F*ck 'em

psi456

So... so far, I've been rejected by one school. And basically the response I've gotten from people (now I'm talking friends, neighbors and relatives... not those in academia,) was F*ck 'em. Or occasionally, can you appeal the decision?

While its nice knowing that everyone who knows me thinks very highly of me, I'd prefer to have gotten into my school (or a school) rather than all the positive votes of confidence.

Should I take my co-workers', bosses', neighbors', etc...'s assurance that I'm very qualified and that I will get into one of these schools or should I hang on to my queasy feeling and perhaps apply to an additional PhD program with a later deadline? (Knowing that these schools are not AS top notch.)

I already completed a masters in my discipline a few years ago... and either way, I can certainly stay in my job, which I do like and would be relevant to reapplying to top programs next year with an additional year of experience.

Also, I'm wondering what you all hear from your compatriots when you get rejected.

My compatriots' responses are very similar, to the tune of "Their loss, they obviously do not know what they are missing, and are therefore STUPID!"

Sorry about your rejection. But, why are you so hesitant to apply somewhere other than your first choice? There are many highly-acclaimed and wonderful programs out there and for all you know, that top choice of yours may not have been as wonderful as you expected. Obviously not, if they've already rejected someone like yourself.

There is a myriad of reasons for rejecting an applicant; many of those have little or nothing to do with intelligence (i.e., funding limitation, research fit, etc). You should not let one rejection letter define you.

I'd only inform rejections to ONLY those that understand how competitive grad school admissions are (i.e., family, friends from my ex-lab, etc). As for the rest of the population, I am not telling them except about my acceptance(s) :). This saves me from those stupid comments about why I'm not getting to the school I want.

And basically the response I've gotten from people (now I'm talking friends, neighbors and relatives... not those in academia,) was F*ck 'em. Or occasionally, can you appeal the decision?...Also, I'm wondering what you all hear from your compatriots when you get rejected.

The first go around, I got those same reactions. I love when people assume getting in or out of grad school is like being on trial. No, I can't appeal a decision, tyvm. They clearly thought I wouldn't work, end of line.

This time, I'm not telling anyone about my rejections. I'd rather not have the statements of pity I'd get from my competitive fellow grad students. If I get accepted I'll shout it from the rooftops (I remember when I got the acceptance last time, I was practically bawling with joy), but otherwise, aside from *having* to inform my advisor, I'll just quietly graduate and move on.lol

Edited by fsmn36

ugh. I am trying to steel myself for rejection, too. It sucks. But remember--all that matters is that one school accepts you. So keep the candle burning, because all hope is not yet extinguished until the fat lady sings. Or something.