Gossip Re U Chicago

anyone have any inside info about when u chicago will be notifying? seems that, given the results from previous years, they should have started notifying by now or will start notifying this week!

Edited by limelight

I see an admit on the results board. . .anyone want to claim that and share any details? From what I recall in the past, all admits go out about the same time. Congrats to the admits and best of luck to everyone (including me!) waiting!

:(:(:( so maybe chicago is the first in my implied rejections pile. congrats to the people who got in and good luck to the people still waiting to hear!

Don't give up hope. Only 1 acceptance has been posted which could mean a number of things. Firstly, often times applicants who are considered for university-wide fellowships are contacted ahead of the rest of the accepted pool. That is probably the case with the Berkeley acceptance and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for UChicago.

Secondly, there was only 1 acceptance and it was posted after this thread "Gossip Re U Chicago" was created. Malicious intent may be involved since no other results entries have appeared.

Lastly, barring the last two scenarios, UChicago may not send out acceptances all at once. Even if they do, wait-lists are always a possibility.

Implicit rejections, in my opinion, are nothing but pessimism. Be proud of yourself and just take things as they come; that's the way to not panic.

Edited by jprufrock

Don't give up hope. Only 1 acceptance has been posted which could mean a number of things. Firstly, often times applicants who are considered for university-wide fellowships are contacted ahead of the rest of the accepted pool. That is probably the case with the Berkeley acceptance and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for UChicago.

Secondly, there was only 1 acceptance and it was posted after this thread "Gossip Re U Chicago" was posted. Malicious intent may be involved since no other results entries have appeared.

Lastly, barring the last two scenarios, UChicago may not send out acceptances all at once. Even if they do, wait-lists are always a possibility.

Implicit rejections, in my opinion, are nothing but pessimism. Be proud of yourself and just take things as they come; that's the way to not panic.

Thank you. Thank you. You are right. I am getting way ahead of myself and freaking out.

The single admit to Chicago, though, seems to be legit (or is at least keeping up the act) because they replied to a request on the results board for more info saying, "Responding to posting for more info regarding acceptance: received form email from department chair. No word on numbers admitted/applied. A generous stipend, health care, etc. Invited to departmental open house March 4th. Furthermore, I am 100% shocked to have been accepted. I didn't think I had the pedigree for Chicago!"

I think they are probably for real. Based on the past few years, I told my partner this morning that I thought Chicago would start notifying today or tomorrow.

No word of a fellowship, so I am going to assume that this person's a regular admit and, it seems at least, that answers go out around the same time. Maybe everyone has been notified, but I would be really surprised if there is only one person who frequents the boards who was accepted to UoC.

If they're being sent out by the department chair, it may help to know that he teaches on Wednesday afternoons (yeah, I'm that obsessive about knowing). So maybe he shot off a few emails to admits, went to teach, and--as I'm sure many of us can relate to--was just totally beat after class, went home, and said he'll finish it tomorrow.

At least that's the narrative I've constructed. And, of course, once that narrative is paired with the (probably incorrect) idea of alphabetized notification popularized in the Duke thread, this Y'er over here is able to keep his chin up.

Joking aside though, I have a feeling that more admits will be going out tomorrow from UoC and that until more start popping up on the results page, no one should assume rejection.

If they're being sent out by the department chair, it may help to know that he teaches on Wednesday afternoons (yeah, I'm that obsessive about knowing). So maybe he shot off a few emails to admits, went to teach, and--as I'm sure many of us can relate to--was just totally beat after class, went home, and said he'll finish it tomorrow.

Except today is Tuesday.

Except today is Tuesday.

Oh dammit! Sorry, I checked not that long ago and it's already Wednesday where I am...wasn't thinking properly. All right, well I can still hold out hope for the end of the alphabet thing, right? Seriously though, I'd be really surprised if there is only one person on the boards who hears something. There's got to be more to come...

Oh dammit! Sorry, I checked not that long ago and it's already Wednesday where I am...wasn't thinking properly. All right, well I can still hold out hope for the end of the alphabet thing, right? Seriously though, I'd be really surprised if there is only one person on the boards who hears something. There's got to be more to come...

Fingers crossed here, too. Where it's also Wednesday (UK represent!...?). And i'm still sitting here refreshing my goddamn emails even though i knoooooooooow nothing will come in the middle of the night (save the nightmares...).

Fingers crossed here, too. Where it's also Wednesday (UK represent!...?). And i'm still sitting here refreshing my goddamn emails even though i knoooooooooow nothing will come in the middle of the night (save the nightmares...).

So, so doing the same thing :( I am SO lame :(

Germany repräsentieren! ;) Okay, so I'm not the only other unhealthy person up at 4AM (?!) checking my emails...well, 3AM where you are. Ridiculous. But, I keep telling myself that it's still only 9PM in Chicago and something could come.

Germany repräsentieren! ;) Okay, so I'm not the only other unhealthy person up at 4AM (?!) checking my emails...well, 3AM where you are. Ridiculous. But, I keep telling myself that it's still only 9PM in Chicago and something could come.

