SMFA Interview - March 5th

Artist1

I have an interview at SMFA on March 5th. MFA (Painting).

It says in the email that you can select your preferred faculty for the interview. I was wondering if anyone that has attended an interview or the school could provide some info about the faculty members and/or how they conducted the interview?

I'm not familiar with the faculty and would like a little more info than what's listed online before making a selection.

Also, anyone interview before - what q's did they ask? I've heard it's pretty laid back compared to some other schools with interviews

Maybe I'll see a few of you there in March! Now, for a hotel reservation!

(And have to arrange to ship my artwork)

I have an interview at SMFA on March 5th. MFA (Painting).

It says in the email that you can select your preferred faculty for the interview. I was wondering if anyone that has attended an interview or the school could provide some info about the faculty members and/or how they conducted the interview?

I'm not familiar with the faculty and would like a little more info than what's listed online before making a selection.

Also, anyone interview before - what q's did they ask? I've heard it's pretty laid back compared to some other schools with interviews

Maybe I'll see a few of you there in March! Now, for a hotel reservation!

(And have to arrange to ship my artwork)

Also have an interview on March 5th. I found this blog with some helpful tips from a current student:

http://mfyay.blogspot.com/2009/03/interview-notes-from-professor.html

http://mfyay.blogspo...back-again.html

Also have an interview on March 5th. I found this blog with some helpful tips from a current student:

http://mfyay.blogspot.com/2009/03/interview-notes-from-professor.html

http://mfyay.blogspo...back-again.html

I have an interview at the Museum School as well... my background's also in printmaking. Thank you so much for posting these... so helpful!

I'd love more insight on the process too, but I've had two portfolio reviews with them already so I've got a good sense for them. One was with the Grad Coordinator and the other was with a current grad student. They were both really upbeat and engaged and didn't ask tricky questions. It was a lot of "oh, well have you thought of this?" and then we'd get to talk out the idea. It really was like talking to a supportive friend. They asked a lot about background and what led to my current work, and where it's going. I started bringing in some theoretical framework, and that just seemed like the icing on the cake for them. All in all they're pretty chill and seriously smart.

The thing I'm fixating on is when the letter said something to the effect of "Even though your interview will only be an hour"...An hour? Eek!

I ended up googling facutly and picked out 3 who work in or around my discipline (photo).

Anyway. I'll definatly see you on the 5th. If anyone's down for a pre/post game drink, PM me!

There's a huge list of faculty on the website. Mixed in continuing education, visiting faculty, etc. And this is for 2010-2011. Is there a shorter list of faculty (painting/drawing) for MFA to chose from somewhere?

There's a huge list of faculty on the website. Mixed in continuing education, visiting faculty, etc. And this is for 2010-2011. Is there a shorter list of faculty (painting/drawing) for MFA to chose from somewhere?

Yes, you should choose from one of the faculty advisers for next year. The list of their names can be found at the bottom of the page:

http://www.smfa.edu/mfa

Thanks. It says 2010-2011 but assuming probably same faculty advisors since they have been at the school for years.

Looking at:

Erica Daborn

Gerry Bergstein

David Davison or Mark Cooper

Only other for painting is Magdelena Campos-Pons.

I found a page on FB for SMFA 2011 that answers some questions. One of the current students posted that Gerry Bergstein is a "brilliant painter with a mind for sculpture (sculpts with paint)" and is "extremely open". David Davidson - "call something art and he will love it". I found their websites online with work examples and resumes.

Overall I've heard the interviews are laid-back but want to select the right faculty to be receptive to my work.....and don't want to be brutally drilled about my art history knowledge, etc like I've heard happens at Yale/Columbia interviews. I can throw out some names and a little bit about influences, but I don't have a direct influence on my work.....so was thinking Gerry Bergstein might drill me considering the content of his work..

Probably shouldn't worry about it, but it's getting close to March 5th and the anxiety is sitting in. Haven't heard back from Columbia or Syracuse yet.

Yes, you should choose from one of the faculty advisers for next year. The list of their names can be found at the bottom of the page:

http://www.smfa.edu/mfa

Thanks. It says 2010-2011 but assuming probably same faculty advisors since they have been at the school for years.

Probably shouldn't worry about it, but it's getting close to March 5th and the anxiety is sitting in. Haven't heard back from Columbia or Syracuse yet.

I'm really excited about it. I chose three advisers whose work seemed most closely related to the direction I'd like to go with my own work. I'm really looking forward to chatting with them.

• 1 month later...

I am not attending this school, just interested, do they interview every student that applies or why do they interview you? I applied to this school and submitted on March 1st, although i have yet to hear from them and i called and they said my portfolio is in "review". Congrats on all of your interviews! Is it only for your masters? Im applying for a BFA.

Edited by Sic6

I applied for MFA. They've already selected all MFA Candidates for this year. I'm assuming the same with BFA as well. You aren't required to do an interview in person for MFA. You can do Skype or Phone. I think they said about 90 people came in person for the interviews. I think it's a good idea to do this.

Not sure with BFA though.

I am not attending this school, just interested, do they interview every student that applies or why do they interview you? I applied to this school and submitted on March 1st, although i have yet to hear from them and i called and they said my portfolio is in "review". Congrats on all of your interviews! Is it only for your masters? Im applying for a BFA.