Start date for grad. programs in the fall

Does anyone know if PhD programs require new grad students to show up prior to the start of the semester or quarter in the fall? Or is the first day of classes usually the first required day to be there? I'm trying to plan my schedule for a summer job. I'm sure each program is different but are people generally planning on being available late-August at the earliest? (This is of course all dependent on being lucky enough to get into a program.)

It depends on the program and the school. My roommate had a 2-day orientation the week before classes began. My program, instead, had a 5-day orientation. On top of that, since I'm an international student, I had a previous week-long orientation. That is, I had to be here at least 15 days before the beginning of the classes.

If I were you I would check the starting dates for the programs you've applied to and would reserve the previous week for possible orientations.

It depends on the program and the school. My roommate had a 2-day orientation the week before classes began. My program, instead, had a 5-day orientation. On top of that, since I'm an international student, I had a previous week-long orientation. That is, I had to be here at least 15 days before the beginning of the classes.

If I were you I would check the starting dates for the programs you've applied to and would reserve the previous week for possible orientations.

Your program will send you more information on that; I imagine if you are a TA or RA, you will have to be there earlier for some training & etc. as well.

It's highly likely that you'll need to meet with your new advisor at least once prior to the semester starting. The Graduate School or University (as well as your department or program) may also offer an Orientation session. While these may not be required to attend, it's highly recommended. As Medievalmaniac mentioned, certain assistantships may also have a required training session. These generally occur in the week prior to school starting.