Stanford Materials Science & Engr F11

dchung

Did any one hear back from Stanford MSE PhD (2011)? They posted on the web and emailed saying that the decision will be made from Mid to Late Jan, but I have not hear anything from them. Just wondering whether I am the only one. My guess is that I am on the wait-list, but the visiting weekend is coming up in a week.

Applied to MIT, Berkeley, UCSB, Stanford, Caltech, GaTech, Michigan's MSE program.

Based on the results page, many of these school have sent out acceptance letter, but I didn't hear from any of them.

I have also applied to MSE at Stanford, and haven't heard anything from them yet.....

Visit weekend is in a week??

Stanford's visiting weekend is Feb 17-18 i think. They said they are running late on the evaluation, and should get back to you by the end of this week. Not sure about MIT and UCB though.

Oh....did you contact the department?

I saw about 4-5 admits each for MIT and Stanford, 3 for caltech and UCB in the results forum.....no rejections from any of these institutes yet.....wonder if these were the one and only round of acceptances......

Oh....did you contact the department?

I saw about 4-5 admits each for MIT and Stanford, 3 for caltech and UCB in the results forum.....no rejections from any of these institutes yet.....wonder if these were the one and only round of acceptances......

Yes, I contacted Stanford after waiting for 2 weeks. They are expecting to complete the phD evaluation by this week.

I am not so sure about UCB and Caltech though. UCB specified in the email that they planned to finish the evaluation by Mid Feb. So I guess there is still some chance there.

Caltech I believe they just started the evaluation.

anyway, if you are not placed on the wait-list, I believe the result should come this week or early next week for most of the school you applied to. Gluck (to myself as well....)

Congratulations emander on your admit!

Would you mind sharing some of your background information such as education, research experience, domestic or international so we know what the competition was like this year?

Yeah, sure. It's on the results page for stanford materials; the only one who said credentials for 2/12/11 (it says added 2/12/11 when I actually added it yesterday... these servers must be somewhere where ~9pm EST 2/11/11 is already 2/12/11) admits.

One thing I am concerned about is that I'm on their waitlist to receive financial aid. Does anyone know how bleak (hopeful) my prospects are for actually receiving financial aid? Do they really not fund all of their PhD graduates? Just tuition/fees would be fine for me to accept the offer.

Yeah, sure. It's on the results page for stanford materials; the only one who said credentials for 2/12/11 (it says added 2/12/11 when I actually added it yesterday... these servers must be somewhere where ~9pm EST 2/11/11 is already 2/12/11) admits.

One thing I am concerned about is that I'm on their waitlist to receive financial aid. Does anyone know how bleak (hopeful) my prospects are for actually receiving financial aid? Do they really not fund all of their PhD graduates? Just tuition/fees would be fine for me to accept the offer.

I was admitted yesterday too! But I'm also on the waiting list for financial aid... which really scares me. Do you know if there is a visiting weekend in MSE and if they will pay for part of it?

Would you mind sharing some of your background information such as education, research experience, domestic or international so we know what the competition was like this year?

I'm an international student from Waterloo (Canada). Nanotechnology Engineering program. I'm probably only in the top quarter of my class for marks (we use a 100 point scale, my gpa is like 81 which I guess is < 3.7). However, I have a TON of research experience... I've worked for like 4 companies doing R&D and I've published 1 journal paper as first author, 1 as second author and I have 2 reviewed conference papers as second author.

I think that international funding is limited at stanford which basically means I'll probably use this admit as a bargaining chip in my other applications. Stanford would be great but my research skills are rock solid so funding matters a LOT to me.