Indecisive.

nertperson

Choosing between two schools for neuroscience PhD. My research interests are sort of broad/vague. Accepted at two schools and was not terribly excited by any of the research I saw at either one.

School A: Slightly higher-ranked. Funded through lab (so small chance funding could disappear). Many labs I didn't get a chance to meet with that might end up being a good match. Nice climate but regional "culture" does not suit me at all.

School B: Guaranteed funding through department. Did not really click with any of the labs I visited and there are only a few other options. Not happy with climate or research options but really enjoyed my time there, and felt much more suited to both the school's and town's atmosphere.

What else am I not considering? Why is this such a tough decision? I thought the obsessing would end once the acceptances were in!

It's not a tough decision. If you aren't excited about either school, don't go. But it sounds like though you like the town of School B, you wouldn't be happy in the department there. Since the dept/lab is where you'd spend most of your time, I'd say steer clear of School B.

i am having a similar dilemma...was accepted into a very good program where i completely clicked with the faculty and loved the department's atmosphere and research opportunities.

but the city....dear lord. just sooooooooo expensive and not at all my scene. i know we will spend most of our time on campus, but still....5-6 years is a long time to live in a place i am not excited about...

i don't know what to do...

See I'm willing to live in a place I'm not that excited about (I'm not excited about most places though) in order to be in a department that I really want to be a part of academically, intellectually, and socially. Because really that's who I'll be spending most of my time with.

And I stand by my earlier statement that if you aren't happy with either option then re-apply. Grad school is tough enough. You don't want to start out negatively and it seems you have negative feelings towards both School A and School B.

Really? You don't think it could be like a crappy first date that turns into a great relationship? (I don't know if that actually happens either.)

Yeah I think that's kind of a rash, quitter-like attitude. I am having a hard time deciding between two schools too and have gotten a lot of good advice so let me try to help. Look at your potential advisers (not the school, not the program, not other advisers) and look at the track record of their former students. For me, being able to land a great post-doc in a location of my choice (ie. back on the west coast) is extremely important, which is why I'm leaning toward one adviser with a very good reputation of training great students. Are both of the advisers tenured? That seems to be a big deal, my other option adviser is an assistant professor, has only been in the current program for about a year, and has never had a grad student. Of course someone eventually has to be the first student, but it's something to consider. Are the funding offers comparable at each place (taking into consideration cost of living)? Climate is important, but as an afterthought, research interests are far more important! Someone recently told me- you will be in 70 degree weather for 90% of your day anywhere you go, the only difference is whether that is because of air conditioning or heating. That said, driving in snow sounds scary. I think being in a bigger city is nice for grad school, being so busy I want to be able to have fun things to do when I can actually find the time! How about the other current students or potential new students? A lot of people say go with your gut, but I think it is important to weigh all of the options and make an informed decision. For undergrad, I ended up at a school that I didn't think I would until the very end. I chose it because of it's reputation producing great students and I could not have asked for a better undergrad experience. I'm not sure if any of that helped, but good luck with your decision! If you hate it, try to stick around for a master's and then go elsewhere, it's not the end of the world :D

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use