Has Anybody Heard from UMich Ann Arbor CS PhD program?

gradSchoolBound

I have not heard a single word from them since I submitted my application prior to Jan 6th deadline. Please post below if you have been accepted, interviewed, or had any other status updates. If you have been accepted or rejected, please share your stats (pub, recs, gpa, undergrad institution, gre, cs gre etc).

I have not heard a single word from them since I submitted my application prior to Jan 6th deadline. Please post below if you have been accepted, interviewed, or had any other status updates. If you have been accepted or rejected, please share your stats (pub, recs, gpa, undergrad institution, gre, cs gre etc).

I believe I saw a couple results in the results board recently, but I'm not sure if those were for EE or CS. Last year most of their admits reported here came out Feb 17-19 so I'm expecting that most news will come sometime next week.

I believe I saw a couple results in the results board recently, but I'm not sure if those were for EE or CS. Last year most of their admits reported here came out Feb 17-19 so I'm expecting that most news will come sometime next week.

Since I saw a few admits in the result section, I thought I would ask. But, what you mentioned may be the case this year as well.

Since I saw a few admits in the result section, I thought I would ask. But, what you mentioned may be the case this year as well.

There very well may have been a few admits sent out already, and it would be interesting to see if it was a POI reaching out to let the applicant know. Last year there was an admit reported in early Feb as well, but most seemed to come out later in Feb.

I've been admitted, I heard about it a week or so ago. I was phoned by the prof there, I expected it to be an interview and he started off by saying I'd been admitted. He said though that the admissions process wasn't finished yet, so it seems like they do admissions in waves.

Apparently I was one of their top applicants which surprised me - my grades are kind of borderline for even getting in to a top grad school (My GREs were good, but so were everyone's that I know - I didn't take any subject GREs, don't know if they're even offered in my country). My research interests matched a bunch of the profs there really well, though, and research experience seems to be all they really cared about.

I've been admitted, I heard about it a week or so ago. I was phoned by the prof there, I expected it to be an interview and he started off by saying I'd been admitted. He said though that the admissions process wasn't finished yet, so it seems like they do admissions in waves.

Apparently I was one of their top applicants which surprised me - my grades are kind of borderline for even getting in to a top grad school (My GREs were good, but so were everyone's that I know - I didn't take any subject GREs, don't know if they're even offered in my country). My research interests matched a bunch of the profs there really well, though, and research experience seems to be all they really cared about.

What is your area of interest?

Congrats! I'm thinking they're going to send out more admits next week, judging by last year's results.

Edited by newms

Hey idria, did they mention an open house? I know they had one in November for prospective applicants, I'm wondering if they'll have one for admitted students.

Hey idria, did they mention an open house? I know they had one in November for prospective applicants, I'm wondering if they'll have one for admitted students.

Yes, I think starting on March 17th. I'm not sure when it ends, they were kind of vague (I think the exact details will probably be worked out later, maybe).

Yes, I think starting on March 17th. I'm not sure when it ends, they were kind of vague (I think the exact details will probably be worked out later, maybe).

Thanks for the info! smile.gif

Congratulation! CPoI.

I also applied to University of Michigan.

Did you have an interview before this notification of acceptance?

Are you an international applicant?

No, I didn't have an interview at any point and also no, I'm an American. I submitted my application at the very beginning of November I believe and this is the first thing I have heard since. 790/540/5 on GRE. No pubs, but two pubs should be finalized in the next month and pretty solid research. Best of luck to you

I think I'm in - just waiting for the official offer. The POI I talked to said that he was confident that I'd get an offer and that I should look out for it later this week.

I think I'm in - just waiting for the official offer. The POI I talked to said that he was confident that I'd get an offer and that I should look out for it later this week.

congrats newms. so I guess your interview was more to notify you about your admission than to decide on your admission?

I am little worried since I have not heard anything from UMich.

congrats newms. so I guess your interview was more to notify you about your admission than to decide on your admission?

I am little worried since I have not heard anything from UMich.

Thanks. I'm not sure if the purpose was to notify me or if it was as a final verification just to make sure that our interests were aligned and that I was interested in attending. He discussed his research interests and I did mine as well and where they overlapped, and he gauged my interest in attending UMich. It was only at the end that he said that he was confident that I'd be getting an offer later this week.

In any case, he said that they were looking over applications now, so I'm guessing most offers should go out later this week or next. I also get the impression that they do admit people without interviews, since there seem to be a few admits on the results board from this year and last that don't mention interviews.

Thanks. I'm not sure if the purpose was to notify me or if it was as a final verification just to make sure that our interests were aligned and that I was interested in attending. He discussed his research interests and I did mine as well and where they overlapped, and he gauged my interest in attending UMich. It was only at the end that he said that he was confident that I'd be getting an offer later this week.

In any case, he said that they were looking over applications now, so I'm guessing most offers should go out later this week or next. I also get the impression that they do admit people without interviews, since there seem to be a few admits on the results board from this year and last that don't mention interviews.

congrats newms! given your status as the most active poster in the forum, im sure hundreds of people around the world were just waiting for you to get your first accept smile.gif

congrats newms! given your status as the most active poster in the forum, im sure hundreds of people around the world were just waiting for you to get your first accept smile.gif

Haha thanks. I think I'd have to go in hiding if I didn't get in anywhere after doling out advice on here.biggrin.gif

My sig. other applied to the Umich CS PhD program and hasn't heard back yet. Looks like around 10 admits have been submitted on the results page, this is not looking good! From previous years, seems that the likelihood grows much smaller after the first couple of days of admittances.

I wonder if there's a waitlist...

Edited by caezar86

My sig. other applied to the Umich CS PhD program and hasn't heard back yet. Looks like around 10 admits have been submitted on the results page, this is not looking good! From previous years, seems that the likelihood grows much smaller after the first couple of days of admittances.

I wonder if there's a waitlist...

I'm guessing that there may be a wait-list of some sort since last year there was an admit reported on the board here in March, but you're right - the odds don't look so good at this point :(