Conflicting Department Visits

I've been invited to the Open House/Admitted Weekends for two of my top PhD programs. Great! Problem: they're on the same weekend. School 1 is scheduled to be Thursday, Feb 24 and Friday, Feb 25th and School 2 is scheduled for Feb 24th-27th. I'm torn between several different options and would love to get some input from others on what they would do. Hopefully, the discussion will be helpful for other people in a similar situation as acceptances start rolling out...

I'm really interested in both programs, but I'm leaning towards School 1. Many people have told me that it's important to visit a school at the same time as your potential classmates so that you can get a feel for who you may be working alongside for the next 5+ years, and my department visits will definitely be a major factor in my decision process. Also, obviously, the schools will be putting their best foot forward on their official visit weekend. Both schools are on the West Coast, about a 3 hour flight apart, and I'm considering the possibility of going to School 1 for February 24th and flying up to School 2 on the 25th. This option would let me experience both potential classmate groups and open houses. However, I'm worried that I'll miss getting the full benefit of either weekend by cutting them both in half. On the other hand, I work on the East Coast, so combining the trips might be nice.

So basically, my conundrum boils down to this: Do the benefits of experiencing both campuses and departments during the official visit weekends outweigh the costs of limiting my time at both? And if I were to move one of them, does it make more sense decision-wise to visit my #1 choice on its official weekend or my #2 choice?

General thoughts on how to maximize the usefulness of department visits would also be helpful. Thanks!

Congrats on being invited to those Open Houses. Since you're leaning more towards School #1, you may want to spend the entire weekend there (24th and 25th). Then, you can go to school 2 from the 26th through the 27th. You spend about two days at both schools so it's somehow balanced. I think it's important that you visit both schools to get a feel of the place and see which one would be a better fit for you. Like you mentioned on your post, make sure you talk to your potential classmates, professors and admissions staff so that you will be using your time wisely and won't regret not being there for the entire open house.

Best of luck!!

I'd second pisces81 on this. If you can make the logistics work, I'd try and get to both open houses, if just for a day or two. That way you can get a feel for the place and professors as well as your potential classmates. I'd get in touch with whichever faculty you've been corresponding with and make sure they can meet with you while you're there. You can explain your dilemma, or fib a bit and say that you simply can't get away from work for the full open house - I'm sure they will care more that you've made the effort to visit than they will be put off from your missing a day or two of the program.

And congrats on the invites!

• 3 weeks later...

I know you were discussing this a few weeks ago so it may be too late, but hopefully this will still be helpful. i have four acceptances right now, and 4 recruiting trips planned. One is next weekend, two the weekend after that, and one the third weekend. I emailed two of the schools, and am postponing until other weekends in March. When I emailed, stating that I already had a trip planned for that weekend, both schools were perfectly happy inviting me the weekend that I asked for, including airfare. Its definitely worth asking if you can visit another weekend. Most likely, other students will be visiting late as well. Good luck and have fun visiting schools!