UVA

nervousnelly

Looking at last year's results, it seems like UVA might be gearing up to send out results around now. Has anyone heard from them?

I haven't heard a peep from them. Does anyone know anything about how many people they are going to accept, how those acceptances are broken up across sub-fields, etc.?

All I know is that the size of the cohort is going to be smaller than in the past as the result of the overhauled program. On the bright side, funding shouldn't be in question for those who are admitted.

Interesting news -- thanks for sharing it!

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "overhauled program." What happened?

Hey, for all of you UVA history people. What fields did you apply for and who did you state that you wanted to work with? Looking at last year it seems that results were announced around this week. Best of luck to everyone!

I looked at that a while back, but it doesn't really say what has changed. I guess what I mean is, why are they now likely to take significantly fewer students than before?

I think this part is why:

"The graduate program in history is small, highly selective, and especially well supported by the University. If a student is admitted, the University will provide a competitive financial package that will include a stipend for living expenses, remission of tuition, and cover fees and health insurance."

More attention and funding means fewer students. Plus if you look at last years results for UVA the number of acceptances seemed extremely high for a top school.

Edited by K Ryan

They've overhauled the structure of the program (required courses and coursework timeline have been changed) and by all accounts are planning to accept half as many students as they have in recent years (and the cohorts have been shrinking for several years in a row now as it is). On the positive side for incoming students, those who are accepted should receive competitive funding.

Had a minor heart attack this morning when I went to check my status. When I logged into the website, it told me my application was unsubmitted, and none of my info was there- SOP, letters of recommendation, writing sample- all gone!

Called the GSAS admissions office and apparently I had created two profiles, one that was complete and one clearly not. She deleted the blank one, and now I can see the real one again.... long story short, still waiting for a decision, but that certainly woke me up nice and good today.

Had a minor heart attack this morning when I went to check my status. When I logged into the website, it told me my application was unsubmitted, and none of my info was there- SOP, letters of recommendation, writing sample- all gone!

Called the GSAS admissions office and apparently I had created two profiles, one that was complete and one clearly not. She deleted the blank one, and now I can see the real one again.... long story short, still waiting for a decision, but that certainly woke me up nice and good today.

Did you learn anything about when the decisions might come?

Did you learn anything about when the decisions might come?

reading the tea leaves from the past couple of years... seems they have sent out their acceptances on a Friday, and their rejections early the following week. Two years running is hardly a pattern worth writing home about though.

Still, since I have Friday off work, it will be a struggle not to sit around and refresh my email and the website.

reading the tea leaves from the past couple of years... seems they have sent out their acceptances on a Friday, and their rejections early the following week. Two years running is hardly a pattern worth writing home about though.

Still, since I have Friday off work, it will be a struggle not to sit around and refresh my email and the website.

With all this talk about the re-structuring of the program, I don't think we can expect anything to work exactly as it did last year. Why get all upset if you don't hear anything on a Friday? With fewer acceptances, they may be taking longer to decide. I'm going to just be patient and not expect to hear anything before March. Hopefully I'll know something before March 16th, because I'm going to be traveling in Northern Virginia that week and I'll need to know whether I should rent a car and make the drive to Charlottesville.

With all this talk about the re-structuring of the program, I don't think we can expect anything to work exactly as it did last year. Why get all upset if you don't hear anything on a Friday? With fewer acceptances, they may be taking longer to decide. I'm going to just be patient and not expect to hear anything before March.

Who do you think you are coming in here and talking reason and sense, trying to make us less antsy? The nerve...

Who do you think you are coming in here and talking reason and sense, trying to make us less antsy? The nerve...

Indeed. Far too reasonable. Bordering dangerously on fair-minded and balanced. All the things I stand against, and vociferously oppose. :)

If the results page is to be believed, someone got their results today. Huh.

Did you get an e-mail? I didn't get anything yet. Or are you just checking the application page?

Harbinger of things to come? I am forcing myself to get out of the house and away from this site and my email for a while!

My faith in the results board has been decimated. Last night I searched "smurf" to see if anyone had posted results from that fantastic village. There weren't any results, but I held my breath for a moment while I waited.

to be fair, they don't have that reputable of a program. Very little funding.