Interviews - group or individual?

nmihaylov

Hi there, knowledgeable people!

So, I have some invitations for visiting and interview days. I know for sure that some of my universities do group interviews - 10 people sit with 3-4 professors and "freely" discuss some topics. I've been on a "free discussion" competitive interview and I didn't like it a bit. I don't like to balance between having a smart say (bragging) and keeping a non-imposing, humble posture. I prefer talking face to face with a professor, where I can focus on him/her and have the time to think on my responses.

What are your notions about interview formats? It seems impossible for a group of 10-20 people to have one-to-one interviews with 5-10 professors and/or students in the course of 4-5 hours, so I suppose some group formats are inevitable, right?

But I do think that group formats are very different than individual ones in terms of how an applicant presents himself, how she explains her experience in comparison to the others' and how the hell he takes the mike from the crowd. :D

I have a PhD-student friend who is "coaching" me to be aggressive and "trump" over the claims of the other candidates. Not that I will (can) do it, but what do you think about the amiable/self-assertive balance in group interviews? Can you think of a reasonable strategy? And I don't mean only for selfish success, but for a real good interview discussion.

Thanks!

I wish I had good advice, but all I can do is commiserate. I just got back from my first recruitment weekend where I had two interviews with myself, the professor, and another recruit. I did not enjoy the format. The other students (and me, I think) were courteous and tried to share the time but it is not possible for the PI to give you each equal attention. When the two students have different ideas and questions the conversation can not flow as it would in a one-on-one meeting. The only saving grace is those two professors were not my top choice people. I would have been REALLY upset to share time with my first choice profs.

Meh.