Maxwell MPA/MA-IR

DevDoc82

MA-IR student here, finally heard back on funding - it was a no. Still going to the welcome weekend in Syracuse on Friday and Saturday, but I'm also going to spend a week in DC to check out AU and GWU (AU offered me some loan support, nothing from GWU).

Oh well!

(AU offered me some loan support)

FYI, those 20.5K in Stafford loans are available to anyone, anywhere, whether you're going to Harvard or beauty school. They might just be the only place that's told you about them so far.

Not sure if this thread is soley about funding, anyways. I might be headed to Syracuse for MA-IR (no funding), but how easy is it to work on a dual degree program (either MAIR/Econ or MAIR/MPA)? Can I just register for those courses and fufill those requirements, or do I have to apply beforehand? If not, is here a limited amount of spaces / an rigorous application process? Thanks a lot.

- J

Not sure if this thread is soley about funding, anyways. I might be headed to Syracuse for MA-IR (no funding), but how easy is it to work on a dual degree program (either MAIR/Econ or MAIR/MPA)? Can I just register for those courses and fufill those requirements, or do I have to apply beforehand? If not, is here a limited amount of spaces / an rigorous application process? Thanks a lot.

- J

You have to apply and there are a limited amount of spaces.

how easy is it to work on a dual degree program (either MAIR/Econ or MAIR/MPA)? Can I just register for those courses and fufill those requirements, or do I have to apply beforehand?

I went to the admitted students event in DC a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure they said there that if you are in either the MAIR or MPA programs, you can add the other program on once you start and it's pretty easy to do. I would contact them with this question to double-check though. I don't know anything about a dual degree with econ.

Not sure if this thread is soley about funding, anyways. I might be headed to Syracuse for MA-IR (no funding), but how easy is it to work on a dual degree program (either MAIR/Econ or MAIR/MPA)? Can I just register for those courses and fufill those requirements, or do I have to apply beforehand?

I am admitted to the MPA and I asked specifically about the dual degree in Economics and it seems to be the same process amj6c described.

Going from the MPA to the second degree is going to be easier. Starting with the MAIR and adding the MPA, you'll have to try to fit in required MPA classes that are only offered in the summer. MAIR/Econ probably isn't much a problem.

They say there is a limit to the number of dual degree students they'll allow. What that limit is and whether it's ever reached, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the replies. I emailed the program, and they informed me that there's shouldn't be any big hindrances to adding the MPA afterwards. The MPA program starts in the summer though, so I guess I'd be behind a semester if I chose to do this (though they told me I can still do the dual in two years).

Otherwise, I've hit a stumbling block. I was pretty certain that I would be attending Syracuse over NYU next year --- but upon further consideration, I notice that NYU's faculty seems much, much stronger than Syracuse's in the IR field. Is this right? Also, I'd like to get a job in policy analysis or something of the sort after graduation; if I eventually feel like I want/need a PhD, wouldn't NYU's thesis requirement put me in a better position for that?

Ah, I don't know if it's jitters, but I have until April 10th to decide. Any advice? Thanks!

So I was named as an alternate for the FLAS, but the way they worded the email it seemed that funding wasn't secured (whole federal budget crisis and all). I am under the suspicion that they might not have given out any awards and are waiting on funding. Telling candidates they are alternates so they don't get their hopes up. Anyone else offered the FLAS and not just an alternate position?

So I was named as an alternate for the FLAS, but the way they worded the email it seemed that funding wasn't secured (whole federal budget crisis and all). I am under the suspicion that they might not have given out any awards and are waiting on funding. Telling candidates they are alternates so they don't get their hopes up. Anyone else offered the FLAS and not just an alternate position?

I received the same email and called the South Asian Center and spoke with one of the big whigs. Your assumption is correct and no one has received funding. Therefore, all have been labeled as alternates. The gentleman I spoke with, Anand Dwivedi, stated that they are still waiting on funding and at this time do not know the amount they will receive from the Department of Education. I guess that is what happens when the government lives beyond its means.

I received the same email and called the South Asian Center and spoke with one of the big whigs. Your assumption is correct and no one has received funding. Therefore, all have been labeled as alternates. The gentleman I spoke with, Anand Dwivedi, stated that they are still waiting on funding and at this time do not know the amount they will receive from the Department of Education. I guess that is what happens when the government lives beyond its means.

Thanks DevDoc, it actually makes me feel slightly better that no one actually got the award and we're all alternates. Makes me feel like I still have a chance hahah. Well I hope we both end up getting it!

• 1 year later...

Sort of jumping into this conversation, but I was named a FLAS alternate at UCLA. DevDoc, when you spoke to your rep, did he indicate that all universities were waiting for notification from the DEA, or only his program? The UCLA notification was worded such that it implied I would be offered a fellowship if others declined. When I asked the administrator the odds of being offered a FLAS, she simply said that there was "hope," but didn't give me any details.

^^^ Congrats!!! I will be taking my talents to the 'CUSE this fall. I'm really good-looking tho so you'd probably recognize me right away!!!

Hahah! Sure I will! When do you plan to move to SYR? I was thinking about late July, early August... :/

Yo, I'm only doing MAIR and since orientation week is August 20, I will be there the first week of August. I think the MPA/IR starts in July. Did u check out the school? I do have some worries about my social life in Syracuse cause it seems that there is not much to do around there.

Yo, I'm only doing MAIR and since orientation week is August 20, I will be there the first week of August. I think the MPA/IR starts in July. Did u check out the school? I do have some worries about my social life in Syracuse cause it seems that there is not much to do around there.

domnulsl, I also applied -and was admitted- to the MAIR, but a MPA 2002-03 student sold me the program very well hehe. So I might request to transfer (or add!) to the dual degree program !

• 9 months later...

bump on this thread, i recieved word today that I have been accepted into Maxwell for Fall '13. I am still active duty army so I haven't been able to make any campus visits for chat with any of the professors, are there any current students/alums out there who could fill me in on the general MA/IR program there and what focus the curicculum leans towards? thanks!

Congrats WakeMeUpB4UGoGo!

I heard from Maxwell yesterday and I have also been accepted into MAIR for Fall 2013. Do you have any idea by when we have to decide about taking up the offer?

Current students/alums, can you please talk about your experience? Specifically about the curriculum and internship opportunities.

My interest is foreign policy with a concentration on South Asia.

Any help will be appreciated!

Edited by av260987

Congrats WakeMeUpB4UGoGo!

I heard from Maxwell yesterday and I have also been accepted into MAIR for Fall 2013. Do you have any idea by when we have to decide about taking up the offer?

Current students/alums, can you please talk about your experience? Specifically about the curriculum and internship opportunities.

My interest is foreign policy with a concentration on South Asia.

Any help will be appreciated!

congrats to you as well good sir :P

i looked all around the links on the acceptance email and I didnt see a date on which we had to make a decision. the email also mentions that a current MAIR student would be in contact with us in a couple of weeks so I was just going to ask them when the decision deadline is.

for any international students who cant visit Syracuse, ill be visiting Maxwell on the admitted student tour on april 3rd and will report back here with pix and a synopsis of what my impression of the place was.