Funding for MS thesis in Aerospace

BG7

So I've been admitted to UCLA for the unfunded MS program for fall 2010 (last fall), but since it was the only school I applied to for fall '10, I decided not to accept the offer and instead wait to apply to programs for fall'11. So far, I've applied to Georgia Tech and Texas-Austin for fall '11. Since my BS degrres are in physics and applied math, I figured that I had no chance for PhD programs, so I just applied to MS programs. I want to do the thesis option and will probably continue for the PhD.

How likely are MS students to get a TA ship or RA ship in Aerospace Engineering programs? Since I'm from CA, the in-state tuition is much cheaper than the out-of-state tuition at GaTech and UT-Austin. If I get accepted into either one, but am unlikely to get funding, would I just be better off going to UCLA? Or perhaps taking classes at UCI (I live close to UCI) as a non-degree student?

Even though you applied for MS, i think you should have indicated your interest to pursue PhD. I know some people get funding for MS studies but usually preference is given to PhD students. However, what i know from other people is that usually MS students do get (/can find) funding after one year if they go for thesis. It is a hard call to say if you should attend GaTech or UT Austin without funding or UCLA. There would be a significant cost difference but at the same time both UT Austin and GA Tech are ranked very high for Aerospace.

I cannot emphasize this enough...

Go to the school and meet with professors that you share interests with as soon as possible, on your own dime. You will almost -never- be given funding as a condition of admission for an M.S. degree. You have to be proactive. This is how I got funding for my M.S. degree. A lot of professors would love to fund you, or get you the inside track for a TA position if you impress them when you meet. Emphasize at your meeting that you have a Ph.D. in mind, but didn't feel like you could be admitted with your background.

Good luck!

Even though you applied for MS, i think you should have indicated your interest to pursue PhD. I know some people get funding for MS studies but usually preference is given to PhD students. However, what i know from other people is that usually MS students do get (/can find) funding after one year if they go for thesis. It is a hard call to say if you should attend GaTech or UT Austin without funding or UCLA. There would be a significant cost difference but at the same time both UT Austin and GA Tech are ranked very high for Aerospace.

I did mention my interest for the phD. I just thought it would be wiser to apply as an MS student rather than phD since I have no engineering background.

I cannot emphasize this enough...

Go to the school and meet with professors that you share interests with as soon as possible, on your own dime. You will almost -never- be given funding as a condition of admission for an M.S. degree. You have to be proactive. This is how I got funding for my M.S. degree. A lot of professors would love to fund you, or get you the inside track for a TA position if you impress them when you meet. Emphasize at your meeting that you have a Ph.D. in mind, but didn't feel like you could be admitted with your background.

Good luck!

For UCLA, I tried contacting the professors I wanted to work with countless times. They always just told me that they dont currently have funding and don't know when to expect to get it.

BTW, tuiton is about twice as much at GaTech and UT-Austin vs UCLA for me. But for personal preference, I would love to go to a different school than stay at ucla.

By the way, how much of my undergrad really matters for getting funding if I have almost no prior engineering background? Though I had a 3.8 phys/math gpa and worked on 2 different research projects, would I have been any worse off than if I had a 3.2 gpa with no research projects and tried to get funding in Aerospace Eng? I only took 2 engineering courses: got an A in heat transfer but B- in intro fluid mechanics

Edited by BG7

• 1 month later...

Hey BG7,

Hope things worked out well for you in terms of funding. My experience has that MS students do not easily get funding (unless they apply to direct PhD). Some of the programs I was applying to strongly hinted that PhD students are the priority for their funding. As was1984 indicated, it could be possible to make an impression on the professors, and perhaps get funding for the second year....