Email or Not Email?!

JessieLynn

Near the end of January I received a call from my PIO from one of my top choice universities to talk about "my interest in their program". I was asked a few questions about my interest, then I was asked what questions I had about the program. I was on the phone for a little over half an hour, and during the conversation my POI kept stating how she "found my application very interesting". At the end of the phone call I was told that the department would make their decision in a week to a week and a half. The same day as the phone conversation my POI emailed me an article she had written because she thought I would find it interesting .... now it's been almost a MONTH and I haven't heard anything!

I am assuming that their decisions are already made, but for weeks now I've been wondering if it would be completely inappropriate to email my POI to ask about their decision process and if its finalized?? If anyone has any input on this I would really appreciate it - I've driving myself crazy going back and forth wondering what I should do!

Have you checked what method the department sends out it's info? i.e. email, post, etc.

No, I haven't checked what method the department sends out its decisions. On the "results" forum here I saw that someone was accepted by phone, but that's all I know. I've been checking my online app status and it still says "decision pending". I was considering calling the department secretary and asking when (if not already) the department will make their final decisions?

I would most definitely email. It shows that you are interested in the program... you are still interested, right? You have already waited a month.. time to put in a gentle query. Its natural to be inquisitive after you've had that level of interaction. Btw, did you respond to the article your POI sent you?

I would most definitely email. It shows that you are interested in the program... you are still interested, right? You have already waited a month.. time to put in a gentle query. Its natural to be inquisitive after you've had that level of interaction.

I agree. I would contact the prof, it's good to show you are still interested.

So, thanks to everyone's suggestions, I emailed my POI. She very nicely told me that they had sent out their first round of decisions, but had deferred my rejection in case there was an opening later in the admissions process. (Unofficially wait listed??) Even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for - I felt a sense of relief knowing what's going on! It helped a lot that her reply was thoughtful, it definetely lessened the blow of not making their top picks. Now I can stop obsessing about whether their decision was lost in the mail or sent to my spam folder!