Background Check before Acceptance?

morningcrafter

I received the following email today from a school that has not accepted nor rejected me yet:

Dear GTA Applicant,

As we move along in the process of selecting candidates who have applied for an English Department Graduate Teaching Assistantship, we want to remind you that a condition of employment at our institution is a background check. The English Department has submitted your name and e-mail address to Name, Name. Very soon you will receive an e-mail from her asking that you go to a specific website to complete and submit a set of required information forms. Please watch for an e-mail and complete the forms promptly. While we have not yet identified any finalists in the competition for graduate teaching assistantships, if you were to be awarded one a letter offering such could not be mailed until your background check has cleared.

Do you think this means that I've been at the very least accepted to the program? I doubt they would send this email to every applicant. Thoughts?

This sounds very similar to an employment background check. You've probably made the short list for TA. My experience with employment background checks is that it is reserved for the top candidate, but sometimes it's run on the 2nd and/or 3rd choice too. They wouldn't invest that kind of money on every applicant. Odds appear to be in your favor :D. Good luck!!

I would read this as a neutral e-mail. From what I understand (depending on the University) your application for a TA position isn't always completed in direct parallel with your application to the school. If you don't pass the background check, I would believe there is a high chance you won't be offered a place. On the other hand, passing the background check will put you that much closer to being admitted!

I agree that it sounds like an employee background check. My guess is that they will have all the candidates submit their names to make sure that whomever they offer the TA spot to has a clean record (before they offer it). It seems like a lot of work to have every single candidate submit this info, so I would think you are on a narrowed down list of people.

That narrowed down list might be anything, but at least you on (possibly) on a narrowed down list. I wouldn't read tooo much into it, but to me it sounds pormising.

Thank you for your opinions!

I'm sort of torn between ScottieLass and Fanciful Unicorn's views. Is it an email they send all applicants for the GTA position/is it even connected to acceptance to the program? Or is it a sign that I'm in the uppermost tier of applicants?

I'm hoping for the latter, certainly!

I wouldn't read too much into it because you'll drive yourself crazy if you do. The only thing you can know for certain from the content of this letter is that you can't be offered a GTA position unless you submit to the background check. This appears to be an HR letter, so I wouldn't try analyze the department's decision by it.

Edited by Scottielass