. The decision that tore at me for two weeks was Duke vs. Michigan

1. Dual degree opportunities: I'm going to get a dual degree, I really like that option as a way to hone your interests and training. I'm just not sure what the dual degree is going to be yet. I have a couple career paths in mind that I'm not sure about yet but will feel a lot better about by this time next year. No matter which direction I go Michigan is a top 10 program; they're excellent at EVERYTHING. I could easily end up with an MA in Poli Sci, Econ, Chinese Studies, or an MS in Enviro, depending on what I want to do after graduating. Seeing how I do in certain (quant) classes, how I like graduate student life, working with the career center and talking to alumni for the better part of a year is going to help me narrow that down.

2. Courses and course options: Duke just doesn't have enough electives for all the classes I want to take. Michigan has substantially more elective options and the courses offered within the policy school in general sounded more along the lines of what I'm interested in.

3. Location of alumni: I have lived in DC and didn't care for it. I don't want to go back there unless I absolutely have to for a couple years to get my career started. I will not settle down there, period. I want to live in the West, i.e., nothing east of Colorado. 90% of Duke grads were going to DC, NYC, or somewhere else on the eastern seaboard. UCLA and UCSD had the best showing here, but UCLA's career services are, to be kind, lacking and UCSD is more of an IR school than I thought. Michigan alums are everywhere, with a good concentration in DC but strong showings throughout the country and abroad.

There were many others of course and they weighed differently at all the schools I considered, but these were the main points for me in decided to forgo funding and go with what I believe will be the best school for me.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: University of California, San Diego

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: In order of most to least consideration - Michigan State University (Master's in Higher Edu. Admin), American University (SIS)

1. Unique focus on Asia. Besides having full membership in APSIA, they are the only program that focusing on the Pacific region specifically. As a Japanophile who has travelled and volunteered in Asia, this really appealed to me. I had looked at other programs in DC, but they were really general I thought. So, when I saw UCSD's booth at the APSIA grad school fair back in the Fall of 2007, I was really impressed. It is one of the few grad schools that is currently hiring new professors and expanding.

2. Quantative strength, not only do you take QM1 and 2, but you take QM3 as well, which will give me the edge again other more well known schools.

3. Funding

And although, this was not a deciding factor, I won't mind the climate of San Diego!

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Ford School, U Michigan (MPP)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: Harris U. Chicago, Georgetown

A combination of factors, including funding, dual-degree opportunities, reputation, welcoming community, gut, and I really liked Ann Arbor. I also really liked Chicago, and if it weren't for the funding disparity, this would have been a really difficult choice.

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Fels Institute, UPenn (MGA)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: Carnegie Mellon-Heinz (Pitt track), GWU, NYU

Funding, personal attention, welcoming community, location. NYU has been my dream school, but there was no way to justify the debt load to go into public service. I would've liked to stay in DC, but GWU didn't offer any funding. Carnegie's program is excellent, but the location was a drawback. Although not as well-ranked as other policy programs, I felt that the UPenn brand would've been enough to overcome any discrepancy. I fell in love with the campus and Philly, and felt that it was more connected to the Northeast Corridor than Pittsburgh. I also appreciated the fact that it was easy to pursue dual degrees and take courses at the law school or Wharton.

Best of luck to everyone!

THIS IS WHERE I'M GOING TO ATTEND: Georgetown Public Policy Institute (GPPI)

OTHER SCHOOLS I CONSIDERED: NYU Wagner, LSE, GWU, Hopkins

1. It was the best fit for me. After visiting 8 schools, GPPI was the one that I left thinking "Wow, I want to go here!" I also got a really great feeling from NYU Wagner. However, since I want to work in D.C., the practicality of being in Washington was a big factor.

2. I want to work in American political issues. Therefore, D.C. was the best place over NYC, Baltimore, and London. LSE would have been really cool, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to go abroad for school when I want to focus on American issues. Internship opportunities in D.C. are important to me. Also, GPPI has some great study abroad opportunities, so I can still get my international experience.

3. Funding. GPPI really came through for me in making it affordable.

4. The people there. I loved the Open House. I met great prospective students, and I enjoyed the current students and faculty. I think it will be a great atmosphere.

5. I needed to make a decision. There are so many great schools out there. I think I would have enjoyed spending a year at pretty much every place I applied. But, now that I've decided, there's no looking back!