Penn GSE

nanducket

I noticed there isn't a conversation this year about Penn, so I figured that I would start one. I got confirmation exactly 4 weeks ago that my application was complete and had been forwarded on to the faculty review board. I understand that Penn promises to make a decision within 4 weeks... anyone else find themselves in this situation?

Yeah, I got an email on Feb. 3 that said, "Your application for admission to the Penn Graduate School of Education has been received and will be sent for faculty review." I'm new to all of this, so I don't know much, but when I got a similar email from GW it took less than a week to hear the final decision. So I'm a bit anxious!

Edited by sarmstrong

Yes, I got the same email back in November, but when I checked the admissions' blog, it stated that acceptances had gone out by now, so I figured I got rejected. Also, the PhD applicant weekend was early Feb too.....again, there might still be hope, but I know it's a longshot for me.

http://penngseadmissions.blogspot.com/search/label/Admissions

I understand that Penn promises to make a decision within 4 weeks...

My understanding is they make it their goal to provide a decision within 4 weeks, but they do not promise to do so. An admissions rep at Penn told me they reach this goal nine times out of ten. A later decision does not reflect on the likelihood you will be accepted though... according to the rep.

That said I'm very anxious as well. I submitted my application on the 15th and it was forwarded to the committee on the 20th. Have you been reading their admissions blog? It is a great way to keep up to date on the status of everything. According to the blog they sent out Doctoral program decisions last week. Maybe they will get around to Masters this week.

Best of luck!

I just checked my application status online and saw the rejection letter posted there. I did not receive an email telling me to check the website.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. My letter was dated today, Feb 21st. Not bummed, just glad I know now! smile.gif

I'm curious to know if you were a Masters or PhD candidate and to which program you applied. Also, when did you sent in your application? I checked to find my message center empty. Thanks!

HI nanducket, sure! I applied for the Ed, Culture and Society PhD program back in November. I didn't get an email, just checked my application status, and there was a link that said "decision available" or something, and then the rejection letter was there.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Edited by oiseauaudio

I applied to the Masters in Higher Education program, and my app went for review on Jan 14. I hadn't heard from them by the end of 4 weeks (which would have been Feb 11), so I emailed them last week. They wrote back last Friday that I should get a decision within a week or two.

i initially applied for the phd in reading/writing/literacy. was sent an email in early january stating that they wanted to consider me for the edd in the same program instead. i agreed and haven't heard from them since! sigh. just checked my application and no updated news was there. i'm not feeling confident that i got in, but they can at least send out some letters. rejection letters are easy right? sigh......

I applied to the Masters in Higher Education program, and my app went for review on Jan 14. I hadn't heard from them by the end of 4 weeks (which would have been Feb 11), so I emailed them last week. They wrote back last Friday that I should get a decision within a week or two.

I applied and was accepted to that program early February, but I submitted my application early (Jan 2).

was informed via email and then had to log in to get linked to a PDF letter.

A friend of mine was wait listed for the program last year. She applied and received notice of Acceptance in mid-April with no news before then. BUT, she goes to HGSE now!

Good luck

I checked the website today and found an acceptance letter dated yesterday! It was definitely a reach for me, so I'm very surprised/excited. Good luck to everyone that is still waiting!

Congratulations on getting in!

I received an acceptance letter the same day along with a scholarship offer. Have you heard anything from the program coordinator yet? My letter stated that he/she would contact me about the visitation weekend and interviewing for graduate assistantships. I think they start interviewing later next month.

Congratulations on getting in!

I received an acceptance letter the same day along with a scholarship offer. Have you heard anything from the program coordinator yet? My letter stated that he/she would contact me about the visitation weekend and interviewing for graduate assistantships. I think they start interviewing later next month.

Congratulations to you too!!! I haven't heard anything from the coordinator yet. I am pretty sure I will be going to the visitation weekend, so I will probably e-mail and request information soon if I don't hear anything. Will you be going to the accepted students weekend?

Congratulations to you too!!! I haven't heard anything from the coordinator yet. I am pretty sure I will be going to the visitation weekend, so I will probably e-mail and request information soon if I don't hear anything. Will you be going to the accepted students weekend?

I am planning on going too. My understanding is everybody in the Higher Ed program are required to be graduate assistantships and interviews for those position start that weekend.

So, are you definitely going to Penn? I'm still waiting on Harvard before I make any final decisions. It will be a tough call if I get into both though. I think Penn has the better program, but I am already within commuting distance to Harvard and I just love the atmosphere there... or at least the atmosphere in the Grad. School of Ed. the rest of campus is kind of stuffy.

I am planning on going too. My understanding is everybody in the Higher Ed program are required to be graduate assistantships and interviews for those position start that weekend.

So, are you definitely going to Penn? I'm still waiting on Harvard before I make any final decisions. It will be a tough call if I get into both though. I think Penn has the better program, but I am already within commuting distance to Harvard and I just love the atmosphere there... or at least the atmosphere in the Grad. School of Ed. the rest of campus is kind of stuffy.

I am pretty sure I will go to Penn. It is definitely my top choice; the only reason I might not go is because my husband and I are not totally sure we can afford the move. If we absolutely can't afford it, I will probably just defer a year.

I am pretty sure I will go to Penn. It is definitely my top choice; the only reason I might not go is because my husband and I are not totally sure we can afford the move. If we absolutely can't afford it, I will probably just defer a year.

We are in the same situation. Harvard would not require us to move and Philadelphia is not exactly a cheap city. The one advantage for us is it would bring us closer to family in NC.

Well good luck! I hope you can work it out. I few of my friends went to Penn and they loved it!

No one has commented on this post in a while, but I'm still waiting for my decision from Penn! Are other people still waiting? I applied for a masters in International Educational Development. I got an email on Feb. 1st saying that my application was under review and I haven't heard anything since. I even emailed them six days ago and still haven't received a response! And I've pretty much been checking the website every day....

• 5 weeks later...

I was recently accepted and was wondering if anoyone out there that went to the accepted students weekend could give me their impressions of the school. I won't be able to make a visit before I have to decide, so I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

I was recently accepted and was wondering if anoyone out there that went to the accepted students weekend could give me their impressions of the school. I won't be able to make a visit before I have to decide, so I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Same here - couldn't go & would love to get someone else's impression.