Any news on UVA?

Was it a form e-mail? Or was it written to you personally?

I just received an email saying that I was put on the waitlist. Someone said the top waitlisters were invited to the visiting weekend so maybe I´m farther down on the list? The email said there are 12 funded spots this year. This is my top choice so hopefully some of the lucky admitted ones choose elsewhere!

I'm sorry, but can I just complain for a second? Here goes... GOD DAMMIT. I can't believe I got into every MA program, but not a single Phd. Sorry if this sounds insensitive to others who might not be so lucky as me, I'm certainly blessed to have received any acceptances at all and I'm very happy about it. But I know that I'm serious about a phd and UVA was my dream school. I want to study colonial American lit and what better place to do it in an actual place with colonial history. I'm sorry, I'm just so frustrated. If you were accepted to UVA, savor it, you are so lucky.

Woolfie, I sympathize. I'm in pretty much in your same position. Master's offers for an assortment of programs from Brown, Rice, probably Chicago, and City University of New York. I applied to the Brown Master's and Rice Master's directly--those were separate from Ph.D's. But Chicago and CUNY were referrals from Ph.D's. I was a hair away from acceptance at CUNY. The Master's is unfunded though, so it is not under my consideration. I, too, am happy about the Master's programs I was accepted to. Brown has been my dream school since I was 16, and I am very happy about the acceptance. Rice's and Brown's offers are well-funded. Nevertheless, I do plan to get into a Ph.D. in the very near future, like you. I, like you, am very serious about a Ph.D, and I do not doubt my abilities, despite not having been accepted (though I still have the unlikely Virginia to hear from). I'm fresh out of my Bachelor's, though. After hearing what the Director of Admissions at CUNY had to say (I got application feedback), it seems that everything about my application there was positively received, except for the fact that I did not mention the professors I wanted to work with (and the fact, less important than that, that my GRE writing score was a 4.5--probably due to a rating of being off-topic). What I have learned from this process: (1) I had a respectable application with a writing sample, recommendations, personal statement (minus the missing paragraph about professors), good GRE quantitative and verbal scores, and a near-perfect GPA from a good University as my primary assets; (2) I have not had enough time to network and learn about professors in the various departments, although I did quite a lot of research on each of the schools I applied to; (3) It is in a small way, at least, to one's advantage to have time between undergrad and the Ph.D. for reason number two. All of this could be wrong, but it is what I am going to conclude for myself.

I'm sorry, but can I just complain for a second? Here goes... GOD DAMMIT. I can't believe I got into every MA program, but not a single Phd. Sorry if this sounds insensitive to others who might not be so lucky as me, I'm certainly blessed to have received any acceptances at all and I'm very happy about it. But I know that I'm serious about a phd and UVA was my dream school. I want to study colonial American lit and what better place to do it in an actual place with colonial history. I'm sorry, I'm just so frustrated. If you were accepted to UVA, savor it, you are so lucky.

Edited by cicada123

I emailed the DGS and he replied that they'll be done making decisions by the end of this week or beginning of next, and then send out notices. That pretty much means I didn't make it into the wait-list, right? :mellow:

Was somebody really just accepted via the website--after not hearing anything at all? Or were you on the wait list and just found out you're in? (Seems an odd way for UVa to go about it!) Or perhaps the website was just confirmation of an acceptance you'd already known about...? If you're out there, and can enlighten me (and others who are anxiously waiting on the wait list), please do, and many thanks in advance!

I was curious about this as well. I've checked the application website and see nothing new, just that my app was submitted and received. For those who have been accepted, were you given a link to a decision letter via the website?

I am sorry you guys, but I know the situation pretty much for certain. I was accepted to the English MA and know that all acceptances and waitlist decisions were finalized as of the end of last week, acceptances as of a while ago. It may be that not all have been informed by now that they made the waitlist, but I kind of doubt it.

I was curious about this as well. I've checked the application website and see nothing new, just that my app was submitted and received. For those who have been accepted, were you given a link to a decision letter via the website?

I am sorry you guys, but I know the situation pretty much for certain. I was accepted to the English MA and know that all acceptances and waitlist decisions were finalized as of the end of last week, acceptances as of a while ago. It may be that not all have been informed by now that they made the waitlist, but I kind of doubt it.

Thanks for the reply, cicada, but I was asking whether the admission posting (via website) on the results page was from somebody who had gotten in off the wait list, or from somebody who had already known for a while that they had been admitted and had just noticed that their status had finally updated. I am aware that decisions have been made, but for people who are already on the PhD wait list, it's confusing to see a post about someone being accepted to the PhD program from the website--I was just trying to get more information about that specific post on the results page.

Thanks for the reply, cicada, but I was asking whether the admission posting (via website) on the results page was from somebody who had gotten in off the wait list, or from somebody who had already known for a while that they had been admitted and had just noticed that their status had finally updated. I am aware that decisions have been made, but for people who are already on the PhD wait list, it's confusing to see a post about someone being accepted to the PhD program from the website--I was just trying to get more information about that specific post on the results page.

