Thought I would be pissed....... I have never been happier :)

lab ratta-tat-tat

So as I posted in another thread,

I was rejected from my dream school and now the wait is over. I promised my self I would spend days crying, shopping sprees-maxxing the BEEP out of credit cards, eating a crap ton of food, ice cream and drinking beer.

Truth be told- and in all honesty, I was sad. I cried for about 3o minutes and questioned every aspect of my application. I was given no info on why I was rejected and truth be told this is the 2nd time with this specific school.

Later that night I became (oddly) happy. I was sad to have my dreams of graduate school shattered, but then again I am not the only person who has EVER been rejected, so I know a lot of people are going through a similar situation now. Even this morning I woke up with a new outlook, I could now make a plan B and move on. I could finally apply for other jobs in my field and be happy. The waiting (which IS the WORST part) is over and now I can put that craptastic negative past behind me and move on.

Lastly, one of my POI's emailed me telling me they were sorry about my rejection but really happy because they would be willing to offer me a full time position as a "permanent scientist" so to speak making much more than a graduate student makes.... so not all is lost.

I hope this gives some a light at the end of the tunnel. Good Luck!

Edited by lab ratta-tat-tat

Lastly, one of my POI's emailed me telling me they were sorry about my rejection but really happy because they would be willing to offer me a full time position as a "permanent scientist" so to speak making much more than a graduate student makes.... so not all is lost.

I hope this gives some a light at the end of the tunnel. Good Luck!

Sometimes bad things that happen to us turn out to be for better. And it seems true in your case. You will get a job and will earn much more money than a grad student makes! I think it is great! Congrats! :)

Some people who are rejected feel miserable because they do not know what else to do with their life but it is certainly not your case. I must say, your position is enviable.

Good luck!

Yes I have :)

I told the PI I was thinking about applying to another place and they asked me if it was "because of money" why I was applying to another place. (it is within the same university) I said yes, they asked me If I could meet with them this week to negotiate a salary which is great. They are desperate for good researchers and to be honest, the last time I applied to graduate school (at this school) ETS sent my test scores very very late (because it was the holiday season) and the program did not get it "On time" and removed my application. Interestingly, a PI at that time who was on the adcom read my application and hired me then.

So I have had good luck and I am pretty sure it is a sign I am not meant to go to graduate school. Not in a bad way, maybe I would succeed but I would not thrive the way they would want me to or I might not be happy. Who knows... but this has worked out for the best.

Very nice. I'm glad that things have worked out so well for you. The PI seems to think very highly of you and your work - do you know why they didn't offer you admission?

They got all local applicants this year and I bombed the GRE. They specifically mention on their website they have NO minimum requirements and score the overall application before making any decisions.

I have several publications and research experience. So for everyone who thinks the GRE isn't important...... (I was one of them and the program I applied to told me they didn't think highly of it) Watch out... it matters.

They got all local applicants this year and I bombed the GRE. They specifically mention on their website they have NO minimum requirements and score the overall application before making any decisions.

I have several publications and research experience. So for everyone who thinks the GRE isn't important...... (I was one of them and the program I applied to told me they didn't think highly of it) Watch out... it matters.

That's really too bad that they put that much emphasis on the GRE scores - it really isn't a very good indicator of ability for grad school. I'm happy it worked out in the end though.