Stress killing me slowly

Dillskyplayer

Tonight I hit a wall: Feels like my chest/diaphragm is so tight from anxiety from all of this waiting that I feel like I could keel over. It feels like I have a burp waiting to happen that won't go away. I've always had anxiety, but nothing like this. And actually, a few days ago I went to my doctor for this chronic jaw pain that started this month. Doc said I have TMJ caused by biting down in my sleep due to stress!!! February to mid-March will be the death of me. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the stress of waiting? The last time I was in this position was four years ago --- and I feel like I'm not going to have a single non-gray hair left (and I'm only 26) by the time this is over!

Cry =[

Tonight I hit a wall: Feels like my chest/diaphragm is so tight from anxiety from all of this waiting that I feel like I could keel over. It feels like I have a burp waiting to happen that won't go away. I've always had anxiety, but nothing like this. And actually, a few days ago I went to my doctor for this chronic jaw pain that started this month. Doc said I have TMJ caused by biting down in my sleep due to stress!!! February to mid-March will be the death of me. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the stress of waiting? The last time I was in this position was four years ago --- and I feel like I'm not going to have a single non-gray hair left (and I'm only 26) by the time this is over!

Cry =[

First, if possible, take consolation in the fact that there are thousands of people going through this anxiety this time of year. Second, try to establish a mentality that whatever comes your way, you'll make the best of it. That is, try not to stake your existence on what results are on their way. We're all guilty of this, but it helps to keep in mind that your life is not over if you don't get in to wherever, it's just nominally different. Third, try to preoccupy yourself with something healthy and, ideally, social that will get your mind off of the waiting. If you have nothing to do (besides your normal work, that is), then waiting is all you will have to do. Go biking, go out with friends, pick up an instrument.

Lastly, and I don't mean this by any mean as a last resort, consider some counseling. Especially if you are in a university right now, hit up a free service that people pay top dollar for when they're out of their program! Even highly productive people make great use of it.

Best of luck with your applications!

I agree with the recommendation to seek counselling. Your health is what is most important right now and if the stress is affecting your health then you need to do something about it.

Remember also, that many successful graduate students did not get in on their first attempt or even on their second. This is my second time around after getting all rejections last year, so there is life after getting all rejections. You just got to pick yourself up and try again. So don't look at the application decisions as the most important thing ever.

Edited by newms

I agree with the recommendation to seek counselling. Your health is what is most important right now and if the stress is affecting your health then you need to do something about it.

Remember also, that many successful graduate students did not get in on their first attempt or even on their second. This is my second time around after getting all rejections last year, so there is life after getting all rejections. You just got to pick yourself up and try again. So don't look at the application decisions as the most important thing ever.

Feeling a bit better now. I just closed my laptop and vegged out on the couch and said, "This work for tomorrow? Yes. It's due tomorrow. But... I can do it tomorrow. It won't be the end of the world." Thanks for the good pastoral care. And for lending an ear and some kind words. I know we're all stressed -- I basically live my life in a cycle of school applications, more school, more applications -- and now that I'm up to hopefully the last bout of school, a.k.a. PHD applications, it freaks me out a bit to know that well, "What if?" What if I don't get in and I've spent the last 8 years studying this stuff just SO I can get in! As yall said - it isn't the end of the world if you don't get in. Just have to try again and pick yourself up. Stress is a terrible terrible thing. Hopefully we all can have some hope filled resolutions soon.

Cry =[

I deal with anxiety too especially when it comes to big things like this (or Greek tests, or GRE's lol) - I drink a lot of chamomile tea (it seriously helps!) and try to burn off all the anxiety with exercise. It doesn't help that everyone in MN probably has some sort of cabin fever and Vitamin D levels are always low this time of year because we can't get out in the sun. Maybe try and get out and do something fun! I am going to take this advice myself :)

And just think, no matter what happens you will make the best out of the situation and be where you are suppose to be!

I would love it if there were some way to fast forward a few weeks so that I woudn't have to endure the anxiety of waiting for admissions decisions. Does anyone have any tips for making the time pass?

It kind of reminds me of that episode of South Park where Cartman tries to cryogenically freeze himself in snow so that he won't have to wait any longer for a video game to come out in a month. (Yes go ahead and judge me for watching South Park. I deserve it and you know you want to anyway! :) )

I would love it if there were some way to fast forward a few weeks so that I woudn't have to endure the anxiety of waiting for admissions decisions. Does anyone have any tips for making the time pass?

It kind of reminds me of that episode of South Park where Cartman tries to cryogenically freeze himself in snow so that he won't have to wait any longer for a video game to come out in a month. (Yes go ahead and judge me for watching South Park. I deserve it and you know you want to anyway! :) )

As of right now, I am drinking a tall vodka cranberry and am working on my thesis project. Takes the edge off and makes editing tolerable.

It kind of reminds me of that episode of South Park where Cartman tries to cryogenically freeze himself in snow so that he won't have to wait any longer for a video game to come out in a month.

I dunno, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea right now.

Because one of my very good friends is applying to some of the same programs as me and getting a lot of the heavy hitter scholarships, I've gotten increasingly more on edge. I feel like I'm a very good applicant, but his successes are kind of getting to me. Oh well, his successes are with programs that weren't the highest on my list, but still...

• 4 weeks later...

I have had generalized anxiety and panic disorder for years. It helps to remind myself that anxiety is a transient emotion- it will be gone soon. I also like to use mindfulness meditation. It may help to find a counselor or a psychiatrist who is trained to help with anxiety and stress issues. Good luck to you and I wish you well, I have been there before!

Dillskyplayer, I can sympathize. In the Fall, when I was still trying to decide whether to apply to philosophy PhD programs or theology MA programs, the stress was palpable. The GRE on top of it all... I was literally having anxiety attacks during the course of a normal day when nothing provoked them. I was changing my son's diaper once, not thinking of anything stressful at all, and one came on.

This grad-school process is more of a hazing ritual than anything else =P.

Ironically, I have not suffered from stress this application cycle.

Actually, I have been stressed out, but for reasons other than this application cycle. For example, I have a huge biochemistry test over the organic chemistry of glycolysis and the Krebs cycle in about 1.5 hrs :(

Down to the wire! Now I have nothing left to do with my week except memorize my monologue, perform, and remember to breathe. :-)