Just saw a Purdue phd acceptance on the results board... anyone want to claim it? Looked like the person received a fellowship, too, so the rest of us will probably still have to wait until late March or April for our acceptances/rejections/waitlist notifications. But congrats to whoever was just accepted!

Just saw a Purdue phd acceptance on the results board... anyone want to claim it? Looked like the person received a fellowship, too, so the rest of us will probably still have to wait until late March or April for our acceptances/rejections/waitlist notifications. But congrats to whoever was just accepted!

It definitely wasn't me. Between Austin starting to notify yesterday and now this, I'm probably going to have to disconnect my internet if I hope to stay productive this week.

Congratulations, whoever you are!

It definitely wasn't me. Between Austin starting to notify yesterday and now this, I'm probably going to have to disconnect my internet if I hope to stay productive this week.

Congratulations, whoever you are!

Agreed. I don't have a lot of hope that I'll get into either program, but the fact that they've started notifying is definitely shortening my attention span.

Thanks again! All I know so far is that the funding is for only four years - eesh! Doing a PhD in four years seems a little reckless to me, but apparently it can be done. :-)

Well, think of it this way-- do you want to spend more than four years in middle of nowhere Indiana? (no offense intended to Indiana or its inhabitants.)

It can be done! I've made a bargain with myself that I'm finishing in four (I already have an MA, though). Go, go, Gadget willpower ;)

Me too. The offer I've got in hand is for four years, though I've heard that those that take 5 years get hired as adjuncts for year 5. But I have a pretty focused research agenda and some other incentives to get in and out as quickly as possible (and I've got an MA, too.)

Looks like there were some more admits posted for Purdue. It seems like they went in one batch? Congrats to those accepted! Anyone mind sharing their subfields?

And a couple more today (though one is maybe from the other day. Is anybody else going to claim a Purdue admit?

I'm one of those. I'm stunned and staring at my email for the moment - and I applied to the Theory & Cultural Studies program.

And a couple more today (though one is maybe from the other day. Is anybody else going to claim a Purdue admit?

Hi weatherwax, saw your message earlier and hadn't been on an actual computer to respond until now. Congrats! Did you get any info on number of class size or anything? I have a feeling that all of the acceptances went out but I think they are a little weird with their waiting lists.

Thanks lyoness and transcendental. Unfortunately, the mail was very brief. No information except to say that the official letter was in the post.

I wonder if other Purdue lurkers may have heard something else?

This is pretty much my only admit for the season and so, it still hasn't sunk in yet. I probably won't believe it till I actually have the letter in me hands.

Congrats weatherwax!

Hi weatherwax, saw your message earlier and hadn't been on an actual computer to respond until now. Congrats! Did you get any info on number of class size or anything? I have a feeling that all of the acceptances went out but I think they are a little weird with their waiting lists.

My acceptance letter had the following statistics attached to it:

560 applications

45 spots

8% acceptance: "one of the largest and most competitive applicant pools ever"

This is a rough year for applications.

My information is third-hand, but just to keep a glimmer of hope alive for the rhetoric and composition applicants, I heard from somebody that they were just getting to those decisions last week.

Super congrats saususndbraus, weatherwax, and anyone else who got an acceptance. That's amazing and commendable, considering those numbers!

560 applications

45 spots

My information is third-hand, but just to keep a glimmer of hope alive for the rhetoric and composition applicants, I heard from somebody that they were just getting to those decisions last week.

Super congrats saususndbraus, weatherwax, and anyone else who got an acceptance. That's amazing and commendable, considering those numbers!

Have any Purdue rhet/comp applicants received notifications yet? I thought last week might be the week, but nothing. On a different note (and forgive my ignorance), but does 45 spots mean for the entire department? I was under the impression that each program within the department made their decisions independently from each other and had their own set number of spots. Is this incorrect?

Have any Purdue rhet/comp applicants received notifications yet? I thought last week might be the week, but nothing. On a different note (and forgive my ignorance), but does 45 spots mean for the entire department? I was under the impression that each program within the department made their decisions independently from each other and had their own set number of spots. Is this incorrect?

I think I saw at least one rhet/comp acceptance in the very first wave of notifications. And I really don't know much about the stats. It could be that they got 500+ applications for all of English and divvy up 45 slots throughout the subfields, but I don't know. At this point, I suppose, we just have to wait. I did hear that for Rhet/Comp the director is making those decisions and nobody else in the department. But, I would not stake my life on this claim. I'm just clinging to whatever random piece of information I can find.

Congrats on the acceptance, sausundbraus!

560 applications

45 spots

Thanks, Chris. And good luck to you!

I think I saw at least one rhet/comp acceptance in the very first wave of notifications. And I really don't know much about the stats. It could be that they got 500+ applications for all of English and divvy up 45 slots throughout the subfields, but I don't know. At this point, I suppose, we just have to wait. I did hear that for Rhet/Comp the director is making those decisions and nobody else in the department. But, I would not stake my life on this claim. I'm just clinging to whatever random piece of information I can find.

I hope that's the case. I don't see how literature professors could have much insight on who would make a solid rhet/comp student, and that goes the other way round, too. But I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt that most of those 500 applications were for rhet/comp. Even other top-name programs, from my experience with my admits, don't get near that many. They don't even make it to 80 most of the time. However, I know (well, I was TOLD by a Penn State alum) that Penn State does indeed treat rhetoric as just another subfield, meaning that some years they may let in just one person for the emphasis. Hoping Purdue isn't the same . . . Based on the website, the rhet/comp program seems relatively autonomous. EDIT: Oh, and congrats to those accepted!! It's a shame that Blakesley is no longer there, but it still looks like an awesome program.

Edited by RockDenali