Maxwell MPA/MA-IR

DevDoc82

No new announcements today to be shaken out of the trees?

Will an MPA/MA-IR make you particularly competitive for Deloitte & biz consulting firms? I would think an MBA (i.e. Johns Hopkins' "Global MBA") would be better for that. Deloitte sure does recruit at Maxwell, but I think they only recruit for their federal consulting practice. I'm interested in federal consulting internationally, and I think consulting contracts like the ones Bearing Point used to get (think managing a water treatment project, or something else that an authoritarian/corrupt government REALLY can't afford to screw up) are in line with what you're thinking. If you're interested in biz consulting for private companies then you might be swimming against a hard current of MBAs who are trained in exactly that. I think good federal strategy & organization consulting jobs are competitive enough, but who knows. Maybe a consultant wants to chime in.

I absolutely agree with that sentiment. If I don't get any funding, I may look into dropping the MA-IR and only going for the MPA...would make it a lot cheaper and still very relevant, and I get a great feeling from Maxwell. I didn't apply to the MSFS, my main concern was that I want to do public management with the MA-IR as a sidebar to help me do public management work abroad. Not sure that I could do that without an MPA/MPP, but I may be able to do it without an International Relations/International Affairs degree.

Edited by blingem

Blingem,

You were right about the consulting info. I spoke with a buddy of mine who stated that federal consulting is the avenue I should take, but there are some possibilities to get my feet wet in business consulting with MBA types. I guess after I have about 5 to 7 years of experience I will apply for an MBA.

I know it sounds a bit stupid, but does anyone know if being accepted to the IR program at Syracuse makes it somehow possible to be considered for the MPA instead..?

Current year or in the future? :blink: It should not be possible due to different admissions procedures and committees e.t.c., right?

The reason I ask is the following:

If I end up enrolling at another School for IR (e.g. SAIS), "converting" the Syracuse IR offer of admission to an MPA one might open a door for a dual MA/MPA degree, which is ideal for iDev.

I guess they would need a new application for that? I don't dare to ask the Syracuse people about it, despite the fact that they have been among the kindest and most helpful with everything so far.

BTW, I confirm that April 1st is the date we are told to hold on to in order for both need and merit awards to be announced. Some might learn earlier.

Well i read that if you want to add the MPA to MAIR you can decide within the first semester of your MAIR. I'm into the Global Development concentration too and am thinking about taking up the MPA as well. But I don't know about switching, probably wouldn't be easy.

It blows we may hear about funding during the welcome weekend!

I know it sounds a bit stupid, but does anyone know if being accepted to the IR program at Syracuse makes it somehow possible to be considered for the MPA instead..?

Current year or in the future? :blink: It should not be possible due to different admissions procedures and committees e.t.c., right?

If I end up enrolling at another School for IR (e.g. SAIS), "converting" the Syracuse IR offer of admission to an MPA one might open a door for a dual MA/MPA degree, which is ideal for iDev.

I guess they would need a new application for that? I don't dare to ask the Syracuse people about it, despite the fact that they have been among the kindest and most helpful with everything so far.

BTW, I confirm that April 1st is the date we are told to hold on to in order for both need and merit awards to be announced. Some might learn earlier.

Edited by palabared

First - I have a tiny update from Maxwell because I got antsy and called them. Was told that the MPA funding opportunities have been released. Joint degree funding opportunities have not been released because "there was a hold up" but "they met about it today." Joint degree announcements should come out in the next few days, "and if not, then definitely before April 1".

Question to any MPA-only candidates. Have you received an outright "unable to offer you funding" letter? I think it would make sense for them to wait right until April 1 to see if funded candidates withdraw their offers...but I'd like to know what to anticipate.

I don't understand your question. You're saying you would get an IR degree at SAIS and an MPA at Syracuse? For starters, I don't think any of their credits transfer. Syracuse lets you transfer in 6 credits (but joint MPA/MA-IR cannot transfer, because the MPA counts 6 credits from the IR and vice versa) but then you're still looking at about 3 CALENDAR years for both degrees. Why put yourself through that? Is either school worth the added time and money when you already have the other degree? Might make more sense to see if SAIS does dual degrees with someone else in town in DC (or their own MPP, MBA, etc.). Conversely, I think you can add an MPA to your MA-IR admission once you enroll in Syracuse...but my advice is free and anonymous so treat it as such.

Did they mention anything about the MAIR only students?

First - I have a tiny update from Maxwell because I got antsy and called them. Was told that the MPA funding opportunities have been released. Joint degree funding opportunities have not been released because "there was a hold up" but "they met about it today." Joint degree announcements should come out in the next few days, "and if not, then definitely before April 1".

Question to any MPA-only candidates. Have you received an outright "unable to offer you funding" letter? I think it would make sense for them to wait right until April 1 to see if funded candidates withdraw their offers...but I'd like to know what to anticipate.

