Where's the Enthusiasm???

livmoredyles

So i find out I got accepted to a Top 10 PhD program in my field, called my family and friends to let them know the news...everyone was excited except for me!

I'm totally blah as if I hadn't heard back anything yet.

Has anyone else gone through this or is going through this? I want to be ecstatic, this is a dream come true, but yet I'm just normal. I really want to be happy! :|

maybe it just hasn't hit you yet. i mean, i was definitely excited when i heard that i got into my top choice school, but the initial excitement wore off pretty quickly. however, i think once i move to my new city, start classes, meet my new classmates, etc... i'll be pretty excited.

I felt somewhat similar after receiving my initial offers. I think part of it is that we've been pursuing this seemingly out-of-reach goal for all this time and thus once it is achieved it doesn't seem so remarkable anymore. Also, since we've been so close to the admissions process, researching schools etc. for so long I think there's something of a "losing the forest for the trees" effect too.

For me, the excitement is dampened a little by the practicalities of life: getting out of my job, getting into a new city, dealing with the fact I'll be having a long-distance relationship for two years; etc. But then I sit back and have a beer and think, "wow. This is pretty cool."

Relief is what I feel, mingled with a strong sense of remorse at what I've turned down. This has been one of the most stressful, tough decisions I've ever had to make. And in the midst of it I've had to defend my master's thesis! :shock:

My friend who's also gone through this process gets to feel the elation. But, boy did he have to pay for it. First got turned down at 12/14 schools, the two admits were no funding at 3rd tier regional programs. Was waitlisted at the 15th -- a very well-respected private with loads of funding. Fell in love with it during the visit, then had to cool his heels for a solid month waiting. Just heard he got in.

Previous posters are right -- probably for all of us it needs a little time to sink in. Right now I'm still a bit numb.

I have had similar feelings as well. Initially, I was relieved when I received my first acceptance because I realized that I hadn't spent the last few months of applying to phd programs in vain. As my other offers came in, including one of my top choices, I felt excited for about 15 minutes then it quickly wore off. Visiting schools was exciting, but since I finished all of my visits, I have been dreading this decision.

Good thing I was well along on my master's thesis because I would not finish in time otherwise. I have found that making this choice is an excellent reason to avoid work.

Good thing I was well along on my master's thesis because I would not finish in time otherwise. I have found that making this choice is an excellent reason to avoid work.

Hear, hear! All those visits do me no good if I don't graduate. I finally made a decidion so that I could get back to work!

Right now I'm feeling really sad about turning down an offer that I really liked. I really liked two offers and I chose the one that is better for me right now, but it is still really hard to let go of the other one. The people were so nice, I just wanted to accept both! So I think that is making it a little harder for me to be over the moon about the one I have, though I am still very happy about it.

For me it's been more of a roller-coaster ride. When I got my first acceptance, I was beyond ecstatic! I have been out of school for a while and have spent the past two and a half years getting ready to apply for graduate school, as I had to take a bunch of undergraduate classes to qualify for my field. The application process was grueling, and when I sent them in, I really had NO IDEA if I was going to be a competative candidate. So when I actually got in somewhere, it was a big thrill -- especially since my first admittance was one that came with funding. I was like, well, if this is the only offer I get, I'll be happy, because it's a good program and I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO GRADUATE SCHOOL! Then I got two more acceptances, and all of a sudden, I had a CHOICE to make, which made everything more complicated, and excitement turned to confusion, anxiety and fear that I'd make the wrong choice. Where was I going to live, which program was the best one, which was the best fit, etc., etc., etc.? I finally accepted one program yesterday, and at this point I'm mostly feeling relief that the decision has been made, although I do have some regret over one of the programs I turned down.

I think my enthusiasm will return and excitement will replace relief and regret as the fall approaches :)

Hear, hear! All those visits do me no good if I don't graduate. I finally made a decidion so that I could get back to work!

I second this, now that the April 15th decisions are over for me I can finally settle down to work - with a pretty picture (PhD) in front of me I'm going to work my butt off completing that MA!!!

I'm also lacking a bit in enthusiasm because I don't really want to move to Phoenix :? If anyone wants to tell me good things about it (NO more bad things please), feel free!

It didn't seem that bad when I was there! From the way everyone was talking it sounded awful, but it didn't seem so bad! Besides there are mountains and I'm actually ridiculously excited about seeing the sites in the SW!

I'm also lacking a bit in enthusiasm because I don't really want to move to Phoenix :? If anyone wants to tell me good things about it (NO more bad things please), feel free!

Well, if I go to UofA we can go hiking together... Does that help? Um, you won't have to suffer oppressive summer humidity? You're close to Mexico and San Diego and not too far from mountains and the beach?

Well, if I go to UofA we can go hiking together... Does that help? Um, you won't have to suffer oppressive summer humidity? You're close to Mexico and San Diego and not too far from mountains and the beach?