Last night was the only night since late Jan that i didn't spend all evening checking my emails. And it was only because (cue pretention) i was at a *cough* Judith Butler lecture *cough*. Although, that didn't stop me obsessing--i saw that David Eng was also in attendance, who's one of my POIs (and we have corresponded a bunch) (although !":@"!@:##!'&'/#/'/'#/' my UPenn application remains incomplete on account of one LOR and my backup fourth LOR both going on sick leave and being incommunicado) and i was reeeeally tempted to be like "hey Dave, nice sweater; you have no idea who i am right now butcanyoutellmewhengraduateadmissionswillsendmyrejectionthrough?". Luckily, my roommate stopped me.

I'm making myself ill.

Hi everyone,

I'm the one who posted about U Chicago. I assure you it's legitimate, for better or for worse! I read the acceptance email five or six times trying to determine whether it was a hoax or not, so I'm sympathetic to concerns about a fake posting. At this moment in my life (again, for better or for worse), fake postings are just about the worst thing I can imagine.

I'm not sure what you'd like to know, but my email said that the official letter will come in early March. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances for my hearing early that I'm not aware of?

Well, I can't help feeling like a bit of a jerk for making everyone anxious. I hope I didn't do anything wrong by posting early news. My apologies for any increase in stress levels among applicants. I wish everyone good luck!

Hi everyone,

I'm the one who posted about U Chicago. I assure you it's legitimate, for better or for worse! I read the acceptance email five or six times trying to determine whether it was a hoax or not, so I'm sympathetic to concerns about a fake posting. At this moment in my life (again, for better or for worse), fake postings are just about the worst thing I can imagine.

I'm not sure what you'd like to know, but my email said that the official letter will come in early March. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances for my hearing early that I'm not aware of?

Well, I can't help feeling like a bit of a jerk for making everyone anxious. I hope I didn't do anything wrong by posting early news. My apologies for any increase in stress levels among applicants. I wish everyone good luck!

Congrats, sausundbraus! Don't feel like a jerk at all, and you didn't do anything wrong. It's not you who is making everyone anxious; we are all making ourselves anxious!!

Last night was the only night since late Jan that i didn't spend all evening checking my emails. And it was only because (cue pretention) i was at a *cough* Judith Butler lecture *cough*. Although, that didn't stop me obsessing--i saw that David Eng was also in attendance, who's one of my POIs (and we have corresponded a bunch) (although !":@"!@:##!'&'/#/'/'#/' my UPenn application remains incomplete on account of one LOR and my backup fourth LOR both going on sick leave and being incommunicado) and i was reeeeally tempted to be like "hey Dave, nice sweater; you have no idea who i am right now butcanyoutellmewhengraduateadmissionswillsendmyrejectionthrough?". Luckily, my roommate stopped me.

I'm making myself ill.

Eng is one of my POIs as well at UPenn [dramatic flourish] and I was thinking about trying to run into him when I'm in the UK every now and again (my partner is at Goldsmiths). Alas, I haven't either. I don't think we'll be in direct competition though because I'm pretty sure UPenn is a very weak fit for me, I applied because I'm from Philly and my friends/family would kill me if I didn't. I would love to go there -- campus is amazing and I miss being in Philly, but the department is too focused on literature/I'm too focused on cultural studies for it to really work out. Hmm. I wish you had talked to him though, I would love to know when/if they are sending out decisions. Ok, but let's not get ahead of ourselves: Chicago.

Congratulations to sausundbraus: fantastic news! Don't apologize, live it up! Whatever you did, they loved it and think you definitely have the "pedigree" for it - nice job!

Still nothing?!

I'm going batty waiting.

And, in perhaps the most insidious trick Gmail has ever played on me, I just opened my in-box to find an email from the Chicago Tribune. I could have killed my computer. It was an advertisement for $100 off a flight to anywhere.

Strange thing is, I never signed up for emails from the Chicago Tribune. So, I'm thinking it's definitely the adcom taking a more subtle approach to announcing admittance. Maybe I should just email them and tell them I accept...

If anyone hears anything or decides to call for more information (anyone want to volunteer?), please update the hand-wringers over here.

Still nothing?!

I'm going batty waiting.

And, in perhaps the most insidious trick Gmail has ever played on me, I just opened my in-box to find an email from the Chicago Tribune. I could have killed my computer. It was an advertisement for $100 off a flight to anywhere.

Strange thing is, I never signed up for emails from the Chicago Tribune. So, I'm thinking it's definitely the adcom taking a more subtle approach to announcing admittance. Maybe I should just email them and tell them I accept...

If anyone hears anything or decides to call for more information (anyone want to volunteer?), please update the hand-wringers over here.

This happened to me, too, today with the Chicago Tribune spam! Not ok, universe.

Looking at the results page: wasn't there a post about the details one of the admits received? Did it disappear? Am I missing something?

I don't think so--I've been keeping a close eye on UChicago as well. There have only been 2 posts (both acceptances), neither with any additional info.