Psych Specific Plan Bs?

TheDude

What is everyone up to if things don't pan out or if you have to make a hard financial choice this year?????

I think I figured it out last night. For me: Master's as a Behavior Analyst. Good market for it up here. Grad degree path from my undergrad institution. My stats make me a rock star in the program. Don't have to shut down my small business. The salary outlook seems decent enough and the work hits on enough of the. "This stuff would make me happy" points to work for me. No debt.

Maybe just a lot of cognitive dissonance on my end?

Everyone else?

What is everyone up to if things don't pan out or if you have to make a hard financial choice this year?????

I think I figured it out last night. For me: Master's as a Behavior Analyst. Good market for it up here. Grad degree path from my undergrad institution. My stats make me a rock star in the program. Don't have to shut down my small business. The salary outlook seems decent enough and the work hits on enough of the. "This stuff would make me happy" points to work for me. No debt.

Maybe just a lot of cognitive dissonance on my end?

Everyone else?

Sounds like a good plan! You do the best you can with the hand that you've been dealt; I think it's great you've got a realistic option with which you could be satisfied should things not pan out as you hope they would.

I'd like to apply to the master's program in Group Processes and Intergroup Relations at the University of Kent in Canterbury, UK. I wrote about it on this site before, so here's what I said verbatim:

There is also a great one-year master's program in Group Processes and Intergroup Relations at the University of Kent in Canterbury, UK. Kent houses the research center that publishes the Group Processes and Intergroup Relations journal. Lots of great faculty there--Dominic Abrams, Richard Crisp, etc. I contacted the psych admissions office, and they said to apply by Easter at the latest, but earlier if you would like to be considered for assistantships. I am thinking that I should know by late April if any Ph.D. program offers me admission, and if none do, I will apply to the Kent master's program as a backup (of course, going abroad for a year comes at a great personal expense, but it is something, at least a "Plan Z"). Best of all, I believe the admissions rate for their master's program is higher than most U.S. Ph.D. programs.

Here's the link to info about the MSc program at Kent: http://www.kent.ac.u...ons-msc/outline

• 2 weeks later...

Plan A? Get a MS in I/O from a pretty well known school, work in the field for a couple of years, then return for a PhD. After getting the PhD, get a tenure track position at a large SEC school

Plan B? Go to a less prestigious school and get a MA in I/O, or even an MA in experimental psych. Teach at a community college for a couple of years, then go back and work on a PhD.

Plan C? Work at McDonalds

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this a lot last night

I want to go into Clinical (won't be applying for another 2-3 years as I am in second year) but it's obviously so competitive (and I have personally had some academic struggles) that I think it would be prudent to have some plan b(s)

Here's what I came up with (in no particular order):

-A grad degree in CBT (there are programs in the UK)

-Applying to grad school in another area of psych

-Doing a premed certificate and applying to med school (with the intention of going into psychiatry)

-Mental health activism

-Mental health lobbying