List of programs offering a Master's in Archaeology?

bulev

Does such a list exist?

It's called Google! Just kidding...

Here's a resource that is bloated with other content, but is works for quick survey searches:

http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/campus-programs/anthropology/masters/united-states

Overall comprehensive listing of US Grad programs in anthropology

http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ/state/

But count me in on the the "me too" crowd. I'd like to know if this has been done before, so that I don't reinvent the wheel if I start a voluntaryist web project listing anthropoogy graduate studies programs.

It's called Google! Just kidding...

Here's a resource that is bloated with other content, but is works for quick survey searches:

http://www.gradschoo...s/united-states

Overall comprehensive listing of US Grad programs in anthropology

http://www.utexas.ed...rld/univ/state/

But count me in on the the "me too" crowd. I'd like to know if this has been done before, so that I don't reinvent the wheel if I start a voluntaryist web project listing anthropoogy graduate studies programs.

Awesome, thanks. I did a google search and the best I could come up with were several seemingly commercial portals.

There's quite a few places in Canada that have excellent programs. It really depends on what your area of interest is.

ie. Simon Frasier for West Coast, Alberta for plains, Calgary for Mesoamerica, etc.

There's quite a few places in Canada that have excellent programs. It really depends on what your area of interest is.

ie. Simon Frasier for West Coast, Alberta for plains, Calgary for Mesoamerica, etc.

I'm still figuring out my specific interest to be honest. I started off pursuing classical archaeology but I don't think I'll be able to get in enough language courses before graduation to make me a competitive applicant in that area.

Does anyone know if a Master's program that focuses specifically on archaeology is better for PhD admissions in archaeology than a more general course of study in anthropology?

Edited by bulev

Awesome, thanks. I did a google search and the best I could come up with were several seemingly commercial portals.

I forgot to ask what countries you were interested in; I read into your post without actually reading it which is bad of me.

Where are you looking?

Does anyone know if a Master's program that focuses specifically on archaeology is better for PhD admissions in archaeology than a more general course of study in anthropology?

Generally speaking, yes, though with a few caveats--it will help you to have Masters work in archaeology if you were working in (/towards) the topic you want to focus on in your eventual PhD work. If you are planning to work in the New World (which would be a pretty big jump from classics, but hey, you never know), archaeological practice has much closer ties with sociocultural anth, so there may not be much disparity between how much sociocultural Masters work will help you and how much strictly archaeological Masters work will help. If you want to use the Masters (either archaeo or anth) to just explore different areas you don't have much exposure to and don't narrow your focus and strengthen your background in that one area, having that Masters may not necessarily give you a significant boost over another applicant who only has a Bachelors but has spent more time and coursework on their proposed PhD specialty.

If most of your coursework to date is in classical archaeo and you're still interested in continuing in that vein, many classicists have trouble with fulfilling the language requirements. One option that many take is to enroll in a post-bac program focusing just on the languages they need, or, if they're more interested specifically in the archaeological side of things rather than philology or history, apply directly through archaeology departments* for their graduate studies rather than through classics departments, since the language requirements tend to be less (though it may still be a good idea to squeeze in that post-bac study if you can).

*(or anth if archaeo isn't its own department at that particular school; interdepartmental archaeo programs like UCLA's Cotsen and Brown's Joukowsky are particularly good for this since they pretty reliably include classical archaeology in their programs instead of letting it stay segregated in classics.)

There are books you can buy that list every program for every subfield at the bookstore

Books like these have to be updated every year or so, and they cost money and time and gas. Why not support the freedom of information future?

There are some, well who don't practice with integrity what they rail against. Noam for example. Why can't he drop the publisher and publish his thoughts as books for free or reduced price on his website?

Just an innocent question, no?

But, while we wait, the technology persists with propelling revolutions

They are updated each year but they don't change that much. I never bought the books. A good practice is go and spend like an hour at a bookstore. Get a coffee and bring pen and paper and write down the prgrams for free. However, you can do it at home online also. It just takes longer.

Incidentally, I found this website on About.com to be particularly helpful when I was first looking into applying to Archaeology graduate programs. It's fairly comprehensive, though with a few blind spots since it seems to focus more on programs worldwide than just in the U.S., but it's updated regularly, and although it doesn't let you sort programs by whether they offer terminal Masters degrees, it does let you sort them by other characteristics that may help you narrow things down (e.g. location, specialty, etc), and then lists the degree types offered in the actual list of programs.

Just fyi the links to the actual list are above the list of external links under "GGSA by Name", "GGSA by Program Focus", etc. It's not the clearest layout ever. :)

Incidentally, I found this website on About.com to be particularly helpful when I was first looking into applying to Archaeology graduate programs. It's fairly comprehensive, though with a few blind spots since it seems to focus more on programs worldwide than just in the U.S., but it's updated regularly, and although it doesn't let you sort programs by whether they offer terminal Masters degrees, it does let you sort them by other characteristics that may help you narrow things down (e.g. location, specialty, etc), and then lists the degree types offered in the actual list of programs.

Just fyi the links to the actual list are above the list of external links under "GGSA by Name", "GGSA by Program Focus", etc. It's not the clearest layout ever. :)

thanks.