Applying to Swedish Universities

firetom88

I have applied to some American schools but also two Swedish Universities (Stockholm and Uppsala). In my undergrad I did a semester at Stockholm and fell in love. I was just wondering if anyone (as an American) could give me an idea of acceptance/rejection and also perhaps their own experience. I applied for an English masters program and so I'm hoping since it's my native language they'll let me in. Anyone else done this sort of thing before?

I have applied to some American schools but also two Swedish Universities (Stockholm and Uppsala). In my undergrad I did a semester at Stockholm and fell in love. I was just wondering if anyone (as an American) could give me an idea of acceptance/rejection and also perhaps their own experience. I applied for an English masters program and so I'm hoping since it's my native language they'll let me in. Anyone else done this sort of thing before?

Hej! Go for it.

I did a masters at Linköping a few years ago, and now I'm back in a different part of the country at a folkhögskola. In my case, the program didn't seem all that rigorous, but if you put a lot into it, you get a lot back out.

One thing to watch out for: I believe that Swedish universities are introducing tuition starting in Fall 2011. (I've read that applications are waaaaay down as a result, so maybe competition isn't as high... but also, you'll likely have fewer awesome classmates from less developed countries.)

Yes, as the organ girl wrote. There will be a fee introduced from fall 2011 for all non-EU citizens (some exceptions for Norweigians and Swiss). More information about it can be found at:

https://www.studera.nu/studera/4673.html

According to VHS (the govermental body that organizes applications) the number of foreign applicants fell 79% this year (http://www.studentliv.se/nyhet/dramatisk-minskning-av-utl%C3%A4ndska-studenter-4808 (in Swedish)). However, I think areas of study other than English will see the majority of that loss.

If you are ready to pay for a masters, Sweden is definitely a nice place.

I'm aware of the tuition and fees that will be introduced, but I had not considered that international applications would drop. I suppose that is encouraging. I've been rejected by two of the four American schools I've applied for, so we'll see.