I was wondering the same thing. I've been waitlisted, so was wondering if the accept came from the waitlist, or if it was someone who had already been accepted, and just hadn't noticed (which, I won't lie, is a possibility that just baffles me). I know from Notre Dame (which has the same app system) that there was a link at the bottom of the application giving me the decision (which was, in that case, a negative one). I assumed that if we were accepted off the waitlist, we'd hear from Prof. Braden, but that might not be the case.

Ah, I see. I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize you were on it. Congratulations! I bet they were on the top and got off, which is good news for everyone else on the list. I really shouldnt be on this forum anymore since I have all my results now. I just kind of what to know who is doing the terminal MA there next year, or just who was admitted.

quote name='the giaour' timestamp='1300811331' post='229113']

I highly suspect that admission via the website as false. I´ve only seen UVA contact admits through phone and email.

I´m another waitlister at UVA. I suspect there is probably 10 of us or so? Who knows what will happen this year, but I´ve heard in recent years there has been a lot of movement on the list. I´ll be headed there if I end up getting the offer. Good luck to the other waitlisters!

I highly suspect that admission via the website as false. I´ve only seen UVA contact admits through phone and email.

Yeah you're absolutely right, that admission was me. Sorry to cause a mini panic! I'm not really a member here, but I'd visited on several occasions to see what to expect on my applications. I'd given up, because I've already been rejected everywhere I applied except UVa and Penn, and (as you all know) they've notified everyone who has a chance. So imagine my surprise when last night, I got an email that results were in, and I was accepted! I posted on the results forum to let everyone else know that there's still hope. And I told my family and my professors.

Then Dr. Braden emailed me today, saying there was a glitch and I'm not in after all.

I know these things happen, but was it just me who got this false acceptance? I'm really crushed, UVa was one of my top two choices.

Yeah you're absolutely right, that admission was me. Sorry to cause a mini panic! I'm not really a member here, but I'd visited on several occasions to see what to expect on my applications. I'd given up, because I've already been rejected everywhere I applied except UVa and Penn, and (as you all know) they've notified everyone who has a chance. So imagine my surprise when last night, I got an email that results were in, and I was accepted! I posted on the results forum to let everyone else know that there's still hope. And I told my family and my professors.

Then Dr. Braden emailed me today, saying there was a glitch and I'm not in after all.

I know these things happen, but was it just me who got this false acceptance? I'm really crushed, UVa was one of my top two choices.

Leto, I'm so very sorry! That is a recurring nightmare of mine--to think I'm in somewhere only to find out it's not true. Thanks for going to all the trouble to sign up and let us know what happened--that was very considerate of you!

Ugh, that's awful. They should refund your application fee for such a horrible thing. Or at least try and CALL you instead of just emailing saying PSYCH MY BAD

Dear Leto, I am also sorry. I can imagine how terrible that would feel.

Leto, I'm so very sorry! That is a recurring nightmare of mine--to think I'm in somewhere only to find out it's not true. Thanks for going to all the trouble to sign up and let us know what happened--that was very considerate of you!

Leto, what a horrible experience. I'm so sorry. You must have been so excited, and then so very crushed. I should hope they offered a decent apology, at the very least.

As for me - I received my rejection from UVa two days ago, and I loved the fact that the letter was addressed just "Dear" -

"Dear,

The Graduate school...." blahblahblah. You KNEW there was a rejection on that website link, when they couldn't even be bothered to add your name in! lol

Whatever, I am well-placed and very excited to be beginning my doctoral studies in the fall. :)

Leto, what a horrible experience. I'm so sorry. You must have been so excited, and then so very crushed. I should hope they offered a decent apology, at the very least.

As for me - I received my rejection from UVa two days ago, and I loved the fact that the letter was addressed just "Dear" -

"Dear,

The Graduate school...." blahblahblah. You KNEW there was a rejection on that website link, when they couldn't even be bothered to add your name in! lol

Whatever, I am well-placed and very excited to be beginning my doctoral studies in the fall. :)

Haha, don't feel too bad, my acceptance to the MA program came with the same "Dear ," email. Makes me wonder about the esteem in which they hold their MA students...

Oh and Leto, I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope many good things are in your near future!

Edited by cyborgmanifesto

Leto, I, too, am so sorry. That is totally inexcusable. What is the deal with UVA? It seems like they run a pretty sketchy operation over there. I wish you all the best of luck on other schools.

From this forum, it looks like there are about 4 wait-listers, so who knows what will happen. The results board from last year suggests that people have been accepted as late as April 13th and 15th-- yikes! For anyone else out there who is being driven somewhat crazy over this, I feel your pain and wish you solace.

Thanks for your support everyone! It was really rough when I first found out, but things are looking up now. I got an MA offer from my undergrad program, so at least I have options. (I think my adviser felt sorry for me...)