Stanford EE vs MIT DMSE

tatli cocuk

Hi all,

I have been admitted to MIT- Department of Materials Science and Engineering and Stanford-EE with departmental (3 quarter) fellowship. My undergrad major is EE, so I am not sure if choosing Materials Science and Eng. would be a good idea; but some professors have research areas strongly aligned with mine, and MIT is MIT. On the other hand, I am awarded fellowship from Stanford and there are numerous professors I can work with. I appreciate any advice about the decision I have to make.

It sounds like you can't make a bad choice. The only question is, which area sounds more interesting to you? An undergrad degree is just a starting point, if you chose Materials Science and Eng, worst case scenario is that you'll learn alot. But if EE is what you want to study, stick with it.

It sounds like you can't make a bad choice. The only question is, which area sounds more interesting to you? An undergrad degree is just a starting point, if you chose Materials Science and Eng, worst case scenario is that you'll learn alot. But if EE is what you want to study, stick with it.

Thanks for the reply. My another question is, are those with 1 year fellowship always funded for the rest of PhD in Stanford (at least according to the statistics)?

• 1 month later...

It is 1 year departmental fellowship: tuition + stipend + insurance

Wow! Congratulation! Given the fact that Stanford barely gives out full fellowship stipend alone for MS student (without CA/TA/RA appointment and restriction of <10 units/quarter), your offer is outstanding!

• 9 months later...