Maxwell MPA/MA-IR

DevDoc82

hey congrats!! did it give you any info about what kind of financial relief the assitantship gives?

I actually got an email this morning about an assistantship (!!). good luck to everyone else also, hope you hear good news soon!

I actually got an email this morning about an assistantship (!!). good luck to everyone else also, hope you hear good news soon!

Congrats on your funding. Sounds like a good package at a great program.

I hope the rest of us hear something soon!

hey amj6c, are you a MPA or a MAIR? also, if a MAIR, is the assistantship for the IR undergrad office?

thanks! and congrats!

I'm just MPA, and the email I got said they won't make placement decisions for assistantships until later when they know who will actually be attending and what their own needs are. I don't know anything about the MAIR program or if their awards or awards process are any different...

Ugh, makes me wonder if they've dolled out the assistantships.... I guess I'll try not to jump to conclusions until April 1.

I'm just MPA, and the email I got said they won't make placement decisions for assistantships until later when they know who will actually be attending and what their own needs are. I don't know anything about the MAIR program or if their awards or awards process are any different...

I've just received an email for Maxwell about a financial award I've received. Just like amj6c I've been awarded 24 tuition scholarship and a stipend via an assistantship. It covers roughly 65% of all expenses.

I am only an MPA applicant and I have not yet accepted the offer.

Congrats to both of you!

I'm holding out hope that they haven't gotten to the joint degree students...it sounds like everyone who has reported funding is an MPA-only student. Or maybe they're saving the best for last? :)

I've just received an email for Maxwell about a financial award I've received. Just like amj6c I've been awarded 24 tuition scholarship and a stipend via an assistantship. It covers roughly 65% of all expenses.

I am only an MPA applicant and I have not yet accepted the offer.

I'm holding out hope that they haven't gotten to the joint degree students...it sounds like everyone who has reported funding is an MPA-only student. Or maybe they're saving the best for last? :)

My hope as well. blingem, given your funding at CM and Cornell, I'd say you should have a good shot at getting money from Maxwell too. I'm not as optimistic about my own chances.

Congrats to everyone who's heard so far!

Congrats to both of you!

I really hope that you are right about this.

Did any of you dual degree folks apply for the Robertson Foundation Fellowship? I'm really hoping that competition is light because:

1. You have to be a dual degree student.

2. It's kind of hidden on a page on the MPA website (I couldn't find any links to it on the IR side.)

3. You had to write a separate (albeit very short) essay and have it in before Feb. 1st.

Otherwise it's going to be public service loan forgiveness for me...

Did any of you dual degree folks apply for the Robertson Foundation Fellowship? I'm really hoping that competition is light because:

1. You have to be a dual degree student.

2. It's kind of hidden on a page on the MPA website (I couldn't find any links to it on the IR side.)

3. You had to write a separate (albeit very short) essay and have it in before Feb. 1st.

Otherwise it's going to be public service loan forgiveness for me...

I did not apply for it, so no competition from my end. By the way, how many years of public service must you accumulate in order to receive debt forgiveness?

We must be on the same wavelength, i was just checking that out as well. I think its 10 years but doesnt need to be consecutive. You have to make 120 monthly payments.

I didn't apply for that fellowship either.

I did not apply for it, so no competition from my end. By the way, how many years of public service must you accumulate in order to receive debt forgiveness?

We must be on the same wavelength, i was just checking that out as well. I think its 10 years but doesnt need to be consecutive. You have to make 120 monthly payments.

Personally, I believe the fastest way to get out from under debt is to go into a consulting job after graduation. It is tough work and demands lots of hours, but the experience alone is worth it. The problem with debt is that it never sleeps and constantly crosses one's mind.

