Any news on UVA?

So according to the results board, UVA seems to have notified some folks by this time last year, but this year -- nothing. Anyone have any inside scoop on when they might start notifying? Thanks.

Edited by fall-11

January 2nd -- just enough time for me to get that second writing sample revised...

Hm, same for the MA, on both counts. Hah, I had fun trying to fit two 15-page papers into that page limit, but it ended up looking fine somehow.

I wonder if the simultaneous deadlines means they'll release decisions at the same time.

Well, this is probably way too creeper-y, but last year they started informing acceptances on 2/12, which was the 2nd Friday of Feb. I assume that the date is contingent upon a final faculty meeting, but they don't list this info on their dept. calendar where all the riff-raff can see it (hmpf! do they think we're going to stalk them or something? oh, wait . . .). If they're on a similar timeline, though, I imagine notices will probably go out next week, most likely Monday (if they met yesterday, but went to happy hour instead of calling applicants), or Friday if they still have to chat a bit. Or they could be way behind because of all the snow days Virginia has had over the last 2 weeks ( I have friends in the public school system in VA and they are seriously going to be in school until July at this rate).

I'm finishing my MA at UVa this spring, and as far as I know the adcom isn't finished meeting. All three of my recommenders are on the adcom, so I feel like I kind of have a feel for what they're up to, but I could be wrong. And just for help in timing, I got my MA acceptance on March 17. Most of the PhDs I know got in off the waitlist, so they didn't actually hear until very close to (or on) April 15.

Best of luck to you all! It's really a fantastic program with AMAZING faculty.

Edited by the giaour

I'm finishing my MA at UVa this spring, and as far as I know the adcom isn't finished meeting. All three of my recommenders are on the adcom, so I feel like I kind of have a feel for what they're up to, but I could be wrong. And just for help in timing, I got my MA acceptance on March 17. Most of the PhDs I know got in off the waitlist, so they didn't actually hear until very close to (or on) April 15.

Best of luck to you all! It's really a fantastic program with AMAZING faculty.

Thanks for the info, giaour!

I'm another current UVa MA, and our graduate coordinator just sent out an email saying two prospective students will be visiting our department social hour this Thursday. Just wanted to let everyone know..

But there should be another (final?) committee meeting on Friday. Don't give up yet. Everyone I know here got off the waitlist.. there's hope.

I had a hard time editing two papers down to UVA's page limit; I haven't written a 12-15 page paper in ages! So, I just said "screw it" and sent them two 20+ page papers. It was one of the last apps I submitted, and I was tired of working on apps.

Obviously, I'm expecting a rejection. tongue.gif

I'm another current UVa MA, and our graduate coordinator just sent out an email saying two prospective students will be visiting our department social hour this Thursday. Just wanted to let everyone know..

But there should be another (final?) committee meeting on Friday. Don't give up yet. Everyone I know here got off the waitlist.. there's hope.

Do you know whether they're perspective PhD students or MA students? I wouldn't think that they would be making MA decisions any time soon...

Do you know whether they're perspective PhD students or MA students? I wouldn't think that they would be making MA decisions any time soon...

They're doctoral candidates. They're here because they're interviewing for the Jefferson fellowship. But like byronlover said, the adcom still has at *least* one more meeting to go. The email described them as "two of the first doctoral candidates accepted in the admissions process"--whatever that means.

They're doctoral candidates. They're here because they're interviewing for the Jefferson fellowship. But like byronlover said, the adcom still has at *least* one more meeting to go. The email described them as "two of the first doctoral candidates accepted in the admissions process"--whatever that means.

I think it just means these candidates are their first two choices and that more will be accepted soon. No one here should lose hope! We don't even know if the two favorites will accept the offer.

So will we know tomorrow if the "last" committee meeting is tomorrow??

I think it just means these candidates are their first two choices and that more will be accepted soon. No one here should lose hope! We don't even know if the two favorites will accept the offer.

Edited by cicada123

I wonder when news on this will be out. Going nuts.... >_< [gone?]

I'm still smarting from my two official rejections and one unofficial one -- at this point I just want all the news already, rejection or not >_< Then at least it'd all be over...

All I meant was that it's unclear what "two of the first doctoral candidates accepted in the admissions process" meant, because it left room to infer that there had been other acceptances as well. In fact, I do know now that there have been offers made to more than just the two Jefferson Fellow interviewees. So...

All I meant was that it's unclear what "two of the first doctoral candidates accepted in the admissions process" meant, because it left room to infer that there had been other acceptances as well. In fact, I do know now that there have been offers made to more than just the two Jefferson Fellow interviewees. So...

well if they reject us I do hope they're going to be quick about it. No point prolonging the agony...

It seems peculiar that there isn't more action on the boards about UVA. It seems that at least 4 people have been accepted thus far (two on our results board plus the two Jefferson Fellowship interviewees?). I'm really tempted to call, but I hate to be *that* student!

Maybe they are the same two applicants?

It seems peculiar that there isn't more action on the boards about UVA. It seems that at least 4 people have been accepted thus far (two on our results board plus the two Jefferson Fellowship interviewees?). I'm really tempted to call, but I hate to be *that* student!

Am I blind or crazy? I checked the results board and there's nothing there for UVA English since last April...?

It shows up if you search for "University of Virginia" rather than "UVA". It doesn't mention whether he/she is a fellowship nominee, but I'm guessing that person is one of the two Jefferson candidates that giaour mentioned were invited to visit. I think the regular admits (non-fellowship) haven't been notified yet. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I just checked my application and saw the "rejected" note (there was a link that said, "Your decision will be available 3/2," but the link was active). Back to grading papers, now with alcohol.

EDIT: ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod. I was wrong! I applied last year and clicked the link for the old application. This process is crumbling my brain. Still hitting the bottle, though.

Edited by lechatgris