I don't understand your question. You're saying you would get an IR degree at SAIS and an MPA at Syracuse? For starters, I don't think any of their credits transfer. Syracuse lets you transfer in 6 credits (but joint MPA/MA-IR cannot transfer, because the MPA counts 6 credits from the IR and vice versa) but then you're still looking at about 3 CALENDAR years for both degrees. Why put yourself through that? Is either school worth the added time and money when you already have the other degree? Might make more sense to see if SAIS does dual degrees with someone else in town in DC (or their own MPP, MBA, etc.). Conversely, I think you can add an MPA to your MA-IR admission once you enroll in Syracuse...but my advice is free and anonymous so treat it as such.

Sorry! I didn't ask. She probably wouldn't know because I called the MPA office and they still have different phone numbers (although I think they're in the midst of combining offices literally right now)

Did they mention anything about the MAIR only students?

I got a nice email from a current MPA/MAIR student tonight. It was reassuring to me to hear from a current student about the quality of the program and to fire off a couple questions that I've been wondering about.

Now if we could just get that funding email...

I don't understand your question.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and sorry for the confusion.

I was wondering if once accepted at the IR at Syracuse, you could ask to "convert" and enroll for the MPA instead.

It is a little far fetched, but I am not sure it's not doable, especially since I have noted my interest in a dual MA IR - MPA degree.

Simply, the IR part will have to take place at another School (with which they collaborate on dual degrees).

Thanks for taking the time to answer and sorry for the confusion.

I was wondering if once accepted at the IR at Syracuse, you could ask to "convert" and enroll for the MPA instead.

It is a little far fetched, but I am not sure it's not doable, especially since I have noted my interest in a dual MA IR - MPA degree.

Simply, the IR part will have to take place at another School (with which they collaborate on dual degrees).

It doesn't look like the Maxwell website provides much info on how to do this, other than that it does appear that you need to be on the MPA side (or joint MPA/MAIR) and not just the IR side. I would just call them and ask what you can do. If they allow the MPA/MAIR students to do it, then you should be able to just add the MPA to your MAIR once you enroll (which I'm pretty sure they said was easy to do), and it seems like it should work out...? I don't think there's any danger in asking, especially if it's going to affect where you decide to enroll. If they've already admitted you, what's the worst that can happen?

Just got my funding information for the joint MPA/MA-IR.

$5,000/year for a total of $10,000 in assistance. It's not zero! But it also means I would be taking out a LOT of money in loans for the dual degree....makes me wonder if I could have received more funding if I'd just applied for one program or the other. This is going to be a tough decision.

It doesn't look like the Maxwell website provides much info on how to do this, other than that it does appear that you need to be on the MPA side (or joint MPA/MAIR) and not just the IR side. I would just call them and ask what you can do. If they allow the MPA/MAIR students to do it, then you should be able to just add the MPA to your MAIR once you enroll (which I'm pretty sure they said was easy to do), and it seems like it should work out...? I don't think there's any danger in asking, especially if it's going to affect where you decide to enroll. If they've already admitted you, what's the worst that can happen?

Congrats that still a nice little chunk!

Just got my funding information for the joint MPA/MA-IR.

$5,000/year for a total of $10,000 in assistance. It's not zero! But it also means I would be taking out a LOT of money in loans for the dual degree....makes me wonder if I could have received more funding if I'd just applied for one program or the other. This is going to be a tough decision.

makes me wonder if I could have received more funding if I'd just applied for one program or the other. This is going to be a tough decision.

I don't remember if I read it on its website or one of the MPA students I've been corresponding with told me that it is harder for dual degree applicants to receive assistantships (one of their most generous awards) because the heavy workload of the two degrees limits the time they have to complete those duties.

Anyways, congratulation on your award. Any money, even if small, certainly helps!

$5,000/year for a total of $10,000 in assistance. It's not zero!

Congrats! Something is definitely better than nothing.

I thought I just got the email, but it was actually a reminder for the webinar tomorrow. More waiting...

Thanks for the calm approach ;)

haha same here I saw the Nell header and was excited for a second...arg!

Congrats! Something is definitely better than nothing.

I thought I just got the email, but it was actually a reminder for the webinar tomorrow. More waiting...

Have any straight IR or public diplomacy people found out about funding yet? Im not sure how many PD people are on this thread but just thought I would ask.....also, have many of you guys applied for the FLAS? and if so what language? I applied for hindi

thanks!

Have any straight IR or public diplomacy people found out about funding yet? Im not sure how many PD people are on this thread but just thought I would ask.....also, have many of you guys applied for the FLAS? and if so what language? I applied for hindi

thanks!

I applied for the FLAS under Pashto, but I hope they will let me pursue Hindi. I speak Arabic, so acquiring Hindi will put me half way to Urdu. I guess I'll see what happens though.

Did anyone who applied to the joint MPA/IR got a full graduate assistanship?

Is there any reasonable indication that Maxwell, or any other school for that matter, redistribute financial aid after some of the initial awards have been declined? Just wondering...the game of waiting can make us come up with the most improbable scenarios, i guess :P

Any MAIR applicants hear of any funding yet? Also was anyone on their webinar yesterday, I didn't think the presentation was that helpfull, but the question session was good.

Yeah, I got some questions answered on the webinar. I did some emailing with Nell too. It sounds like the regular funding has all been announced for the dual degree students, but that they're deciding on that fellowship I applied for next week. If I don't get it, I think I'll be heading to Georgetown...