Low GPA but High Potential

adenning09

This is my second year applying to graduate schools in Physical Anthropology. My GPA within my major is a 3.0, I have 2 years field experience (including supervisory), while I haven't published anything, I do have a lot of research complete (with write-up) and I am even able to return to my field school to conduct my own research again (which I assume looks great for a potential masters thesis).

My problem: I have a low overall GPA (2.3) and low-ish GRE scores (1050). The GRE I can obviously retake.

During my undergrad, I suffered heavily from depression (though I was not seeing a therapist or anyone for it, which is typical of depression). This heavily impacted my work outside of Anthropology (pretty much the only thing I was able to focus on).

Additionally, my professor capable of giving the strongest recommendation for my academic and professional work was unable to write me a recommendation letter (due to legal reasons involving my college screwing her over with her contract and her not being able to comment on my work under her there).

How do I go about explaining these issues (the depression has been dealt with, and no longer effects my motivation for coursework) to a graduate committee without sounding like a sob-story ploy to get myself in?

While in a different discipline and circumstances, I had a similar issue in terms of health affecting coursework initially. I overcame it by stating it simply and succinctly in the proper part of the application rather than developing a large narrative about it or letting it seep into other parts of my application. The "sob story" detriment only comes into play if you make it one, I think. Stating it and moving on shows you recognize it, you've addressed it, and it won't affect your graduate work.

Having said that, a 2.3 is rough (at least for history phd's, where I have most of my experience). You may want to think about finding a good masters program or something similar to demonstrate you've 1) overcome your previous health issue, and 2) are capable of high level coursework. This will also help you secure better recommendations and maybe a publication or two.

Good luck, I know how tough it can be to go through the process having to explain yourself.

Edit: Also, cast a wide net. The application fees may be rough, but it only takes one person or program to believe in you.

Edited by Rustin

I would definitely suggest retaking the GRE. In a similar thread elsewhere, someone said that your goal in this situation should be to make a low GPA the only bump in your application. Right now, even if you do an excellent job of addressing your GPA situation, your lowish GRE scores might make an admissions committee question whether your GPA is really an isolated incident, especially if you took the GRE more recently (i.e. after you stabilized your depression). It sounds like you plan to retake it anyway, so this is just a friendly nudge smile.gif

That said, I think your field experience will count a great deal towards proving your capability and commitment. I would make that the major focus of your application, and I second Rustin's advice on acknowledging your health issues honestly and concisely in the "is there anything else not reflected in other parts of your application" field.

The best way to show that your past issues no longer affect your coursework (I have some first-hand experience with this as well) is to prove it. Take classes as a non-degree student and do well.

Not that you shouldn't give it a try even before you've done so - you might be able to get in in spite of your GPA based on your other credentials! - but you should have a Plan B, preferably a field-related one, as you do so. For instance, you could work as your field's equivalent of a lab tech, if it has one, for a year, while taking a few non-degree classes. This might also help you get good recommendations.

I had a similar problem. I handled it by working in the field for 4 years after undergrad, made sure my letters of recommendation were from people who could speak to my abilities, took a non-degree graduate course, and spoke about my poor GPA in my applications mentioning the things I have done to set it right.

I think you should try to approach the situation very "matter of fact"-ly when you try to explain it. Just write (or speak) clearly about what happened. You aren't making excuses you are just stating what happened and that it doesn't correctly portray your abilities in the field. I would also check the requirements for the programs you are trying to apply to. Some have strict GPA requirements and will not budge from them, others have a cutoff but will accept under the cutoff in some circumstances, others do not have a cutoff.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you will find and get into a great program.