Berkeley Acceptance

Just got an e-mail! I am accepted to Berkeley too!!! but man is the funding situation dismal.

Probably isn't as bad as it sounds on paper--and I bet there's a lot of opportunity for those who look for it--but I envision combing beaches just to scavenge for food.

Mmm, delicious slimy mollusks.

Edited by jprufrock

I was accepted to Berkeley. I'm super excited! I did (well actually, I am now finishing!) my undergrad there. They said I'm nominated for a fellowship, but yeah, we'll see how the funding goes.

Edited by t11

I was accepted to Berkeley. I'm super excited! I did (well actually, I am now finishing!) my undergrad there. They said I'm nominated for a fellowship, but yeah, we'll see how the funding goes.

Congratulations to you both!

Hey, congratulations! I'm also an undergrad at Berkeley, still waiting back on an admissions decision though. What's your area of specialization?

In response to a later comment: I heard from one of my professors that all acceptances have been decided upon, the admissions committee is just figuring out the details of funding. So it's quite possible that students who aren't going to be receiving fellowships will be contacted later...although without a fellowship, and considering the way California's funding of education has been going lately, I'm not sure Berkeley would be as high up on my list...!

Is this it for Berkeley acceptances? I read they accept ~40 people, so I'm wondering if just fellowship nominees got responses and there's still hope for regular admits...

Congratulations to those of you you have been admitted!

From what I have been told, Berkeley doesn't actually admit any more students than your average large English department. Like many features of the Berkeley English website, the "40-45" admits they cite is likely a little out of date. I believe that last year they contacted non-fellowship admits the day after calling fellowship nominees - so there was a delay, but it was a fairly negligible one. Practices can sometimes change though!

Hey, congratulations! I'm also an undergrad at Berkeley, still waiting back on an admissions decision though. What's your area of specialization?

In response to a later comment: I heard from one of my professors that all acceptances have been decided upon, the admissions committee is just figuring out the details of funding. So it's quite possible that students who aren't going to be receiving fellowships will be contacted later...although without a fellowship, and considering the way California's funding of education has been going lately, I'm not sure Berkeley would be as high up on my list...!

Thanks readingredhead! My area of specialization is 20th/21st C multiethnic literature.

Thanks readingredhead! My area of specialization is 20th/21st C multiethnic literature.

Haha, the only course I ever took that had 20th c books on the syllabus was 45C, although that wasn't entirely intentional? I do 18th/19th c British literature, and just never really got around to taking too many classes outside that area of interest.

Who here is attending the Visit Weekend?

The last event is on Monday at 7:00PM (PST, of course)--a dinner at the home of Professors George Starr and Julia Bader in Berkeley Hills. I'm trying to figure out a flight schedule since I intend on working Tuesday morning, so I wanted to know how some of you are planning to get to the airport etc or what flight times you're planning on.

We're responsible for finding our own transportation while we're there, apparently, so maybe we can stick together and figure it out.

Edit to add helpful info from our grad student cheerleaders/hosts:

Unfortunately transportation is not provided by the department, but there may be other prospective students headed to the airport after dinner that night as well. There are multiple ways of getting to the airport (see next paragraph) and I would recommend taking a flight out that leaves later rather than earlier, particularly since Professors Starr and Bader live up in the Berkeley Hills and it takes a bit longer to get from their house to the airport.

In terms of getting to and from the airports, I've used the BayPorter Express (http://www.bayporter.com/) shuttle service previously and have found that the rates are often cheaper than other similar services (you could also get a taxi, but crossing the bay by taxi runs at least $50, if not substantially more with traffic). But when I go to the airport, I almost always just take BART, which costs $8.65 from downtown Berkeley to SFO (takes about an hour) and $5.35 from downtown Berkeley to the Oakland airport (takes 45 minutes or so). The "Quick Planner" in the left corner of the BART website (http://www.bart.gov/) is very helpful for looking up departure, arrivals, and connection times, too.

Edited by jprufrock

Who here is attending the Visit Weekend?

The last event is on Monday at 7:00PM (PST, of course)--a dinner at the home of Professors George Starr and Julia Bader in Berkeley Hills. I'm trying to figure out a flight schedule since I intend on working Tuesday morning, so I wanted to know how some of you are planning to get to the airport etc or what flight times you're planning on.

We're responsible for finding our own transportation while we're there, apparently, so maybe we can stick together and figure it out.

Edit to add helpful info from our grad student cheerleaders/hosts:

I actually live in Berkeley, so I will not be going to/from the airport. But let me know if you have any questions about transportation. If you can find a flight later in the evening after the dinner, and are willing to pay about 30-ish dollars, the Bayporter Express Shuttle is a a good way to go. They can pick you up at any local residence (eg., Profs Bader and Starr's house) and take you to either SFO or Oakland International. Be forewarned, they will want to pick you really early (like two hours!) before your flight. I may not be there for the other events, but I will probably be at the dinner on the 7th. Hope to meet you there :).