I didn't apply for the fellowship either! Yep, the website's mention of the fellowship is definitely not obvious to the untrained eye....competition sure will be light, especially if they only admit 20 dual degree students like their letter says! Three of your 19 competitors missed the boat! Good luck to everyone...I really hope we hear something soon. I wonder if they give any special consideration to the joint degree students, considering it costs almost double...

youd think the interest after at least 10 years has gota add up too. Ill get a job wherever I can haha. see who will take me

Personally, I believe the fastest way to get out from under debt is to go into a consulting job after graduation. It is tough work and demands lots of hours, but the experience alone is worth it. The problem with debt is that it never sleeps and constantly crosses one's mind.

I think federal consulting demands less hours than business consulting...especially if you work on-site at a federal office. I have a few gov't consultant friends (Booz Allen, LMI, Deloitte) and sometimes they work their asses off, depending on the client, the boss, and where you are in the project (I get a sense that Deloitte is worse than Booze in this regard because their federal and business practices are under one company, unlike BAH, but maybe someone can contradict that?) The end of the fiscal year is proposal writing season, and it seems to kick your ass if you're on a proposal team. But it doesn't seem to be anything like business consulting hours. They work as much as big law associates.

I think federal consulting demands less hours than business consulting...especially if you work on-site at a federal office. I have a few gov't consultant friends (Booz Allen, LMI, Deloitte) and sometimes they work their asses off, depending on the client, the boss, and where you are in the project (I get a sense that Deloitte is worse than Booze in this regard because their federal and business practices are under one company, unlike BAH, but maybe someone can contradict that?) The end of the fiscal year is proposal writing season, and it seems to kick your ass if you're on a proposal team. But it doesn't seem to be anything like business consulting hours. They work as much as big law associates.

Sorry to generalize on the topic. My remarks were toward someone who goes into business consulting, which is feasible out of the Maxwell School. I know Deloitte is a tough firm to work at, but I think it would be pretty rewarding. I hope that I could get a job at their firm in Damascus, Syria or anywhere else in the Middle East.

I didn't apply for the fellowship either! Yep, the website's mention of the fellowship is definitely not obvious to the untrained eye....competition sure will be light, especially if they only admit 20 dual degree students like their letter says! Three of your 19 competitors missed the boat! Good luck to everyone...I really hope we hear something soon. I wonder if they give any special consideration to the joint degree students, considering it costs almost double...

The website says it's also open to MPA/Econ and IR/Econ students, but I don't know how many of those there are. If I don't get any funding at Maxwell, I'm probably going to have to go with the MSFS program at Georgetown. If I'm going to take on a six figure debt load, I might as well go all out, right?

Sorry to generalize on the topic. My remarks were toward someone who goes into business consulting, which is feasible out of the Maxwell School. I know Deloitte is a tough firm to work at, but I think it would be pretty rewarding. I hope that I could get a job at their firm in Damascus, Syria or anywhere else in the Middle East.

Will an MPA/MA-IR make you particularly competitive for Deloitte & biz consulting firms? I would think an MBA (i.e. Johns Hopkins' "Global MBA") would be better for that. Deloitte sure does recruit at Maxwell, but I think they only recruit for their federal consulting practice. I'm interested in federal consulting internationally, and I think consulting contracts like the ones Bearing Point used to get (think managing a water treatment project, or something else that an authoritarian/corrupt government REALLY can't afford to screw up) are in line with what you're thinking. If you're interested in biz consulting for private companies then you might be swimming against a hard current of MBAs who are trained in exactly that. I think good federal strategy & organization consulting jobs are competitive enough, but who knows. Maybe a consultant wants to chime in.

The website says it's also open to MPA/Econ and IR/Econ students, but I don't know how many of those there are. If I don't get any funding at Maxwell, I'm probably going to have to go with the MSFS program at Georgetown. If I'm going to take on a six figure debt load, I might as well go all out, right?

I absolutely agree with that sentiment. If I don't get any funding, I may look into dropping the MA-IR and only going for the MPA...would make it a lot cheaper and still very relevant, and I get a great feeling from Maxwell. I didn't apply to the MSFS, my main concern was that I want to do public management with the MA-IR as a sidebar to help me do public management work abroad. Not sure that I could do that without an MPA/MPP, but I may be able to do it without an International Relations/International Affairs degree.

Edited by blingem