Does a campus visit actually help admissions odds?

mrniceguy

This afternoon i had a conversation with a peer who is applying to graduate school. She told me she visited the school this past summer and spoke with a professor in the program she is applying to. However, the professor is not on the admissions board this year, but did tell her to email him when she submits her application. My question (and hers) is will this actually make a difference by helping her odds? I said to her that i believe it will because she actually visited the school and showed a certain level of commitment in doing so... anyway, id like to hear everyones opinions so i can get back to her with a good response!! thanks guys

it probably helps if you make a good impression (and if they remember you visiting--of course, you'd help jog their memory by slipping in a phrase mentioning talking to certain professors on your visit in your SOP :P). If you made a bad impression, then it's probably a disadvantage.

I am currently waiting to hear back from more programs, but during my application process in the fall, I spoke with a professor who told me she was on the admissions commitee.

We definitely had a great conversation, and she asked if I wanted to work on a research project with her, which sounds promising. I haven't heard back yet, so I can't say that it definitely helps, but I do think that it shows dedication and demonstrated interest in the school/program/faculty member. I would recommend contacting professors of interest for sure. If anything, it gives you a better, clearer idea of what they're working on, how many students they advise, class size etc. If they don't respond, maybe you're better off not being there anyway! That's my logic anyway! Trying to stay positive throughout this whole thing!

I threw down the cash and flew out to visit 2 schools and met with several professors as well. I haven't heard back from those places yet. I'll let you know!

You want to be in a department that you feel supported in, working with an advisor that you (ideally) get along with and are interested in their research etc. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: This opinion is based on my experience applying to PhD programs two years ago (I've since changed fields and am reapplying) and what close friends who are professors have told me.

In theory it shouldn't. However, it does for two reasons.

1) If you are a professor and have met with the student who wants to work with you, it is less of a risk. They have a better idea of who you are and how well you will work with them. Remember, a professor accepting you as a student (at least for PhD programs) is a career move for them too. If you do great, it will look good on them. Even if they are not on the admissions committee they know everybody who is and likely have daily contact with them. They can thus flag your application for a more careful review.

2) Simple name recognition. If you have a strong application, you want them to spend the most time possible with your materials. Committees review hundreds and in some cases thousands of applications. At one point or another it all begins to bleed together. Anything you can do to stand out (in a good way) is great!

That said I have friends who are professors who hate students who do this. Others, however, prefer it. When I applied two years ago I sent a very brief email to the Professors I wanted to work with. I did this after the start of the fall semester, when they are back in the groove of teaching but not yet rushed by grading and finals. I simply stated that I was interested in working with them and wanted to know if they would be willing to speak with me sometime. Half the professors I wrote ignored my email. Of the ones I did speak with, I was accepted to the programs in which I had the strongest connection with the professor.

Disclaimer: This opinion is based on my experience applying to PhD programs two years ago (I've since changed fields and am reapplying) and what close friends who are professors have told me.

In theory it shouldn't. However, it does for two reasons.

1) If you are a professor and have met with the student who wants to work with you, it is less of a risk. They have a better idea of who you are and how well you will work with them. Remember, a professor accepting you as a student (at least for PhD programs) is a career move for them too. If you do great, it will look good on them. Even if they are not on the admissions committee they know everybody who is and likely have daily contact with them. They can thus flag your application for a more careful review.

2) Simple name recognition. If you have a strong application, you want them to spend the most time possible with your materials. Committees review hundreds and in some cases thousands of applications. At one point or another it all begins to bleed together. Anything you can do to stand out (in a good way) is great!

That said I have friends who are professors who hate students who do this. Others, however, prefer it. When I applied two years ago I sent a very brief email to the Professors I wanted to work with. I did this after the start of the fall semester, when they are back in the groove of teaching but not yet rushed by grading and finals. I simply stated that I was interested in working with them and wanted to know if they would be willing to speak with me sometime. Half the professors I wrote ignored my email. Of the ones I did speak with, I was accepted to the programs in which I had the strongest connection with the professor.

thank you for such a detailed response! btw i put this in the education forum because shes applying for ED. programs. She is applying for her Masters degree so I dont know if she'l actually be working with a professor. but i think its good she went regardless...