Minnesota vs Johns Hopkins for Chemical Engineering?

Hsu

I know M got a considerably high rank in ChE, but JHU is a super place for Biomed, which is my interest...

Since most employers in USA really preferr THE Rank, and M also gets a better reputation in Engineering than JHU.... So it seems no worry about the future if I choose M....

Then what about my hope for Biomed... But if I choose JHU, the chance in Biomedical Engineering is little, which means I have to pursue a postdoc or just unemployer in future T_T...

What about your guys opinions?

If you were in the same situation, should you take the venture to choose JHU for your interest or choose M for a better and easier job in future?

Thanks a lot :)

Hopkins has a Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department and a Biomedical Engineering Department. They are completely separate and there is not much overlap between the two. That being said, there is some really great bio research going on in the ChemBE department that may match your interests well. Both schools are big name schools, and in terms of ranking as a whole JHU is higher than Michigan. I feel like your job prospects would be similar from each school, unless you are planning on applying to Chemical engineering at Michigan and Biomedical engineering at Hopkins, in which case I'm not sure what the job prospects are like for biomedical engineering.

Good luck making your decision! Both are great schools for engineering.

Firstly, thank you for your opinion...

But actually, it is not Michigan but Minesota Twin Cities, a great industry leading univeristy. While JHU, on the opposite, is a good research leading unviersity. So the job prospects, as you said, might be a kind of different from my point of view...

The problem is - I do hope to be a researcher in future (first choice: Laboratory/or as Faculty; second choice: Company), but people all says Minesota has a better ChE and blabla....

-I really love the Biomedical Engineering related areas, but it is actually a completely separate department in JHU as you also mentioned (which is almost impossbile to give any offer to an internate student in ChE...).

Even if their ChBE is also doing some similar work, it seems that they just cannot receive a comparable fair judgment from either ChE or Biomedical Engineering T_T ....

That is why I'm feeling hesitancy...

Hopkins has a Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department and a Biomedical Engineering Department. They are completely separate and there is not much overlap between the two. That being said, there is some really great bio research going on in the ChemBE department that may match your interests well. Both schools are big name schools, and in terms of ranking as a whole JHU is higher than Michigan. I feel like your job prospects would be similar from each school, unless you are planning on applying to Chemical engineering at Michigan and Biomedical engineering at Hopkins, in which case I'm not sure what the job prospects are like for biomedical engineering.

Good luck making your decision! Both are great schools for engineering.

Hsu,

I'm unclear if you're trying to compare Minn and JH's ChE or Minn's ChE and JH's BME, but, like you said, Minnesota is undoubtedly the better ranked school. However, I would not make the assumption that you couldn't get a job by going to JH. I don't know a lot about the biomedical engineering field, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that jobs for biomedical engineering are going to increase by 72% from 2008 to 2018. This increase is by far more than any other engineering field. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm Both are great schools though. I don't think you could go wrong by choosing either one. I know that Minnesota can get ridiculously cold and Baltimore can be very unsafe.