No News Yet?

prayalways

I applied to 11 schools and got one rejection from Princeton in late Jan.

Since then my email box is completely silent.....

I'm leaving the country next monday for about a week and I might not be able to get access to the internet

I wonder if I should email/call gradoffice and ask them about the result before leaving just in case...

This "no news whatsoever" is just driving me crazy...

Edited by prayalways

I feel ya! I'm going nuts just...waiting. One of my POIs said I should hear by, uh, last week. Nothing!! I don't know what the programs you applied for are like, but I know for my field I just need to hang in there. No news historically til later in the month and going into March, so for me, I am waiting until March to contact departments about my application. Can you set up an auto-reply for your email saying that you are out of the country and will not have internet access until X date? You could also add a phone number, if you will have a phone, in case they need to contact you immediately.

I applied to 11 schools and got one rejection from Princeton in late Jan.

Since then my email box is completely silent.....

I'm leaving the country next monday for about a week and I might not be able to get access to the internet

I wonder if I should email/call gradoffice and ask them about the result before leaving just in case...

This "no news whatsoever" is just driving me crazy...

Hiya, don't feel bad, I haven't heard a peep from any of my 10 schools yet. I would advise against contacting the schools. They are undoubtably very busy with applications and will not appreciate all the applicants emailing them to ask about their status. Your best best is just to wait and try to get to a netcafe when you can. If you get an acceptance, they give you many weeks to decide to attend, so they won't be in a big rush for a response. I know it sucks, but your best bet is to wait, IMHO.

Can you set up an auto-reply for your email saying that you are out of the country and will not have internet access until X date? You could also add a phone number, if you will have a phone, in case they need to contact you immediately.

I agree with Benzene. Enjoy your time away if it is a holiday, or work hard/stay busy if it's a business or family trip. I can't think of any scenario where a school would NEED to get in contact with you inside of a week, and it could get stressful and pricey to frequent netcafes.

Same here.

What makes it worse: There are already several results from my schools, my departments... Even acceptances. And I still haven't heard a thing. I'm strangely calm now (I was freaking out on Monday, though).

Thank you all for your great advices,

i think i should just enjoy my time out of the country and relax..

Go, have fun, if you are rejected or accepted, the decision(s) will still be there when you return. It would be GREAT to have the chance to leave the country and go somewhere completely different right now, get out of my head a bit! Go immerse yourself in another culture and enjoy it! :)

After neurotically checking the results section, people are starting to hear from the specific departments that I applied to! Does this mean I am doomed? I wasn't freaking out until other people started hearing back from these programs! I'm trying to stay optimistic, but... is no news better than bad news?

After neurotically checking the results section, people are starting to hear from the specific departments that I applied to! Does this mean I am doomed? I wasn't freaking out until other people started hearing back from these programs! I'm trying to stay optimistic, but... is no news better than bad news?

I've been reading the results board a lot (probably too much), and here's my 2 cents:

In general, acceptances seem to go out first, followed by wait lists and then last, rejections.

Sometimes, schools reject a bunch of people first, the people they know do not meet the minimum qualifications.

However, not all schools follow "rules", and therefore, the only rule is that there are no rules! :-)

Grad cafe is only a small sampling of the actual applicants, and only a few of those actually report ALL their acceptances and rejections. So, really, there's no need to freak out. Just wait.

I got my second news and second rejection just now.

The e-mail that i was waiting for asked me to check website and i had to feel sorry for their regrets.

well, at least i got some news before leaving...

i'm actually hoping for all the rejections to be announced before my trip and admissions during/after my trip.

Sorry to hear that. Anyway, I think it would be better(and probably healthy) just to enjoy the trip and forget the admission question for a while.

I'm experiencing the same problem and decide not to inquire ... It is true that waiting is torturing and going on a trip without a definite response from the admission office is nearly unbearable, but that decision(in/out) possibly should not interfere anyone's life that much after all. So i'd wait and keep the admission/rejection within its due proportion of my life...Good luck and a nice trip!

I am totally freaking out too. To the point where I have been subscribed sleeping pills. >_<

The results page says that of the schools I applied to, Virginia has sent out 1 acceptance and Chicago a few calls. At this point, even rejections are beginning to sound cheery. Better to know than not to know.

I see on the results pages, some people have been interviewed and accepted at the schools I haven't heard anything from. At this point I consider myself waitlisted. I think of it as a moral victory. At least I'm still under consideration, albeit only if someone declines. I'm not totally unwanted.

One place rejected me within two weeks. They didn't even want me as a last resort.

I just freaked out..."Your recent application to XXX University" showed up in my email inbox.

I thought it was about my grad app...but no, I live in the same city and applied for a job at the Uni. And it was a polite thanks for applying email.

ugh :blink:

I got an email last week from Maryland telling me they had information about my application (yay!). Come to find out, they were just telling me that it's been passed on to the specific department for which I applied.

I guess that's good news but what a tease!unsure.gif