The Greatest Heartbreaker of All: Funding

alexrodriguez

Was recently accepted to a MA program with a half tuition scholarship. This particular program is not pricey at all, but I was hoping for a little more. The scary part is that the school is less selective than the others I've applied to, which means if I got 50% there, I can't expect anything higher elsewhere.

I'm disappointed in myself for blowing all of my money living in the city- could have paid off the remaining amounts. Just wanted to vent a little- I'm sure others are in a similar position.

Edited by alexrodriguez

Was recently accepted to a MA program with a half tuition scholarship. This particular program is not pricey at all, but I was hoping for a little more. The scary part is that the school is less selective than the others I've applied to, which means if I got 50% there, I can't expect anything higher elsewhere.

I'm disappointed in myself for blowing all of my money living in the city- could have paid off the remaining amounts. Just wanted to vent a little- I'm sure others are in a similar position.

Hey a-rod! Perk up! Don't give up yet!!

I will say that smaller/cheaper schools often don't have much funding to hand out. I got my MA from a small public school (very small), and most students in my program could only get a 1/2-time TA-ship to help with funding. That included a waiver for 3/4-tuition and about $500/month. Not much, but the cost of living there was also quite cheap.

Larger schools often have bigger purse strings and can therefore offer more money (and take more students). Although those programs are more competitive, the package that they offer is more competitive too. All hope is not lost. :)

P.S. You're a math person. Don't forget these are independent events!

Hey a-rod! Perk up! Don't give up yet!!

I will say that smaller/cheaper schools often don't have much funding to hand out. I got my MA from a small public school (very small), and most students in my program could only get a 1/2-time TA-ship to help with funding. That included a waiver for 3/4-tuition and about $500/month. Not much, but the cost of living there was also quite cheap.

Larger schools often have bigger purse strings and can therefore offer more money (and take more students). Although those programs are more competitive, the package that they offer is more competitive too. All hope is not lost. :)

P.S. You're a math person. Don't forget these are independent events!

Haha- well, I'm actually not a math person...I just entered that when filling out my profile. You're totally right though, and this did perk me up. Thank you!

Don't get down yet. There is just no way to know how and why different schools choose to fund people. For my M.A. the offers were all over the board. Everywhere from less then half to a full ride. And all the schools were very comparable as far as reputation goes.