Music Plan Bs (Plans B?)

snes

Hey musicologists/composers/theorists: If you get rejected across-the-board (as I'm expecting), what is your Plan B?

Also, what would be an optimal plan B for someone who may try again next year?

Right now I'm doing a job that has nothing to do with music, and I'm not really sure what I can do this year in the meantime to make my applications more competitive for next year, other than conference presentations. I think I might try to learn a language.

What's your program?

I'm doing comp.. I did my undergrad in music Ed and have a less extensive portfolio/performance list than comp undergrads I'm competing with. I've prepared to not get in as a result.. Whether I get in or not, I'm spending the next however long beefing up my portfolio, hustling for performances, and entering competitions. If I don't get in, I'll feel pretty good about my prospects for next year.

What's your program?

Musicology, specifically music in pop culture.

Your plan sounds good. Kinda wish I had a good idea of what a musicologist can do to beef up her portfolio. Maybe I'll compose some video game music (one of my main interests). Good luck to you!

Edited by snes

Well, I mean it's super broad. It can encompass music history, ethnomusicology, music theory, music cognition, etc. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Hey musicologists/composers/theorists: If you get rejected across-the-board (as I'm expecting), what is your Plan B?

Also, what would be an optimal plan B for someone who may try again next year?

Right now I'm doing a job that has nothing to do with music, and I'm not really sure what I can do this year in the meantime to make my applications more competitive for next year, other than conference presentations. I think I might try to learn a language.

A few weeks ago I knew that I would reapply again for the next year if I didn't get in anywhere. Now I'm not so sure.

If I re-applied I think I have a few things in mind what I would do to strengthen my apps (such as spend more time on Statements, retake the GRE, etc.). I would continue to do conferences, and I think I would try to get published by one of the student journals in musicology.

Working on a language sounds like a good idea though. I'd do German.

If I get rejected from or don't get money from anywhere:

Improve my German, possibly learn Russian.

Expand my piano repertoire.

Apply again next year?

???????????????????????????????????

I think I might try to learn a language.

As an incredibly old-timer, I'll chime in. I did a B.Mus.Ed. (1974) and M.A. (performance, trombone, 1979), played free-lance for a few years, earned a very meagre living by playing and arranging/orchestrating, but was happy. I tried teaching Junior High music and positively hated it--and they hated me too :)

Then I got a wife who wanted a nice car, a house in the suburbs, etc. So, plan B was computer science (90% of B.S.C.S., 1984). I spent over 25 years in that, I learned a language (German) and am doing an M.A. in German Lit parttime (Plan C, but I'm just not THAT interested in a PhD in German) and have now decided to return to music.

Re: Plan B. Don't even think about Plan B. If you love music and it's the only thing you can imagine that will make you happy, then stay with Plan A. Believe me, it's a LOT harder at age 59 than at 29.

I don't think any of us are planning on giving up on music if we don't get into grad school. I think moreso the question is, "what will you do for the next year until you apply again if you don't get in this year?"

I don't think any of us are planning on giving up on music if we don't get into grad school. I think moreso the question is, "what will you do for the next year until you apply again if you don't get in this year?"

Yes, I realized that after my whiney-ranty angst-ridden post.

Learning a language is very useful (I highly recommend German)--it's sooo cool to be able to read a Bach cantata or a Mahler score that says langsam und feierlich gemessen or something, and not have to look it up in a dictionary :).

Continuing to learn more music, write more music, present at conferences, whatever it might be ... all of these are useful things.

As an incredibly old-timer, I'll chime in. I did a B.Mus.Ed. (1974) and M.A. (performance, trombone, 1979), played free-lance for a few years, earned a very meagre living by playing and arranging/orchestrating, but was happy. I tried teaching Junior High music and positively hated it--and they hated me too :)

Then I got a wife who wanted a nice car, a house in the suburbs, etc. So, plan B was computer science (90% of B.S.C.S., 1984). I spent over 25 years in that, I learned a language (German) and am doing an M.A. in German Lit parttime (Plan C, but I'm just not THAT interested in a PhD in German) and have now decided to return to music.

Re: Plan B. Don't even think about Plan B. If you love music and it's the only thing you can imagine that will make you happy, then stay with Plan A. Believe me, it's a LOT harder at age 59 than at 29.

Yay. I like your story. After failing to get my MRS degree in undergrad, I'm trying to find a husband who does some sort of lucrative thing so I don't feel so bad about my LAVISH MUSICOLOGY LIFESTYLE....

Yes, I realized that after my whiney-ranty angst-ridden post.

Learning a language is very useful (I highly recommend German)--it's sooo cool to be able to read a Bach cantata or a Mahler score that says langsam und feierlich gemessen or something, and not have to look it up in a dictionary :).

Continuing to learn more music, write more music, present at conferences, whatever it might be ... all of these are useful things.

I think that learning languages or more repertoire is great for your own personal benefit but won't necessarily be attractive to programs. The best way to prepare yourself for opportunities outside of graduate school is to seek professional work related to music while you are still an undergraduate. Internships, small paid gigs - either playing, writing program notes, working as a teaching artist - and other positions give you experience and also make you more attractive to both the professional and academic market. You would be surprised how many local organizations would love to give you experience if you volunteer your time. Sometimes, you may even get a stipend, or better yet, an actual pay check.

In college, I knew that a degree in music wasn't necessarily going to mean anything, even though I went to one of the 10 best Universities in the world (according to U.S. News and World Report). So, I started working with local arts organizations from literally the ground up - making coffee, etc - and eventually was given paid positions doing both artistic and academic work. This approach is what gave me my real education and has allowed me to support myself for years after leaving college. I am only returning to school not as a plan A or plan B, but because I know that in order to accomplish very serious professional goals which are highly focused, I need to spend the next few years of my life in school.

So sure - present at conferences, take a German class. But, also think about getting some work experience. Arm chair musicology only gets you so far.