SIPA: MIA vs MPA

Hi

Can any of the current applicants explain the difference between the two programs? From their website, it appears to me that very much is overlapping...however according to the employment statistics, more MIA graduates than MPA grads tend to get the careers I would be interested in....

please shed some light on this...thanks

Hi

Can any of the current applicants explain the difference between the two programs? From their website, it appears to me that very much is overlapping...however according to the employment statistics, more MIA graduates than MPA grads tend to get the careers I would be interested in....

please shed some light on this...thanks

You're correct in noticing that there's barely a difference between the two, as indicated by the table at the bottom of this page.

As you'll notice, the only difference is that MIAs take Conceptual Foundations of International Affairs + a course that fulfills the Interstate Relations requirement, as opposed to Politics of Policymaking I + II that MPAs take. Additionally, MIAs have a foreign language requirement (which is only required for the Economic and Political Development concentration for MPAs), and the dual degree options are slightly different if you're interested in those.

As far as general "vibe" goes, having taken a few SIPA classes as an undergrad, I know that SIPA students are also aware that their programs are pretty much the same, and, given that they take all of their classes together (again, apart from Conceptual Foundations / Politics of Policymaking), there's no observable "segregation" between the two programs. The MIA program is older and bigger (350/year as opposed to 110 for the MPA program), so the MIA program *might* have a larger network, but, again, same school and virtually the same program (and people tend to know that the MPA at SIPA is very international-oriented).

In sum, it just boils down to which out CF / PoP you see yourself taking.

The MIA program is older and bigger (350/year as opposed to 110 for the MPA program), so the MIA program *might* have a larger network, but, again, same school and virtually the same program (and people tend to know that the MPA at SIPA is very international-oriented).

It seems that this year they will admit 260 MIA's and 180 MPA's. Cutting MIA's by 1/3 has to happen in my application year!

It seems that this year they will admit 260 MIA's and 180 MPA's. Cutting MIA's by 1/3 has to happen in my application year!

Shit, son.

In all seriousness, though, I wonder whether the shift to more MPAs is part of a larger strategic vision, and, if so, what the rationale behind it is. Personally, I think SIPA would benefit from maintaining its "brand" as a leading IR school, though I guess the application numbers might be suggesting otherwise (not to mention that the space between public policy programs and IR programs is one that's yet to be fully occupied).