Haha ok those things help! I'm from San Diego so it was a big factor in my decision, it was there or Indiana which is 2 plane rides away. I am hoping I can find my niche in Phoenix, I just don't think I'll fit in too well with what I've heard of the people there. But I realize I'm not going there for the city, it just happens to be where the perfect program and advisor are! No humidity, good. Hiking, good! I've heard Tucson is nice.... 8) Oh oh and skiing in Flagstaff! You can't ski in the Midwest!

I remember when I got my first acceptance letter from Michigan, I was SOOOOO estatic because I had to push to move my application from the PhD program (where I was rejected) over to a MA program as I found out that I really need a MA in my field before the PhD and I really, really wanted to work with this Awesome Professor. I was so elated the whole week (thank goodness it was spring break otherwise I wouldn't have gotten much done)... I screamed in the phone and e-mailed family and friends. I told my professors with a big grin on my face and felt the excitement from my advisor who got her PhD from there. Then she told me that she had just gotten a recommendation form from another MA program... oh oops. Being polite, I just went through with it. I was still determined to go to Michigan.

Anyhow, the excitement did wear off and I knew I'd get in the other MA program. Once I actually got the letter, the dread began... making choices. Oh jeez. I just wanted to evaluate everything to make sure that Michigan would be the ultimate choice. It took me a bit to accept their offer... once I clicked on Yes, I felt really relieved.

Now I'm in process of TRYING to finish up my thesis. My professors are still very happy but somehow they're not quite letting my thesis go now that I'm going to graduate school and eventually get my PhD and should get this as close to being perfect as possible for possible publication. (As opposed to any other senior just looking to graduate and get a job, period, no more school) Okay, that's not exciting when you can't seem to hand in your senior thesis just yet because these professors start talking about graduate school and what kind of research I could do there (one of them seems to want to turn it into a dissertation...) and how this Awesome Professor told this professor how excited she is to work with me when they met at a conference. :oops: My advisor was telling me just yesterday of some of her grad school experience at Michigan and how amazing/scary it was for her to be studying so intensively in her field, even taking a class by herself with only two professors for 3 hours a week... :? But yeah, I think when people start raining on your parade even though they don't mind it, it can kind of makes you question. As another prof said, it'll take some time for it all to sink in and she promises that I will soon relish on this once the time gets closer. In the meantime, I'm just trying to go with the flow... even it if means putting up with my professors and the thesis.

You've obviously never been to the Midwest.

Woah. I have been to Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio and I have yet to see the ground raise more than 1 foot. Yes, you can do cross country skiing, I apologize that I did not recognize that. I guess I just meant skiing on mountains, silly me.

I am in agreement with the "Where's the enthusiasm?" title of this thread. Where is it? I think I have the post-decision blues, and I keep on second-guessing my choice instead of being really happy about going to this amazing program in my field. I guess I am just exhausted, but I keep on wondering what it would have been like if I had chosen my other top school (UNC-CH)...and since everyone wanted me to go there, no one (except one friend) is excited that I am going to Indiana. Perhaps it is making me less enthusiastic... :(

I am in agreement with the "Where's the enthusiasm?" title of this thread. Where is it? I think I have the post-decision blues, and I keep on second-guessing my choice instead of being really happy about going to this amazing program in my field. I guess I am just exhausted, but I keep on wondering what it would have been like if I had chosen my other top school (UNC-CH)...and since everyone wanted me to go there, no one (except one friend) is excited that I am going to Indiana. Perhaps it is making me less enthusiastic... :(

I was second guessing myself for turning down Indiana! The grass is always greener :wink:

Woah. I have been to Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio and I have yet to see the ground raise more than 1 foot. Yes, you can do cross country skiing, I apologize that I did not recognize that. I guess I just meant skiing on mountains, silly me.

Kentucky is not the Midwest. Ohio barely is (I consider it "Out East," myself). But, yes, Indiana is pretty flat. I guess it's different in the upper MW; we have some nice snowboard parks and plenty of small mountains. Nebraska, on the other hand, fits your description just fine.

Kentucky is not the Midwest. Ohio barely is (I consider it "Out East," myself).

Ahem, "Regional definitions vary from source to source. The states shown in dark red are usually included, while all or portions of the striped states may or may not be considered part of the Midwestern United States. Kentucky and West Virginia are generally included in the South and Pennsylvania is usually included in the Mid-Atlantic, but regions of these states are often included in the Midwest in maps, descriptions, and cultural delineations." So we are both right. And yes, I meant the part of the Midwest that I had been referring to the entire topic, I'm sure if you go North there are some bigger mountains. But I still don't know many people who go to Minnesota for ski week :wink:

I have three things to say in response:

Number one: Pooh on you!

Number two: The author of your book is on crack if he thinks Kentucky is even possibly a Midwestern state. What's next? Oklahoma?

Number three: For those who disagree with number two, please refer to number one (which, ironically refers to "number two").