Should I email or keep waiting? Louisiana State University

underdog

Ok, I know this has been posted already, but as it is April 1- I figured the answers might change a bit. I have already got an acceptance at one of my top choices, that I am happy to go to, just waiting on funding.

But I am waiting to hear from LSU. (Anyone heard from the history dept by the way?) I have checked the boards and lots of others (not in my dept.) have gotten word in Feb. and early March. My admissions packet was due in early January!

But here's the kicker, my name isn't "underdog" for nothing. I have terrible GPA and GRE scores... and I'm not one of those who are down playing the situation. They really do suck. I don't want to be one of those people who are on the fence, call and bug them, and then get denied. I feel as if it's a glass house or something. Silly.

I have already heard from all the other schools I applied to, and I really need to make some decisions about housing, employment, funding, ect.

Do I email? Do I call?

If yes, what do I say? Get off your ass and let me know?? My head is about to explode! :) How do I word that and sound urgent but polite? How have you done it?

Thanks yall, this board has been great!

Do I email? Do I call?

If yes, what do I say? Get off your ass and let me know?? My head is about to explode! :) How do I word that and sound urgent but polite? How have you done it?

I know how excruciating it is waiting for that last decision. i would start with a polite e-mail to the DGS of the program to which you applied, as well as any admissions officer you may have been in touch with -- but don't do cc, as they will both assume the other will respond, and neither will. :D

Urgency is the wrong tone to strike, I think, because it's not going to make them hurry and it may just annoy them. And they've heard it all before, surely. They may just be taking a long time to make / announce decisions -- yes, even this late -- or you may be unofficially waitlisted.

As for your scores etc., there's nothing you can do about that, and if they were good enough to get into one of your top choices, you've got to assume they're good enough here until you find otherwise. As long as you don't fly in there like a wrecking ball demanding answers, nothing you say or write will hurt you at this point.

Something like this:

"I applied for admittance to program X and was wondering if you could tell me when decisions will be announced. Receiving an answer from LSU will greatly help me in making my own decision by the national deadline of April 15. I realize it's a busy time of year, and thank you in advance for your response. best, X"

If they don't answer within 24 hours, I'd say it's time to start calling.

I am in a similar position, underdog. I applied to only one school (I am limited geography right now), but I hope to apply to more schools next year when moving will be an option. The one school I applied to has yet to respond other than to let me know all my application materials have arrived. Sigh. The waiting continues....

yesterday i called a school for the second time in a week 1/2. the lady remembered my name and actually apologized for not having a decision yet. she even went on to say she knows i have decisions to make and that they will try to notify me by the end of the week. she was polite and i feel that you should at least give them a first call if it's really bugging you. otherwise, just wait?

Yes, LSU would be a top choice, their history dept is great.

The school I have been accepted to, and I would be happy to attend, would be more of a financial hardship for me (finding housing, job, ect.) If I were able to be accepted at LSU I already have a place to live, easy to find job (family lives there.) Anyway, I think I'm going to send a nice email. Maybe they've forgotten about me?

This is what I ended up writing, I felt it was a bit "softer."

Dear Dr. XX,

I have applied for admittance to the XX Dept. I hope you will be able to let me know when the decisions will be announced. Receiving an answer from LSU will help me to make decisions regarding my future plans. I realize it's a busy time of year, and I thank you for your time and consideration.

With best regards,

XX

Here's hoping they let me know soon. Thanks engguy for your help.

Thanks palla! It's good to hear someone besides my parents are! :) At risk of sounding totally cheesy... I'm pulling for you too!

As a side note, it gets discouraging reading all these posts from people who are applying to all these ivy leagues/private/mega-schools and having to decide between full-ride scholarships, or they are lucky enough to have other financial assistance. I don't really have all those options and it makes me feel better to know someone is in the "limited geography" situation too.

Good luck palla! I wish you the best.

Thanks rising_star. I've come to think I may have been waitlisted and they are waiting to see if someone declines. This is really fine because *surprise surprise* I was just called for a job interview today! This will make the other school that has already accepted me much less of a financial hardship, if I get the job. I emailed this morning, the head of the dept. asking if they could let me know something... haven't heard anything. I'm starting to think that maybe LSU just isn't the place for me, especially with this new job prospect.

Good luck, I hope your scholarship rains money!

Just in case anyone is curious... I heard back from the graduate director of LSU today. I was SO impressed by his professional email, kind manner and quick response. As I expected, I have been wait-listed. I have decided to accept the other offer I received, which I a super psyched about.

Thanks everyone for being so supportive!