Question to those of you who applied again the following year

TheStranger

So I was looking over how fast I finish paintings and drawings, and even though I want to apply at the end of this year, I don't think I'll realistically finish on time. Therefor, I was thinking maybe I could use as much as I could to apply to my dream school and just see what they say about what I have so far. So I feel I'd go in unprepared and ready to be rejected. So my question is, is it okay to turn in mostly the SAME art pieces the next year to the same school but maybe removing a couple of weaker pieces and adding several stronger pieces? Would they frown upon seeing a portfolio with a majority of the same things they saw last year?

Example, turn in 16 pieces. They reject it. Next year I replace 6 pieces with stronger newer ones but have 10 of the same pieces from last time.

Those are good questions. I applied this year for the second time to two of the schools I applied to last year, MICA and RISD (plus 9 schools to which I hadn't previously applied). And it turned out that about half of my portfolio was new stuff, and half was stuff that they saw last year. I have no idea whether this is ok or frowned upon, I just took the chance and we shall see.

I think hullo definitely has a good point to use other resources, BUT i will say that last year's application process made me much more prepared for this year's. I am definitely glad I got that experience last year of going through the motions: doing the apps, having a couple interviews. This time around, I know more of what to expect. So, I would say that if you have the time and energy, apply to some places at the end of the year. But I definitely wouldn't recommend just applying to your "dream school." Sure, apply to that, but also apply to some that don't have such slim acceptance rates. Try to get through the first round of the app process and get some interviews; that will really help and, it is the only way of getting an inkling of what they think of your work...because, in my experience, the only solid "feedback" about your work that you get from the process comes from the words "rejected" or "accepted." Admissions committees don't seem to have time to tell you what they like and dislike about your work. That's why the grad portfolio day is such a great thing--it's the only chance I've had where they DO tell you that stuff.

Thanks guys. I called about National Portfolio Day, apparently held at Calarts on the west coast, and the next one is next Fall semester. So I will definitely wait to go to that when the time comes as I live in CA and I should have the majority of my work completed by that time.

Has anyone else been to one of those Portfolio Days? Are their evaluations quite accurate to application acceptance results? Did you bring in large originals or did everyone just bring in digital copies?

I'm going to call some schools up and ask them about 'pre application portfolio reviews' as well....it seems like it could save me a lot of time and money if certain schools already want to weed you out in the preliminary stages. I don't want to apply blind with naive hope if the school only swings certain ways.

Thanks again guys!

You can bring whatever you want. Most people bring a laptop with images, but many people bring a portfolio case. I do photography so I brought prints in a book.

I wouldn't say that they try to 'weed you out' so much as they get a chance to meet you and they'll remember you when you apply. Most likely you'll weed them out because they either respond coldly to your work or you realize they won't mesh.

It's also a chance to talk about your work. I decided not to apply to one school becuase they didn't let me talk about my work and shot down every idea I had. That's not the kind of place I want to be.

I had one professor tell me to apply, and I now have an interview.

People who go to these, and on visits have a much better chance. Infortunatly a lot of schools don't participate in these.

Thanks guys. I called about National Portfolio Day, apparently held at Calarts on the west coast, and the next one is next Fall semester. So I will definitely wait to go to that when the time comes as I live in CA and I should have the majority of my work completed by that time.

Has anyone else been to one of those Portfolio Days? Are their evaluations quite accurate to application acceptance results? Did you bring in large originals or did everyone just bring in digital copies?

I'm going to call some schools up and ask them about 'pre application portfolio reviews' as well....it seems like it could save me a lot of time and money if certain schools already want to weed you out in the preliminary stages. I don't want to apply blind with naive hope if the school only swings certain ways.

Thanks again guys!

I went to the National Graduate Portfolio Day at CalArts this year. It was almost all private art schools, so you're not going to find a lot of universities or state schools there. Like Zaquon said, it's a great place to practice talking about your work. You can do 6-8 reviews in a day if you get there early. For me it was also a great motivator to get my work documented and my artist's statement written. I just printed the documentation of my work and bound it nicely in a binder. Go to an art store and look at their presentation materials — you'll get some ideas.