Wait for waitlist or go for whats in hand?

biggus

Hi,

I got an accept (TA position) from FSU (Florida State Univ.), PhD program in Financial Mathematics, and I am waitlisted for PhD Statistics(Purdue) and PhD OR(Cornell), but still no final word from them.

So now I am in a dilemma whether to accept whats in hand or wait for Cornell and Purdue decision(where I would really want to go, even without funding).

How should I act in such a situation

a)Reply FSU a bit late

b)Reply FSU saying that I am still waiting to hear from other schools but FSU is still under consideration.

c)Accept FSU

If anyone here can give me a good idea of the Mathematics Dep in FSU (it was my safe option) and Overall ranking/reputation of the univ.

Any help is appreciated - thanks

Florida State and Cornell have outstanding programs. But I visited Purdue and didn't like it. Purdue is grossly overrated. Since Cornell is an Ivy League and one of the top schools in the world, I recommend you wait. It's only another week until April 15 (I have been waiting since January and I am still waiting on six schools to make a decision).

thx firecolon - Can you pls gimme some more insight on the PhD program in Fin Math at FSU?

I did some research myself about FSU. Read that FSU Business School is one of the top rated programs in Risk Management? (My research interest also lies in Risk mangement and risk measures). Any more insights as well?

Any help will be highly appreciated...

Thanks

B.

Go for what is at hand. It is unlikely you will get an offer before April 15 and you definitely do not want to jeopardize what you have.

I sent a couple of declines this week but I think the letters will not arrive before the end of the week. I think a lot of people that are declining offers won't send anything at all, they will just leave everybody in limbo (except some "highly ethical" people here) thus the decisions about second round of offers will go the next week. Believe me, you do not want to be in the group that loses their offer for a lousy chance.

If you really get more desirable offer after April 15, you can still ask for a release. FSU is a big school, nobody will stop you there to switch, I think.

By the way, I lived in Talahassee and that is absolutely great place to be. Fantastic weather, a lot better place than West Lafayette and a heck of a lot warmer than Ithaca. Of course Cornel is Cornel. :D

I am in similar situation. I was going to accept the offer of UMass Amherst, then UMD(College Park) informed that I am on the wait list. I decided to ask for 3 days extension from UMass. I shall mail UMD on the 16th asking about my condition. If they dont reply or cant say it by then, then I shall accept the offer of UMass. In the mean time, I am collecting information on UMD, so that if I am accepted at UMD, I can take my decision quickly.

I sent a couple of declines this week but I think the letters will not arrive before the end of the week. I think a lot of people that are declining offers won't send anything at all, they will just leave everybody in limbo (except some "highly ethical" people here) thus the decisions about second round of offers will go the next week. Believe me, you do not want to be in the group that loses their offer for a lousy chance.

You could always email the program to let them know the letter is on its way. That will allow them to offer the spot to someone on the waitlist today, rather than on Monday.

By the way, I lived in Talahassee and that is absolutely great place to be. Fantastic weather, a lot better place than West Lafayette and a heck of a lot warmer than Ithaca. Of course Cornel is Cornel. :D

Agreed on Tallahassee. It's a pretty cool place to be.

I don't know the program at Florida State well, but I know they're better than Purdue in financial math. But Cornell is the best you're going to get. My suggestion is that you ask Florida State for an extension if Cornell makes you wait any longer than the 15th.

be careful....you don't want to jeopardize the offer you have in hand. you can email them and let them know the situation, but given that every school probably still has people on waitlists, they need to know by the 15th. i would definitely tell them yes by the deadline if you hear nothing from cornell.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use